Altitude Bug survived WU6

As I didn’t see any new Topic on the altitude bug since WU6 I started thinbking, it must be on my side.

As soon as I get handover to Center the frequency is constantly blocked with “…expedite your climb…” and “…expedite your descent…”.
So I started in the new “safe mode” that unloads any mod and leaves you with a vanilla MSFS.

Still the same. Frequency is constantly blocked with ATC telling all traffic to adjust altitude.

Releaso Notes claim that this was solved, but it definitely isnt for me.

Am I really the only one experiencing it?

1 Like

I am still seeing it as well, using PF3. The moderator, Jane I think, said they were aware and to watch a thread, but she didn’t say which thread.

1 Like

Still there

I tried a flight yesterday and I didn’t have the altimeter bug anymore. Are you talking about the ATC telling other aircraft to expedite their climb or descent? If so, it’s been around since launch, especially on live traffic where the ATC tells the aircraft to start climbing or descent. But the data coming from the Live traffic feature is downloading the altitude data from the real world. So if the real world aircraft continues on the same altitude, and the ATC is assigning them a new altitude, the AI aircraft doesn’t move, so the ATC keeps telling them to expedite their climb or descent while the AI aircraft itself doesn’t do it since it’s doing things differently in the real world.

If you set your Copilot assist to handle ATC, they usually have perfect reaction time to go straight to contact the ATC at the first available opportunity to do so. So it might be an alternative for you.

1 Like

Just give up on ATC, and be your own ATC. It’s not going to work for a looooong time

1 Like

I think the whole point is that they fixed it for you, though AI aircraft haven’t got the memo it seems. Maybe something that could be fixed through some config edits? not sure, but you just need to live with it unfortunately.

It is unbelievably annoying though I’ll give you that. Maybe hammering the Azure servers as well with the massive volume of pointless ATC chatter hence why some of the AI planes don’t even respond.

I use Pilot2ATC, but I have it set to not yell at me when I’m within 2000ft of my assigned altitude. ACARS, which I use to track my flight for my VA, reads the incorrect altitude and doesn’t detect when I reach cruising altitude.

Altitude Bug has been fixed. Tried several flights and various aircraft on IFR and it’s gone. Also use FS2Crew and it works perfectly. (Have to ask for flight Level increase till I reach my cruise altitude though!)

1 Like

I flew IFR from Manchester to London yesterday. I was at 7000 feet the whole way, and didn’t get nagged once.

That said I rarely saw it before the patch. It seemed altitude dependent to me, and you didn’t see it when flying lower. It may have also been influenced by the terrain. When over mountainous regions it would rapidly asks men to climb or dive instead of just leaving me at a set, safe altitude. It was like it was trying to keep me at a set AGL as the terrain beneath me changed.

The B button will update your QNH or you can do it manually

currently at FL400 , no moaning ATC for me .
2nd plane i’m testing 1st one went good also.

what plane are you using , flightplan ? let’s test this…

Flying in New Zealand. Went down to see the lake and my altimeter said 1000 feet (and yes it was calibrated) and I crashed into the lake. So I don’t think the altitude bug is fixed. Every once in a while I also get negative altitude (-700 feet when taking off from KCLE) readings on my altimeter.

But how about the other traffic on the frequency?
I tried Real World Traffic and AI Offline traffic and both times the frequency was constantly busy telling THEM to expedite.

This way it is not very annoying to have constant noise on the headphone but also makes it impossible to make requests or give timely responds as the Frequency is repeatedly busy for minutes to tell every aircraft to adjust altitude.

Will try again later today for a full IFR flight and see if it is just an issue while traffic spawns (I only did a few VFR flights of about 30 min each since WU6, but every time I tuned into “center” this happened).

Did 4 flights … no expedite to me or AI aircraft

I did read other 3rd party programs ( vatsim for example ) still show the wrong alt … but not sure on that

KCLE is 791 above, so you shouldn’t get the negative. Mmmmh…have you tried setting the altimeter from ATIS? Or “B” button?

in some area’s the ATC is very bizzy yes , haven’t fiddled with ai traffic to see if you can make it ‘less’

You are not the only one experiencing it. But I think it’s a different bug than the altitude bug that resulted in ATC telling you to change your altitude even though you’re already at the right altitude.

It’s exactly the same behavior for me. Once I switch over to center I’m inundated with “[Random callsign] please expedite your climb to FL…” transmissions on the frequency. No replies from the offline AI traffic either, and ATC usually doesn’t leave room for any answers. It’s also practically impossible to acknowledge any instructions given to me as the frequency is constantly occupied.

I’m not sure when this was introduced. Someone mentioned it was like this since release, but I have only recently started to fly with offline AI traffic so I did not notice it before. For what it’s worth, I have the AI traffic density set to its absolute maximum to simulate coms chatter, so it might be that it’s more likely for this bug to be triggered this way.

1 Like

“ATC tells me I’m 500 ft above assigned altitude and I need to descend. I check my Barometer reading and everything seems to be correct (29.92 IN).”

He is crossing 10’000ft… his altimeter is wrong, set basically to STD baro and not to local one.

That is a different issue. According to the bug filed and the patch notes telling what was fixed, it was the bug affecting us, not the AI planes.

1 Like

There is no need for a workaround, just a proper use of altimeter will suffice.