AMD Adrenalin 21.6.1 is out with FSR support

The driver was release a day earlier today. MSFS doesn’t support FSR, but I am hoping for the best for the longstanding CTD issue. I will not be able to test this till later today, but please post your result here.

4 Likes

Tried this out yesterday and I was seeing a lot more motion reprojection (ASW) artifacts and had to revert. 3700X / 5700XT / Rift S.

Still CTDs as usual. This is maddening!

CTD for me too

5600x
32Gb Ram
Rx6800xt

CTD for me too

@aut0mater Would love to know your settings as we seem to have a similar setup but I’m constantly CTD

MSFS Render Scale 100% - Open Xr 50%
MSFS Settings Low to Mid

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: Rx6800xt
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Aorus
SSD. M.2 Nvme
RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600
PSU: EVGA 850 GQ, 80+ GOLD 850W

VR: Reverb G2

Windows 21H1 Build 19043.1052

I have a similar setup to yourself and I was hoping that this updated driver would solve our CTD’s (Which mostly im my case seem to be Multiplayer related), but it looks like we’ll have to see if Asobo can fix the CTD problems.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X
GPU: Sapphire Nitro OC 6800XT
MOBO: GB X570 Aorus
SSD: 2* M.2 Nvme
RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200
PSU: Corsair RM850 80+ Gold
AIO: NZXT Kraken X73

1 Like

I have the same issue with 6900 XT. Rolling back.

I’m curious about your settings.

Why in the world are you using an OpenXR render scale so low?
My setup is similar to yours (except the visor - Lenovo Explorer) and I run at 100% in both OpenXR and MSFS.

Is the G2 that demanding?

@StopHalfling310 @50% its the closest to the G2 2,160 × 2,160 resolution trying to keep my 6800xt utilisation under 100% I can run OpenXr at 100% and the Fps is good but GPU is at 98 - 100% usage and will CTD in no time

I was hopeful as well for this update to help with CTDs but it’s now worse!
With the previous 21.5.2 driver I had Terrain and Buildings LOD at 200%, running 30fps with CTDs 5-30mins.
With 21.6.1, it sometimes does not make it to the plane before CTD. I have to turn down Terrain and Buildings LOD to 150% to fly anywhere now with lots of glitches/pauses and black patches at sides when turning head, and of course CTDs.
Motion reprojection is still no help, clamping the frame rate to 22.5fps but never generating the filler frames and making the world watery.

TAA80% OXR70%
VR: G2, 2D:1080P
GPU: MSI RX6700xt
CPU: i7 8700 (+ UHD Graphics 630, disabled in device manager, can’t disable in bios)
MOBO: Dell Inc. 0DF42J (U3E1)
SSD: 2TB Crucial SATA
RAM: 32GB DDR4 2666
PSU: 750W

Did you try clearing the shader cache ?

Hey all,

I just tried the 21.6.1 driver. Lots of artifacts and shimmering compared to 21.5.2 so reverting back.
No CTDs with 21.6.1 but didn’t have any with 21.5.2 either.

For the record, I did have tonnes of CTDs everytime I flew in FS2020 when I had a slightly higher OC on my RAM. I dialed it back and it has been solid since - no CTD whatsoever.

VR: Rift S
GPU: Powercolor RX5600 XT (mild OC)
CPU: 5900x (no OC/PBO etc)
Cooler: Arctic Freeze II 240
MOBO: ASUS Prime Pro X570
SSD: 1 TB Rocket Sabrent PCI 4
RAM: 32 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz (OC’d to 3333 MHz)
PSU: 750 W Corsair

Still CTDs on my RT5700XT too!!!
I’m hoping that either Win 11 or DX12 somehow resolves this issue when they are released…

2 Likes

OK, maybe it’s not worse, but it’s not better (see previous post).
I found two things that happened that both slowed down the fps in VR and caused crashes in menu even before starting a flight in VR.

1. Enhanced sync in the previous driver did not seem to make a difference ON or OFF. I must have left it ON and in the latest driver this allowed the 2D screen to have unlimited FPS despite the PC V-sync setting in MSFS being ON. Turning Enhanced sync OFF brought the VR frame rates back to their previous rates and stopped the CDTs in menus (but not the CDTs in flight).
  2. Sometimes, after a CTD, the MSFS PC V-sync setting will be OFF when restarting the game. This causes the same symptoms as having Enhanced sync ON.

Thanks for the suggestion StretchMussel60, I tried clearing the shader cache but it made no difference.

Sorry to keep posting but I had to share my delight. It had got to the point where no matter what settings I changed I could not get more than 2 minutes flight time and I was fearing my card was damaged.

I reinstalled the driver with the factory reset box ticked and user settings unticked and now I just flew for over an hour and the display was crisp, like I had PC res set to 200% but it was set to 100%. So crisp I am tempted to reduce settings to get higher fps but right now I am saying I will never touch the settings again!

It did CDT after an hour, but I’m not sure if that because I Live Paused it while I went to get refreshment and it got lonely. I came back to find it had died.

Note: After reinstalling, a message popped up telling me a high DPI screen had been detected (G2) and suggested I turn on Virtual Super Resolution. I haven’t tried this yet but I also noticed the other display controls to change display colour which I might play with to make the ground brighter, later when I get over my fear of changing settings. Anyway, I don’t know if it is working better because I had the G2 plugged in while reinstalling the driver or something has been reset, or because I left it at default auto tuning but I am delighted it is working again and my card hasn’t been fried by my fiddling.

@MatfinkTheWise

How’s the drive been running for ya?

quest 2 users cannot run this newer driver as it destroys oculus home and software.

1 Like

21.6.1 still CTDs but the display is crisp. I’ve just installed 21.6.2. Never noticed Desktop Window Manager drawing 60% GPU as MSFS starts up before. I’ll see how long I can fly for now.

1 Like

I was taken back abit by this latest announcment of new Addrenalin drivers.They usually seem to take longer between releases.Would I be right in thinking it has been less than a month since the 21.6.1 release?
I noticed you can activate the bar now,apparently this allows your video card to use full memory bandwidth.At any rate I did not notice any change in performance,would be surprised if this latest set do much.

Under the known issues oculus users are screwed for now as both the newer drivers bonk oculus software.

@MatfinkTheWise Good luck with the flight and testing.

1 Like