AMD RX 6900 XT performance issues

Hello all

Today i upgraded my gtx 1080ti to AMD RX 6900 XT, unfortunately i ended up with lower FPS rather increasing. I am averaging now at 28 fps. On ultra or even if i lower setting to minimum i dont see a single change in FPS all averaging at 28 fps. GPU Util 50-60% CPU util 20-30%. I tried with vsyn on and off. I did a complete pc format to make sure no nvidia drivers are left behind, i tried everything almos. Any advice here?
Thanks alot

Specs
CPU I7 9700k
GPU Rx 6900 XT
RAM 32 gb 3200
Screen Samsung Odyssey 27" 2k
Ultra settings

Oh mate, poor little soul :frowning: I wish you the best luck there.
I wish I had your 1080ti though lol

Wait for the next patch/hotfix. Likely not your setup but the already well-known performance issues with FS2020. Grab some popcorn and read some of the forum posts.

1 Like

Yeah, lots of people with very expensive cpu and gpu are complaining about the same, for me with a mediocre pc, my biggest issue are the amd drivers, I had to roll back to October version. Those after that only cause me CTD.
I can fly with A320 nx only between 45 an 60 at medium settings and 25 to 35 I think with high settings. All situations are caused by main thread limitation. Also, my ram goes to 10 or 12 gigs on Sim usage and my gpu only goes to 4 or 5 max and in both case those fps are alway jumping like crazy.
My specs are:
Amd ryzen 7 3800x oc to 4.5 all cores;
Noctua d15h dual fan 140mm;
Sapphire nitro Rx 5700xt 8gb oc edition;
X470 gaming plus max;
Gskill trident z rgb Amd edition cl16 3200mhz 2x8gb;
2 ssd 500gb and 2 hdd, one with 1.5tb and 1 with 1tb.
Not the top machine but can do some flights, even with not much fps.

Makes no sense. I get more FPS with my RX 5500 XT.

Just to make sure, and I know it may seem obvious but, did you check that Radeon Chill is not active to limit the FPS?

Hello,
running a simular setup like yours.
Intel I9-10900K
R6900XT
RAM 16Gb
Eyefinity setup 7810X1440 (3X2560X1440 with bezel compensation) + 4th monitor
Ultra settings
When MSFS is maximized (7810X1440) I have between 25 and 30fps, which I consider smooth, and MSI afterburner shows a powerdraw of 250W, with 1 CPU-core hovering between 80-90%
Scaling the MSFS window back to <25601440 increases frame rates to 40-50 (Heavily depending on weather conditions) and powerdraw down to 160W
All my monitors have fixed refreshrates.
I doubt that MSFS will ever be able to produce 144fps
Your GPU Util is between 50-60%, this means that something is holding it back for more framerates.
Have you looked at the graphics settings in your Radeon software?

As your monitor is AMD Freesync Premium, there is an Radeon Enhanced Sync option

I didn’t change anything on my amd settings, I will try to upload a few pics to show you my fps at medium settings
Inside cockpit the fps jump from 30 to 40/45 and sometimes reach 50
outside varies from 45/50 up to 65 and sometimes reach near 70 fps, now i saw one thing that never seen before, my manipulators and coherent gdraw are switching values, maybe because i cleared my
rolling cache

in both cases you can see tham cpu and gpu memory are almost at idle or with low values

One could say that your PC is very powerfull , because not all those CPU/GPU transistors are put to work :wink:
Saves energy on those long flights :thinking:
Frame rates are decent

So after intensive testing.
My gpu is working perfect on other games, for example, assassin’s creed valhalla i get avg 125 fps on ultra 2k
More testing in the simulator, i observed the following,
All tests made in KJFK with weather clear.
Default airplanes i get around 40 fps on ground
Piper and the CRJ i get around 30 fps on ground
Still the issue is that gpu util doesnt go above 60 65%
i think i need to play more with AMD settings to figure it out
Even with the new update, no changes observed

Omg, do you, with amd gpu, get stucked with 2020 October drivers too? Every time I try to update my amd drivers, after a few hours their crash, only solution I have is keep with version 20.10.1.
Do I need to update my mobo bios to the most recent version in order to get my amd drivers up to date? This starts to be a fckng joke. I am getting tired from amd.

1 Like

Same for me. 20.10.1 are the only AMD drivers that are reliable for me when using MSFS. AMD has really let me down and I won’t buy another video card from them.

So with the latest update, all setting on ultra with rendering at 130%
Performance is great, default airplanes + fbw ~ 50 fps
Jf piper while on not big cities ~ 40 fps while on jfk ~ 30 fps
In general performance is great, more tweaking is needed but all in all things are looking great.

I am talking on forum, via pm with one guy which is changing ideas with me about these amd drivers crash. If I could find any solution, or at least something that could help I will inform. Until then, it’s a try and error.
Yesterday at windows event viewer I found something weird. Along with the msfs root folder error, I found something related to amd as well. At the same time that the game crash, my amd drivers crash to. The event seems to be related to nrdll.dll or some name like that. If I can, today, since I am a truck driver and don’t have much free time, I will update my drivers again, see if they crash and check the event, if the info keep the same, I will try to install a fresh dll and see what happens. Any result I will share here with you.

After spent almost all day playing several games, I didn’t found any issue so far, but doesn’t mean that my drivers don’t crash again. As promised I will tell what I did.
I have made a fresh install of my windows 10 with all my ssd cleaned up, then I install amd latest drivers, msfs fresh install as well as some games. I have played msfs for more than 1 hour and no driver crash. Even Ets2 or warthunder which crash with newest amd driver runs well. In my case, I suspect that could be one program which was causing my drivers crashing. I know that sounds weird.
sometime ago, when I plug in my headset to USB, xp11 if I am not mistaken crashes. I found that Logitech software was causing that issue and uninstall the software. No more xp 11 crash. Perhaps this was the problem again, since I didn’t install the headset software and did some tests yesterday and today without any issue so far.
My advice is, if you can, do a complete install of windows, install amd drivers and msfs and nothing else. Do several tests and start installing your programs and softwares. One by one try to test with msfs and see if after a specific program those issues start again.
Maybe this could help, maybe don’t, but it’s a give a try. For me until now, no more drivers and game crash.

I recently upgraded my GPU, from a 5700XT to a 6900XT.
Undoubtedly, there has been a significant increase in performance, but using the GPU-Z program I noticed that the GPU clock frequency continues to vary, passing from 50Mhz to 1500Mhz and then going to 350Mhz, then 1800Mhz etc.
I tried to overclock “forcing” the GPU to work from 2400 to 2500Mhz but it doesn’t even get to 2000Mhz, as if there was no overclock.
I tried with DCS to see if I had the same problem and instead it was more constant and above all it worked a little above 2400Mhz.

My PC is composed of i7 9700K @ 5Ghz
32GB RAM 3200Mhz
Asrock RX6900XT Phantom Gaming
Corsair RM 1000X PSU
Oculus Rift S HMD

Did you guys ever solve the issue with the 6900XT? I did exactly what the topic starter did, switching from a 1080Ti to a 6900XT and I can simply not get rid of those annoying CPU lag spikes ruining the otherwise great performance of the card. Similarly to JazzRT I also observed that the GPU constantly clocks down, might also have an effect on the stuttering I see with the 6900XT in contrast to the 1080Ti, where I avoided clocking down by using “prefer maximum performance”. Is there a similar setting in the AMD Adrenalin driver suite?

1 Like