All that is wrong with the MSFS Flight Model (Inertia, Stalling, Pitch Authority, Trim & Sensitivity)

has something improved in flight dynamics since the opening of this topic? Becasue i am not a real world pilot andi i dont know if soemthing has improved or not

I don’t think it has, with the new CFD model the C172 has actually become worse, stall / spin behavior is now seriously wrong.

2 Likes

Not a pilot here and I understand that MSFS is for a wide audience and meant to be accessible but I must agree that one of the basic feeling that could be improved is indeed the feeling of inertia vs mass on the 3 axis.

I think the (at least default) aircraft in general feel as if they are assisted by tech that compensates, predict and stabilizes them and make them somehow stable, coordinated and feel lighter than they are

Twitchy behavior is noticeable sometimes indeed

I believe that inertia and less stability or less feel of coordination, could improve the behavior of the aircraft and make them feel more like heavy floating masses
 Except for high tech aircraft that have tech that stabilizes and overrides basic inputs (aka FBW)?

Agree on the lackluster high AOA modelling of the 172 that tends to emulate steep turns and stalls (non accelerated),

As mentioned on another form posting, I’m wondering if the model tends to represent this as a linear response and not as an inverse exponential.

Get rid off FSX code flight model

3 Likes

The issue is that the (‘modern’) flight model is not based on the FSX code :wink: I wonder if it would be better if it did.

1 Like

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect this post. I’m new to the forum so can’t post a new topic, but as Trim is mentioned here, I thought I’d ask the question here.

My Trim doesn’t work as I’d expect, whether using keyboard, or bound to hotas buttons.
When I press and hold trim up/down, I see an initial microscopic movement on the trim wheel, then a pause, and then a continuous movement. I’d expect an immediate continuous movement of the trim (and trim wheel) when the button is pressed.

It’s exactly the same input as you’d see when typing on a keyboard - if you hold down the F key you get F then a pause then FFFFFFF
 And the trim in MSFS behaves the same. I’m assuming you guys don’t have this issue? Because it’s unusable. The trim wheel should move continuously as soon as you press and hold the input.

Has anyone seen this? And worked out a solution?

I’m on PC, I’ve got VIRPIL controls. (
I’m a CPL, with 30 years flying and 30 years of flight sims - so I understand what should be happening with Trim, I just can’t work out what’s going wrong with the input)

Thanks

Oh yes, trims are a pain here. I am a bit luckier as I can use a physical wheel of my G940 joystick for the elevator trim (trim axis), bit when it comes to electric trims
 Also, from the first versions, like FS9, FSX , MSFS does not have axes for aileron and rudder trims for the reasons my poor mind is not able to understand. I also do not see a way to adjust fixed trimtabs.
There is one thing that helps me a bit - my G940 is a force feedback joystick and I use a SimFFB utility with it and in this case my trims work without accelerations.

Are you saying that is how trim works in MSFS?
An initial input on button press, then a pause, and then continuous until button release?
This can’t be true surely!?!?

off topic question- does SimFFB read variables from the game? Is it any better than XPforce?

It is indeed the case. The only workaround I found is using external applications like SPAD.next or Axis and Ohs etc to bind it. I only found this out a few days ago and now I have linear trim response. However we shouldnt have to go through such workarounds.

I cannot believe that one of the most important control surfaces (I know MS list it as secondary) behaves like this. (watching someone fly irl out of trim and you’ll soon realise it is one of the most important control surfaces)

Even PC simulators from 20 years ago got this right. It makes it unusable (for me anyway).

All that effort of graphics, and none on basic flying? (Basic flying being stick, rudder, throttle and trim).
I had assumed I was doing something wrong.
Back to DCS for me then

2 Likes

It is indeed frustrating that some of the most fundamental basics have not been worked on in these last 3 years. I know there are complex things to work on like weather but things like this are easy fixes, especially since it already works if you bypass the sims controls interface. Inexplicable really.

1 Like

I can not compare, I did not try XPforce.

Here’s a post explaining this
(note that the acceleration got removed, but the “step/pause” is still present)

I believe this is a leftover from FSX. Same thing with all primary flight controls if using keyboard.
No idea if it’ll ever be fixed, I ended up building my own arduino/3d-print trim wheel because of this

I think this demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of basic and core aircraft systems on the part of MS.

And maybe a lack of input by the community here about such basic errors?

Every other modern flight sim on the market can handle it - DCS, Xplane

It’s not a programming issue. Somebody, somewhere has literally said “I don’t care if every aircraft works like that, and every other flight sim can model that
.we are doing it differently”

4 Likes

They removed it for a short while but with a trim speed to high, making people who were used to trim with single button increments feel it was much to sensitive, complaining enough to have the devs just put the pause/step back like it used to be and called it a day.

1 Like

I wonder why every other sim since 1997 has been able to do this without any issue?

feels like MS got a few programmers in a room who’ve never seen a trim wheel irl, and never considered consulting someone who’s actually used it. They then change it, after a few negative comments by people who have also never seen or used a trim irl.
i presume they think that every other sim on the market has got it wrong but they’ve got it right?

3 Likes

As far as severity of issues is concerned, isn’t this one relatively low on the totem pole though? I mean I can empathize that trim sucks if you don’t have trim wheel hardware like on the Honeycomb Bravo, but there are so many other flight model problems that need fixing too and I’d venture that they’re bigger problems than wonky trim response to joystick button presses?

It depends what you’re looking for in the sim/game. (Is it a simulator or a game)?

As a CPL with 30ish years flying and 30ish years of flight simulation (from PC to level D commercial simulators
.and being a software engineer), I have a good understanding of what a PC sim can/should be doing. importantly, I understand the differences which cannot be modeled accurately (turbulence, force feedback etc).

As an absolute basic, for any simulator - inputs for stick, rudder, throttle, and trim should work.

The trim input is the control input issue which I immediately noticed, and for which there was no obvious workaround, and for me makes it unusable. On a light twin, its the most used button on the aircraft. The most used button on the aircraft is modeled incorrectly.

Other people, who are there for the pretty graphics, and fluffy clouds may not notice the issue.

But Ive noticed the term ‘study level’ creeping in more and more these days
which suggests MSFS is trying to be a sim. But to have such a basic flaw in control input whilst using the term ‘study level’ is frankly false advertising.

As you say, it’s about priorities, do they spend time making the clouds fluffier? Or do they fix the fundamental and basic control issues?

Clouds, every time, theyre sooooo flooofy!

Study level cloud floof maybe. Study level aircraft, I think not.

4 Likes