Altimeter Barometric pressure adjustment

I used to be able to press the B key to set the barometric pressure for the altimeter, now it only works occasionally, anyone else noticed this Issue?

I have checked that my B key is working consistently in windows and it’s fine.

If there is no ATIS available how do I get the current pressure so I can input it manually?

I’ve also noticed that when I start a flight from many runways it’s way off e.g. runway elevation is 500 ft, altimeter in plane shows minus 4000 feet.

Not sure if this helps but for me the ATC always seems to give me the barometric pressure when I file for an IFR flight, when they give you the squawk code initially.

Also how do you even set it manually on glass cockpit planes like the Beechcraft King Air? Can’t find the barometric controls for the electronic attitude indicator, only the backup.

Same here… i noticed that since the last patch
B key does not seem to work properly.

Yes me too. I find the lack of altimeter updates a bit annoying. ATC says I am 300 above assigned altitude, so I descent by 300 and then adjust altimeter until altitude is true. Clearly a ridiculous way to do it! Would be easier if
-ATC confirmed altimeter after every instruction
-or ATC interface window was easier to scroll back through. Currently as soon as they talk to another plane, it forces you back to the most recent comm.

3 Likes

The keypress to set the altimeter did not work correctly in the original program in that elevations would go way negative, and I submitted it to Zendesk. The update prior to this latest fixed it for me, but the keypress does nothing after the latest update.

And I thought it was just me.

Did the B button automatically set the altimeter whether above or below 10,000 ft?

I only fly the GA planes so rarely get above 10,000 feet. Always used to work for me below that, now it’s just a lottery sometimes it works, sometimes not.

It works at any altitude and interestingly works better than ATIS, because ATIS will sometimes give you wrong values. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Is it possible that the ‘B’ appears to not have any effect because the Altimeter Setting hasn’t changed since the last time you pressed it?
I just did a test flight to try to duplicate the issue and am not seeing a problem.
If you are seeing strange altitudes appearing confirm you are NOT set to metric as that will cause issues.
To answer @kevnich, The ‘B’ changes the setting to 29.92 when above TA and to local when below TA.

Great…thanks.

On some flights the co-pilot apparently gets the altimeter right below TA even thought the altimeter says differently. But sometimes I have to manually await word from ATC. Unfortunately, ATC doesn’t always tell you the altimeter even when below TA

Hi. Hope I can help you.
I have had no problems adjusting the barometric pressure on any aircraft in the simulator(B). Of course pressing the B key works for me. Now, if you would like to do it in a more realistic way, logically you have to consult the ATIS for the Metar and the general information in METHAR. Simply searching the Internet for the ICAO of the airport you want and the METHAR of the same give you all the information.
Also, you can manually adjust the barometric pressure manually on any aircraft. You have it in BARO and HPA.(you can swicht it)
Barometric pressure is normally activated before takeoff and before landing. It is clear that in each contact with the tower they will give you the ATIS, (Tuning in to the frequency of the ATIS of the Airport where you are) Information ALpha, Beta, Delta, etc.
Example https://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/north-america.php?icao=KDEN.
In emergencies the barometric pressure can go from Standard to Active, even if this situation is not necessary, but you must understand that the higher the altitude the lower the pressure and viceversa. The barometric pressure is necessary to know it to calibrate the Analog and digital altimeter to avoid situations of geographic risk (mainly). Remember that you can always calibrate the altimeter on any plane, yes or yes.
Good Flights.Juankeiko

so do you press B once about 10,000 and B again once below 10,000?

IRL I would adjust altimeter every time I make contact and receive an update, unless above Transition Altitude, which is 18000 in North America, at which point I would set to 29.92 until descending below TA. 10000 is of no consequence.
In the sim I usually cheat a bit and press B about every 30 min in the air. Again, unless above TA. This ensures I can maintain obstacle clearance when flying through mountainous terrain. Remember that a relatively minor pressure change enroute can make a huge difference in your actual altitude. If you are sneaking over ridges with a planned 1000 ft clearance you may find that the tree tops are a lot closer than planned. A real issue at night.
If planning an arrival into an uncontrolled airstrip in the bush, use B prior to setting up your approach. You may find the field elevation to be 500 ft or more different from your altimeter. That can be catastrophic.

Hello again.
Each airport has different transition altitudes. The best way to find out is with the navigation charts corresponding to each airport. If, for example, on the ground you should set the altimeter quickly only with the letter B. Doing it with the pilots, the information is obtained directly speaking to the tower or by default, in the Staff Room, although this is nothing more than routine because at final, ATC and ATIS, give you that information. If you are close to the destination airport, and that airport is 6000 feet away, according to the navigation chart, you must calibrate the barometric pressure according to that altitude. I repeat, the ATIS and ATC of the airport give you that information, before takeoff and before landing. Always with Radio frequencies for communication. Greetings and good flights.

This is correct in Europe and some other locations but 18000 is fixed in NA. I believe New Zealand is now 13000. I think they changed from 11000 in 2004. Always a good idea to check your charts anyway.
I suggest either obtaining the Alt Setting from ATIS as often as possible when flying outside of areas where you are in near constant contact with various airspaces or make good use of the B button when ATIS not available. When flying in some areas you may be on your own for extended periods with no access to ATIS. Poor visibility or darkness is not a good time to be set incorrectly. Too many pilots fail to make changes while enroute.

Thanks all for tips…very helpful