AMD CPU’s and Stuttering, The Cause & The Fix

I don’t know if this common knowledge but as I keep reading about stuttering it is certain at least some of it is being caused by the following issue;

If you have Windows 11 it will definitely be an issue as you must have TPM enabled to install it. This is something that I’ve experienced it myself, where the sim will literally drop to 1 or 2 fps for a couple of seconds. It would be very easy to blame Asobo (unfairly) but it isn’t always the sim that is at fault.

Whilst the full release candidate for the updated BIOS isn’t yet available you can get the beta. It has been available for a good while and having not seen any reports of people having problems with it I tried it the other day and have had no issues. More importantly, it has got rid of the stutters.

Remember flashing your BIOS, although very straightforward, will get rid of any existing settings so make a note of them. If you don’t adjust BIOS settings remember that at the very least you will need to re-enable DOCP / XMP so your memory is running at the correct speed.

You will be able to find the beta (and the eventual full release) on your motherboard manufacturers site. FWIW here is the BIOS beta for anyone with an ASUS X570F motherboard.

You should also be able to find a similar instructional video on how to do it if you’re not sure. Here is the one for ASUS boards…

It goes without saying that you must make sure the BIOS you’re downloading is the correct one for your board!

3 Likes

My motherboard vendor just released a BIOS /UEFI update based on Agesa 1207. I’m gonna flash it and report back if it makes any difference.

1 Like

Of course, I should have thought it might just be ASUS that have it as a beta for now.

Hope it helps you!

Happens in Win10 too. It‘s a 2 seconds heavy stutter of the whole system and not limited to the sim. It happens every now and then. Apparently fixes are due, but I‘m not up to date there.

I’m running Windsows 11 on an ASUS B450 chipset M/B on the previous Bios to the one you are suggesting, and I’m not experiencing any stuttering issues.
The one on their website was released on 12th May 2022 but is still listed as Beta

Version 3802 Beta Version
2022/05/12 10.76 MBytes

PRIME B450-PLUS BIOS 3802
"Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.7

I’ll probably give it a try once it’s out of beta but as I said I’m not noticing any issues with the current Bios.

I’ve had this tpm stuttering issue since 2020 and it’s just a shame for amd to only acknowledge and fix it after 2 years…

Could that possibly be because forums tend to be places where people vent and rant, and very few follow through with meaningful bug reports? “I have an AMD and it stutters in MSFS2020” isn’t a very actionable complaint.

2 Likes

The VR stuttering bug is not resolved yet unfortunately in Win 11. That’s clearly a Win 11 bug which is reproduced only in the Insiders Dev & Beta Releases. In the official public one everything is fine.

Thank you. I see I have another BIOS Update for my ASUS ROG Crosshair HERO VIII dated 4/29/2022 also updating AGESA 1206b to 1207. I’ll be flashing and I’ll get back to you. The 'lag" seems to get worse all the time particularly around airports on landings and take-offs. Wondered if it was my internet connection AT&T Fiber-optic??

NO JOY! Same stutter. Not a BETA BIOS either. V.4201 4/26/2022

Hey @JetWash1023. I moved your informative post into the #self-service:pc-hardware category where users typically go to discuss CPU and performance issues raised in your post. I also added a couple tags to help with searchability. Hope others find this information helpful.

1 Like

No worries, apologies for not going there in the first place. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Same here, the performance is still awful!

I am in the Windows 11 Beta channel and I think this is the reason of the stuttering.
Probably the public release is better?

1 Like

I can’t be sure as it’s not always the same. New update last night. Developer mode shows more than I really understand besides all green and then reds and “Limited by GPU” which is an ASUS TUF RTX3090 O24G. Don’t know what it’s telling me. I don’t write or read computer codes. Keep posting though, I learn something new everyday. Thanks, Hank. :beers:

1 Like