ALVR - How to connect from Flight Simulator to Quest 2?

I hear Flight Simulator audio on my Quest 2 (wireless, no cable connected) but when I press Ctrl+Tab the headset is not discovered? What am I missing?

Why are you using ALVR? You should have the Oculus desktop Software running.

1 Like

I want to try, with Oculus running what is the purpose of ALVR?

No idea, some kind of VR streaming solution. I mean you’re the one using it??

1 Like

Why did you reply with “You should have the Oculus desktop Software running”? Do you know that ALVR needs that Oculus application is running or what?

If ALVR needs Oculus it is unuseful because the very low quality of Oculus app remains. Understand?

Answer like “I mean you’re the one using it??” is not useful

Lol what. Why are you even using ALVR, that was my point. And then you ask me what the purpose of ALVR is. I have no idea, like I said, you are the one using it and talking about it.

All you need is the Oculus software. No idea what you’re doing with ALVR over there.

1 Like

Why are you even using ALVR, that was my point

Are you serious? If someone ask for something you don’t have to reply to use something else.

If you don’t know what ALVR does don’t reply.

Bye

If you want to continue participating, avoid posts aimed at other users and focus solely on the discussion.

From the Code of Conduct - SOP:

• The Skies are Open for All - Everyone is welcome to Microsoft Flight Simulator regardless of age, gender, race, sexuality, or creed.
  • One World, One Community - No matter how you play – regardless of platform, experience level, or reason – we are one community of aviation lovers.
  • Follow Your Checklist - Adhere to the set of rules from each community space. Skipping a checklist item can ground a flight quickly.
  • A Pilot is a Pilot - Treat everyone in the community with respect, and seek to have positive experiences with your fellow pilots.
  • A Pilot is a Pilot - Treat everyone in the community with respect, and seek to have positive experiences with your fellow pilots.

ALVR lets you stream your PC games to your computer. This lets you play MSFS on your quest without a cable (I presume).

As a rule of thumb, anytime you plan to use the Oculus headset, you need the Oculus software running. no ifs ands or buts.

But overall, you are better off with a link cable.

1 Like

You must reply to the other user, not to me, I’m the autor of the thread.
Thanks

So as soon as I have ALVR running both on PC and headset (I hear MSFS audio) if Oculus application is running can I connect from the simulator? I’ll try but when Oculus app is running on PC it says that headset isn’t connected, in order to connect to the app I have to start Quest Link within the headset but in this way the connection works through Quest Link application, non ALVR

well it’s entirely possible it won’t run without a link cable. I don’t know i don’t use that headset. I’m just trying to be more helpful than the other guy lmao

1 Like

I was trying to be helpful too but OP’s replies were so confusing (and borderline aggressive) that I didn’t even know what he’s talking about.

I thought he was under the impression that he needed ALVR just to get regular Quest 2 VR to work with MSFS. And then he starts asking ME what the purpose of ALVR is lol.

1 Like

you know what they say about assumptions lmao. No where in the post indicated anything about ALVR initially, so I understood the confusion from OP.

Regardless, Hopefully OP is on the path he needs to be on :slight_smile:

@Sal1800 I read on another thread that you connected Quest 1 with ALVR, could you exaplain how?

ALVR is running on PC and on Quest 2, Flight Simulator is running and I can hear the game sound on the headset.

When I switch to VR mode in Flight Simulator the device is not recognized

I haven’t used ALVR for a long time and find the cable to be more reliable and easy to use.

But ALVR only worked with Steam VR for me and over time, too many updates made it too difficult to troubleshoot every time. I liked the idea and when it worked, it worked quite well with low latency as long as you have a good Wifi signal.

As far as the headset not being recognized, that probably has to to with the ALVR driver not being able to present itself as a valid HMD. Beyond that, I’m afraid I can’t offer more specific help. Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, I asked on github in order to see if it is a problem like the one you described.

I use the cable as you do but I’m trying to use all possibility that I can, like Virtual Desktop, because more options is better than one :wink:

ALVR is in the post title though…?