All Settings lost!

Just started the simulator and it’s asking for settings like a fresh install. All settings are reset in the general options page. That is, all individual settings are gone. Really bad. Does anyone have any idea if it’s possible to restore all the settings? Is there a file where these settings are stored, or are the settings stored by Microsoft? I hope someone knows advice.

Hello there,
We ask that all members not use General Discussion for help, troubleshooting, bug reports, or advice questions. Your topic has been moved to a subcategory of General Discussion & Community Support.

Hi, try logging out of gaming services and Xbox apps, reboot the pc and then log back into both, that sometimes does the trick.

Do you mean a screen that tells you it will take 200GB+ of space, and the path to the installation, but the path was not what you expected?

Image was taken from here:

Something like this, but instead of update it reads “Install”. The image above shows a custom path, as it does not point at “C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local.…” etc.

It’s possible that the file that has that installation path, and other settings, could not be found, so it determined you had no MSFS install at all.

Do you mean a screen that tells you it will take 200GB+ of space, and the path to the installation, but the path was not what you expected?<<

No, several windows appear that request basic settings. Just like when you start a fresh installation for the first time.

That sounds like it lost the location of the local cache entirely. Even so it’s strange it didn’t pull your settings from the cloud, as if you had installed MSFS on a new system.

I’m not sure what else to suggest.

It’s even worse than I thought. All created flight plans are also deleted. It looks like some datas are reset to standard.

I can’t tell you off the top of my head where saved flights plans from the main menu reside, other than inside the MSFS user profile, but if those have gone, then it sounds like then entire MSFS install got hosed.

Even if you pointed the install location to where the Community and Official folders resided, you’d save yourself a much larger download, but the sim would behave as if it was a fresh install.

I’m willing to bet your lost your logbook as well. :frowning:

Yes, the logbook is gone too. I have backups of the Installation and the W10 system, but I cannot copy the relevant flight plan files from the backup as they are encrypted by Microsoft. Copying is refused. It’s not all funny.

Just startet MSFS and looked for the logbook. And what can I say, the logbook is present. I did nothin from my side to get it back, but it is.

1 Like

This happens a lot after updates with me. All that u have to do is go to app’s, xbox app, game bar and game services. Just restore them. Just repairing does not help.