AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D

Good to know because my i9-9900k at 5.0 GHz is underwhelming in MSFS2020

1 Like

I’m on the beta and both chips run pretty darn good. Best experience I have had since launch day.

The EVG X570 DARK has the ability to OC automatically in the BIOS seeking the optimum stable setting for your CPU. That may be the best alternative for now. I thought about holding off for the AM5 platform but the pricing I am seeing for mobos and the lack of a yet to be announced X3D chip has steered me to stay with AM4 for now. More money for 4090 GPU.

1 Like

The X3D family of Zen 4 Ryzen 7000s is rumored to launch in Q1 2023, but no official word from AMD yet. I suspect this rumor is true, as AMD will likely rely on the X3D versions of Zen 4 to better compete with Intel’s upcoming Raptor Lake. Most leaked benchmarks of Zen 4 seem to put it nearly head to head with Raptor Lake, so an easy +10-20% uplift in gaming from L3 would be a massive win.

I don’t think there is a CPU in the world yet that is not overwhelmed by MSFS in very congested areas. This will probably not be solved by processors in the near future.
Both the Intel13 and AMD7000, shipping in the near future, are good performers.
However, in MSFS, I believe that neither CPU will probably outperform the 5800X3D in frame jitter and average FPS.
They may both outperform each other at the lowest FPS.
Only the rumored 7nnnX3D will outperform the 5800X3D in MSFS. There is no reason for it to be below.
(All of this is just my opinion on MSFS)

1 Like

You are not going to have to overclock a 5800X3D. I’ve been running MFS with a 5800X and an RTX 3080 on ultra settings, except for LOD and traffic where I exercise just a little restraint, and the rig is never CPU bound. And I air cool the CPU with a Noctua NH-U12A. I think that your choice of an Arctic Liquid Freezer is correct, but a 420 is massive overkill. I truly believe that an Arctic 280 or even a 240 will cover the 5800X3D in MFS just fine.

You might want to take a look at this thread and follow the posts by Grabber523. You want high-end hardware for MFS if you can afford it, but, like he says, you can run this sim on a potato if you adjust the graphic settings optimally.

I am currently running a 5600X also cooled with the Noctua U12A and also running a RTX 3080.
Now that the SU10 is out with DLSS I’m looking to the 5800X3D to keep up with the GPU.
Do you think the U12A is well capable to cool the 5800X3D ?

I am using 5800X3D (360mm AIO water cooled) + 3090. I originally changed to 5800X3D with a 5950X config.

Since these processors are created with the same generation technology, there is no need to consider the cooling system separately depending on the CPU model number, only the power consumption if you are not doing extreme boosting.
If the actual power consumption is the same, they will generate the same amount of heat.

Therefore, it is natural to target 105W TDP and 142W PPT for thermal management. Both are with 5800X.
It is not possible to say which is enough or not enough, but in general it is natural to think that the same level of thermal management as 5800X is necessary.
There are reviews of the 5800X+Noctua NH-U12A in various places. I can’t vouch for them, but I think they are generally okay.

The positive for ease of thermal management is the low heat generation due to the greatly limited clock boost, and the negative is that the cache chip is on top.
In total, we judge the difference to be not much.

I think it will, and I intend to find out fairly soon. The X3D is now down to $399 (in-store price) and in stock at the Micro Center near me. It might come down in price a little more in the next 6-7 weeks. When it does, I’ll install it under the Noctua cooler and move to a 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer IF the Noctua isn’t up to the job. The rated TDP of the X3D is the same as the 5800X at 105, but that doesn’t mean it’ll put out the same amount of heat in MFS OR that the U12A will be inadequate even if that figure is higher than for the 5800X. In fact, at 9:10 in this Gamers Nexus video, you see the 5800X3D using 15% LESS power than the 5800X at the same workload. I think it’s very likely that the Noctua U12A will cool the X3D. Fingers crossed.

Since msfs is a very cpu heavy title and very memory dependent, 5800x3d with its l3 cache is the best cpu you can get for msfs by far, it’s significantly faster than any other currently available cpu. Star Citizen is also a perfect example where 5800x3d gives a big fps boost if you’re cpu limited.

Looking forward to hearing some feedback on your experience with the 5800X3D.
I think in Europe we’ll need to wait a lot longer for the prices to drop.
So far it hasn’t moved from around 500 Eur in most retailers. I’m not buying at this price when the 7000 series is just around the corner.

True, but going with the Ryzen 7000 will require a new AM5 motherboard and DDR5 memory - costs that add up. Even at 500 euros, the Ryzen 5800X3D can be an attractive option if you already have an AM4 system.

1 Like

My X3D has never ran hot with an artic 280mm radiator although the fans were upgraded on day one from stock to artic bionic f140’s👍

1 Like

You’re right, moving to AM5, I needed to purchase also the MoBo and RAM, but what I meant is that new gen hardware should make previous gen drop price.

On the other hand, looking at how Apple and Nvidia just recently priced their new products in Europe compared to USA, I fear we will get hugely jacked up prices for Ryzen 7000 and be happy if the 5000 series will not follow suit as well.

1 Like

The very latest reviews show the 5800X3D beating the Ryzen 9 7950 in gaming/simulators. I’m pretty sure it won’t beat the new AMD top-tier CPUs (all of which are now APUs) in productivity OR the Ryzen 7 7800X3D in MFS (if and when that SKU finally comes out), but for MFS now and for the foreseeable future, I doubt that it’s wise to wait for the 7000 series.

3 Likes

You might even want a new PSU, as well, because the AM5 motherboards will reportedly be limited to PCIe5, and new GPUs will have PCIe5-specific power cables that include 4 additional small pins to allow bidirectional communication between the PSU and GPU – that is, one wouldn’t need the new PSU immediately but it would be highly advisable when upgrading to an Nvidia 4000 series GPU and, probably, to the new AMD RDNA3 GPUs, too.

To be honest, I’m still perfectly happy with my rig based on a Ryzen 5600x and a RTX 3080, even at 4K.
It’s just that there can be CPU bottleneck in certain situations, which are now even more aparent with DLSS taking some load off the GPU.

I’m not considering to upgrade to AM5 just to have the newest latest, but the 5800x3d I think it’s the best upgrade for me right now and this setup could serve me well for the next years.

Was waiting for Zen4 for a while but now that I’ve seen the same reviews, they convinced me to pull the trigger now on moving to AM4 and 5800X3D from an i9-10900k. No point in waiting around for the rumored 7800X3D another 6 months, then pay a premium on it when it comes out.

My plan is to switch to 7800X3D maybe in a year, after the prices will have come down on the CPU / AM5 boards and DDR5.

1 Like

My plan is to switch to 7800X3D maybe in a year, after the prices will have come down on the CPU / AM5 boards and DDR5.

Then, wouldn’t it make more sense to get an AM5 platform right away (with a CPU like the 7600X, which is still excellent in MSFS) so that you can easily replace the CPU when the 7800X3D is released?
It just doesn’t make sense to me to invest in AM4 right now if you plan to purchase AM5 CPUs when they are released in less than 6 months.

Yeah I thought about that option, I guess I personally prefer the instant gratification of the maximum immediate improvement rather than waiting an unknown amount of time for the 7800X3D. This way will let me stretch the 5800X3D for maybe a year until I’m ready to upgrade. And I’ll sell the AM4 Mobo/CPU/RAM anyway when the time comes so I won’t lose out too much.