All that is wrong with the MSFS Flight Model (Inertia, Stalling, Pitch Authority, Trim & Sensitivity)

Yup, so you’d need a custom animation event to limit the elevator travel.

But in effect, the elevator trim doesn’t move the elevator that much.

Correct, but at the same time we are talking about a fake animation where the joystick position doesn’t match the elevator position.

Yeah that’s something they’ll have to fix internally.

Without a control loading joystick/yoke? How?

Ah I thought you meant available joystick input (to the control). No way they can change your joystick position in your hand, what are you thinking?! :rofl:

Just like the elevator ‘snapping’ back and forward if you do a hard stall. No way that can be translated…

Wow some people have almost studied the physics of airplanes here!
I can`t add anything worthy to this topic except expressing my deepest respect for adding so much realism and testing the machines and rewriting the flight model, and leave modding the flight physics to you absolute pros while staying with Gimp and Photoshop for retexturing only.
Please continue your great efforts and awesome work.

2 Likes

The joystick doesn’t match elevator position anyway. At higher speed full elevator input does not result in full elevator deflection in MSFS although the in-sim yoke mimics the joystick the elevator has its own logic…

3 Likes

As another real world pilot, I too am baffled by how aircraft in this sim handle. I can’t offer much in terms of the advanced aerodynamic input but I agree that anywhere outside of the normal flight envelope has some significant issues. Even in non swept wing GA aircraft. For example, in a crosswind landing, a crab to side slip transition works fine in the flare, all until you touchdown. Standard practice (as you already know) is to increase aileron input into the wind as you lose control authority. Doing so in this sim results in the aircraft veering more into the wind, and the upwind wheel lifts off the ground. It’s impossible to perform an accurate XW landing in a GA aircraft. Also. I have noticed issues with how the wind affects the aircraft on the takeoff roll. For example, a takeoff roll (with a clockwise rotating propeller) with a crosswind from the right should result in quite a bit of right rudder necessary, given the effects of the engine and the wind. In the sim however, I have to hold LEFT rudder in this scenario to hold centerline. I’m not sure what it is, but there is major stuff wrong with the model.

5 Likes

That’s new to me.
Care to explain why, especially in jets or aircraft with counter-rotating propellers?

I think he meant left rudder because of the crosswind coming from the right, not right rudder, might be a typo. Or wind coming from the left maybe.

I would say it all depends on the strength of the crosswind vs the effects of the propeller. Whichever has more effect on the aircraft.

I haven’t flown in FS2020 in a long time and I wasn’t very happy with the way the aircraft behaved on the ground back then. But maybe it has been updated since then ?

Yes, I apologize. I was in the habit of typing “right” and got that one backwards. That was basically a convoluted way to say that even with a minor crosswind, the effect of that in the aircraft is far more than experienced in real life. This may connect to the inertia issued discussed here. In my experience, in almost any reasonable scenario the turning tendencies of a single engine piston aircraft outweigh the effects of the wind. Let’s use my original example for the sake of simplicity. As we corrected, a XW from the right would result in a need for some left rudder and right aileron to keep the wings level and the longitudinal axis on the centerline. However, I don’t believe I’ve experienced a takeoff (in a 172) where the forces of torque, gyroscopic precession, and spiraling slipstream didn’t outweigh the force required to manage the wind. You almost always end up holding at least some right rudder throughout most of the takeoff roll. In MSFS, the force of the wind is so strong that once the airspeed is alive, I have to hold nearly half left rudder deflection to maintain centerline with that right crosswind. I’ve never experienced this in real life, especially not with a 6 knot wind. Also, as mentioned above, using the aileron to aid in crosswind correction on the ground simply does not work, it causes the aircraft to turn slightly into the wind and the upwind wheel to lift off the ground. It just feels awful. If I’m flying GA I just delete all wind layers, because it truly isn’t bad throughout most of the flight envelope.

1 Like

Asobo have acknowledged that the ground model needs work. That (after they recently corrected, or allowed correction by airplane designers, of the rudder “lift” force, is believed to be the current stumbling block right now. It will come…

2 Likes

I hope it does come… but I’m baffled that so many real pilots seemed to have said it’s fantastic throughout the testing and early post-launch when something as simple as a crosswind landing feels so off. Sure, adding aileron deflection might not have really done anything in P3D, but at least I could use the technique for sake of practice and not have the aircraft want to flip over. I found this thread and decided to post after reading the responses of many who at least say they are real pilots and praised this flight model. It left me dumbfounded :joy:

I think it also depends on the real pilot experience when it comes to flight simulation.

If you take a real pilot who has never flown in a general public flight sim, then he might be impressed by what he sees. If he was expecting some “arcade” stuff he might think “actually it’s quite good” but if he is not in the mindset to find all the little discrepancies with reality here and there he might tell the developers “fantastic work guys”, just because he didn’t know something better could be achieved with more attention to the physics / flight dynamics.

Being a real pilot is not necessarily enough. You also have to be experienced in flight simulation to better apprehend what can be achieved.

And last but not least, we don’t know how much time they got to test the sim. You need to get familiar with the sim first, to get a feel of it. It can take some time. If they only had 2 or 3 hours of testing there is no way they could dig into the flight characteristics of every aircraft in every situation (change of CG, change of mass, land with different wind directions, perform some manœuvres, some dynamic stalls, check if the engine parameters are sensible, etc…). It is a lot of things to do when you are not familiar with a sim in the first place.

So maybe they had a genuine good first impression but didn’t get the chance to do some “in depth” testing.

3 Likes

Can’t confirm any of your findings. Just tested and at 6kts xwnd I need just a touch of left rudder at higher speed to maintain the centerline.
Aileron works as expected and if applied too much, it corretly lifts the downwind wheel.

Are you sure that you are using the correct, modern flight model?
Since you are having troubles with setting up your yoke correcty, this might be another reason why you are experiencing this weird behavior.

I haven’t flown a 152 or 172 IRL in decades, but other pilots who a current on these aircraft state that these two are already pretty realistic.

Can you point me to post where someone calls the WIP flight model ‘fantastic’?

1 Like

In a concerted effort to keep one of my favourite topics alive, is anyone current regarding Asobo’s recent stance on the development of the flight model?

It’s a small pity that this topic does not have more votes, although I am of the understanding that Asobo has at least somewhat acknowledged the flight model’s shortcomings.

3 Likes

Some things seem to be fixed actually, I have to run some tests to see what is still relevant and what is not.

6 Likes

Has this been fixed yet? It’s really unfortunate that with all these updates the underlying physics is not right.

A crosswind from the right is blowing you leftwards so you would need right rudder to steer you back to the right ?

No. A crosswind from the right will mainly affect the vertical tail of your aircraft and will turn the aircraft into the wind, in this case to the right. (weathervaning)

2 Likes