Am I doing VOR Navigation wrong?

Hi - I’ve read lots of guides on how to use the Garmin GNS530/430 as well as GTN750 (I have the PMS50 version) and how to do VOR navigation. I thought I understood how this works, but either something isn’t working right or I misunderstood.

I created a flight plan from VOR to VOR using Little Nav Map. I exported it in MSFS format and loaded it from the World Map. I thought that creating the flight plan would allow the system to choose nav frequency and radial automatically but that isn’t happening.
Here’s what I’m seeing: After take off, I use heading mode on the KAP140 to get to the first track. I activate the first leg of the flight plan. I set the Nav frequency to the first VOR and dial in the radial. (Neither of these is set by activating the first leg) Once I’m on the right track, the plane follows the radial correctly. As it nears the first VOR, the GTN750 map track shows a curve to join the track to the next waypoint/VOR. However, it doesn’t switch to the next leg automatically and if I switch it manually, it does not switch nav frequency or CDI radial.
So it seems that all the flight plan leg is doing is changing what’s shown on the map - it doesn’t change legs automatically, nor does it seem to be controlling nav frequency or CDI radial. This is all with the KAP140 in Nav mode and the CDI set to VLOC.
I’m pretty sure this is not as expected.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

It won’t turn the plane automatically in vloc mode. The way to do vor navigation is to switch to heading mode before you reach the turn radius and then turn to the new track. Then set the radial to match desired track (DTK on the 750). When halfway to the next vor, switch frequencies and continue

Oh! Thanks. So what is the benefit of loading the flight plan in this situation? Just to know what to do and see it on the map? I shouldn’t expect the KAP140 and GNS or GTN combo to actually switch legs or make the turns?

Is it different when you’re in GPS mode rather than VLOC?

One benefit is you can easily pull up the frequencies by using “waypoint info”

GPS mode will basically turn the plane for you as it ignores vor frequencies and radials and simply flies point-to-point based on the latitude and longitude of the vors. Assuming you have a flight plan of course. GPS only flies what it’s programmed to fly.

3 Likes

Thank you !

Think of the map as just extra situational awareness. To navigate VOR to VOR you just need the Nav radio portion of the GTN. Having a flight plan in there just adds to the situational awareness too. But neither the map or flight plan are actually needed. The only time frequencies are auto tuned and the source switched is on something like an ILS approach but only if it’s been loaded. You can again just fly it with a standard radio and the relevant chart for reference.

1 Like

Thanks, clearly I had this idea in my head that was not right. But it sounds like if you are using GPS instead of VOR/radio that the flight plan does auto-direct the aircraft - correct? (And of course nav frequency is not applicable when using GPS). I still like using VOR navigation - it’s very interesting.

Yes the autopilot steers the aircraft to the course if using gps. Assuming that the aircraft has an autopilot capable of such. Not all autopilots can do this.

Okay - this finally clicked for me today in a way that it hadn’t before. I also realized something I hadn’t before (which I think should have been obvious but wasn’t) - that I can keep the same radial flying away from one VOR and toward the next. What I mean by that is that I thought when I switched frequency I would have to switch radial - but it seems that I don’t. I can just switch frequency around halfway between VORs. Is that right?

yes you can track inbound and outbound radials with a VOR. The directional needle will show you whether you are inbound or outbound. If you are heading 90 towards a VOR, you would be on the 270 radial, and if you stay on the same heading after passing over the VOR, you would be on the 90 radial.

1 Like