All that is wrong with the MSFS Flight Model (Inertia, Stalling, Pitch Authority, Trim & Sensitivity)

Except thats not exactly how you compensate for crosswind. You establish a wind correction angle with ailerons to counter the drift caused by the crosswind, rudder is only used to maintain centerline during take-off and to de-crab right before landing. In both those cases left rudder is required for a right crosswind.

In the picture you’ve posted, the sideslip approach requires right rudder (crosswind component from the left) and left aileron. Which is not a common technique to fly a crosswind approach by the way. Normally you fly a crabbed approach, changing to a side-slip during flare before touching down.

In strong crosswinds its common to to “kick” the aircraft straight just before touchdown as a pure side-slip technique would cause you to burry the wingtip into the ground.

3 Likes

You could add that applies only to larger aircraft to avoid confusion.

In small GA it’s a matter of choice and for beginners it’s way easier to perform a sideslip approach.

In fact you can fly a sideslip approach e.g. in a Dash7/8, but the passenger comfort suffers :wink:

On many airliners you can’t touch down with zero crab at higher xwnd speeds. (e.g. 757/767/777)

4 Likes

Even as a layman it is clear to me that the C172 lacks any significant amount of inertia. I would vote for this issue, were it not that as a new user I have zero votes to cast. Maybe my first post will grant me a vote?
edit: eureka, it worked.

Question! How do you find Xplanes model?

With this diagram you are now referring to a completely different scenario.
Previously you were talking about an aircraft on ground.
Now you are talking about an aircraft in flight.

Most important: You can’t correct the aircraft track with the rudder (short term).
If you apply rudder, the nose will yaw, but the aircraft will continue on its original track.
To actually change the track you need to bank the aircraft.

1 Like

Hm, a 172 is very light aircraft and doesn’t have a significant amount of interia IRL either.

Wrong
.When I take my wife flying ( which she hates ) she asks me not to tip the wings so I can actually do a complete 1000 foot circuit using just the rudder and skid around the whole circuit. It is not pretty but can be done.

Sigh, how about reading everything I wrote: short term.

I don’t understand. You claim to be a real pilot and you don’t know what weathervaning is???

Yes correct
owned 2 aircraft
real pilot does not mean you are very bright
! I was thinking about general drift off track .

1 Like

Please don’t tell me that you are correcting the drift during a xwnd approach by applying rudder! :rofl:

Do you actually want my Licence number ?
Also Check Pilot, Aircraft Inspector, Radio Licence

Is there a specific reason for your inappropriate and impolite reply?

Guys let’s avoid loosing the focus here.

The initial question was about an aircraft on the ground during the takeoff or landing roll, and with a Xwind coming from the right you need to apply some rudder to the left, to counter the effect wind has on the vertical stabilizer, as PZL 14 rightfully said.

Let’s keep the discussion focused so that possible issues can be tracked and hopefully solved. There is no point starting to argue about things that are not even related to the sim.

2 Likes

Wow, never heard that one before
 Interesting that she prefers flying uncoordinated over banking, it would probably turn my stomach upside down before end of downwind :sweat_smile:. Be aware that doing pattern work this way is also not particularly safe.

Anyway, rudder is not supposed to be used the you are using it
 Drift is corrected by turning into the wind (using ailerons), rudder is only used to maintain centerline, de-crabbing for landing and maintaining coordinated flight.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to necro this thread but I am curious if the issues with inertia and accelerated stall behavior have been remedied. As a GA pilot looking to possibly switch from xp11 to MSFS for home training in my simpit I really don’t want to end up building bad habits.

I’m astounded that DCS and IL2 have no issue getting simple things like accelerated stalls correct but they have somehow dropped the ball in a major way here. Very unfortunate.

Anyway- any news? I can’t find a roadmap anywhere that indicates this is actively being worked on.

2 Likes

Haven’t read the whole thread, but I find the pitch to be way too twitchy and nervous. Constant microchanges in pitch when flying in smooth air making it very hard to maintain altitude. Flying in turbulence causes significant changes in pitch. Just did a flight in X-plane and there it’s much more stable and smooth, like in real life when I fly my C-172. Trimming also needs adjustments as it’s way too harsh. It’s so much better in X-plane.

Anyone else discovered the pitch issue?

3 Likes

You can always tinker with the sensitivity settings to reduce jittery movement

I’m afraid it won’t help as this has to do with the way the sim simulates aerodynamics.

Axis curves are not there to create an airplane behaviour to your liking but to match your hardware control to the software. There is exactly one setting for your joystick or yoke, one. Not one per aircraft, but one per controller. If the controller has been constructed correctly the curve is f(x)=x. Or in words a straight line from the bottom left to the top right going through zero.

Actually.

What we have to do in the sim to even be able to fly without jerking the nose up and down violently is absolutely ridiculous and demonstrates a significant lack in understanding flight (and flightsim) controls. Or a lack of care.

3 Likes