AMD Software Adrenalin 23.3.2 Discussion

Please use this thread to discuss the AMD Software Adrenalin Driver version 23.3.2.

Highlights

• Support for:
    • Resident Evil™ 4 Remake
    • The Last of Us™ Part 1
    • Additional Vulkan® extensions. Click here for more information.

Fixed Issues

• Application crash may be observed while playing UNCHARTED™: Legacy of Thieves Collection on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
  • Application crash may be observed while playing Genshin Impact™ on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 6750 XT.
  • Corruption may be observed while playing It Takes Two™ on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Connection failure or black screen may be observed using Parsec client with AMD decoder setting.
  • The Performance Tuning Stress Test may intermittently lower GPU usage before test completion.
  • The Performance Metrics Overlay may intermittently resize across the display on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6600M.
  • The Performance Metrics Overlay may have some missing units when enabled, or situationally become truncated after changing display scaling settings.

Known Issues

• High idle power has situationally been observed when using select high-resolution and high refresh rate displays on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Video stuttering or performance drop may be observed during gameplay plus video playback with some extended display configurations on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Some virtual reality games or apps may experience lower-than-expected performance on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Video playback using hardware accelerated browsers may appear blurry during upscale on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 7900 XT.
  • Brief display corruption may occur when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
  • Mouse cursor may appear invisible in Citrix Workspace™.

Important Notes

• Factory Reset has been temporarily disabled as precautionary measure while we address isolated installation issues that have been reported during PC upgrades.

Unbelievable, they managed, to make VR even worse. Now framerate is higher on my 7900XTX in DX11 and DX12 with Reverb G2, but I get extreme lagging when moving the headset horizontally or vertically. Will have the revert to previous drivers.

EDIT: Some facts: with driver version 23.3.1 I had OXR 100, Render Scale 100, most settings @high, TLOD 150, OLOD 100; after driver update I get 45 to 50 FPS at a custom airport (LOWW addon) with FSLTL traffic, when I got 40 before. To get rid of stuttering anisotropic filtering must be set under 8x8 → 4x4 with 5800X. 16x16 was no problem before.

EDIT II: stuttering/lagging stays bad, lowering anisotropic filtering does help a little, but does not solve it. Don’t know what to do. Obviousely I am the only idiot using an AMD card for VR.

Maybe you’re the only idiot but not the only person flying VR with AMD. I have a 6900xt and 5800x. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Try this. Run with WMR’s OpenXR, use DX12 and enable FSR at quality level. Mostly my fps is 45-50 and smooth. In the game I move every setting to its highest value and then back it off 1 notch. TLOD is 150 and OLOD is 100.

However at some of the busier areas stuttering sometimes creeps in. I notice I’m CPU limited using the advanced overlay from OpenXR Toolkit. In those cases you can do 2 things, 1) change from quality FSR to balanced and 2) using the OpenXR Toolkit limit your framerate to 38 fps.

Good luck.

1 Like

Thank you for the tips. It is just so frustrating, when you tweak everything until you are happy with performance. Then they bring an update that makes everything worse. Even very expensive hardware does not change that.

So what OpenXR render scale are you using? I set mine to fixed 130% to get a not so blurry picture. With FSR quality FPS are at 35 -38. That is ok, but worse than TAA and it brings some artifacts.

The 7900XTX should perform much better. In 2D it is a beast. AMD should really fix that VR performance.

In the end I rolled back to 23.3.1. At least I get about 35 - 38 FPS with OXR 100, render scale 100 and most settings at high. The sharper image is important for me in the airliners.

100%. I do notice some blurriness with words/letters on the dashboard. They certainly crisper when using TAA or bumping up the OXR render scale, but they’re fine/readable so it’s okay for me and I prefer smoothness above all else.

My 6900xt performs as expected in VR but I understand the 7900xtx has a ways to go before it’s optimized. It must be frustrating knowing it can do much better than you’re getting.

I think you mentioned you had a 5800x like me. I really think that’s the bottleneck for both of us, especially for you. I think you’d do much better if you can upgrade to one of the “3D” processors. It might not be the drivers as much as you think. I’m just speculating but I think a “3D” processor would unlock your GPU. I’m CPU bound so I’d guess you’re even more CPU bound than me.

I see the 7800x3D will be released soon. I’m thinking about it. If you have the money that might be just what you need. Of course that means a new motherboard and ram also so it’s a big investment.

Upgrading to the 7800X3D is exactly my plan. Thought about going for the 5800X3D to save money but that makes no sense 2 weeks before release. It just does not feel exactly right to throw more money at hardware to battle MSFS. All other titles I play perform extremely well. Maybe the 7800X3D brings smooth 40 FPS. I mostly fly PMDG and Fenix aircraft, so the CPU upgrade will be a huge step. Thanks again for your thoughts!

Sorry I couldn’t help more and good luck. If you do get the 7800x3D then please post back about any performance improvements. I’m interested!

Do any of you get a cursor issue when first time in the menu? Mine dissapears or glitches into the windows one with the loading circle. It might be a mods thing but it seems to have appeared after this 23.3.2 update. Also using a 6900XT

Also another point sometimes when i switch between msfs and browser (youtube mainly+ 5-7 open tabs) i get audio stutters now… It seems it came with this update somehow?! This should be a cpu issue i would assume but i cannot understand why its doing it now… i have a 11900KF fully unlocked on power limits (max load can go to 280W) and goes to 5.3Ghz. Anybody any experience on this?!

Ok. So I got my hands on one of the very rare 7950X3D and installed it together with 6000 Mhz CL30 RAM on an X670e mainboard with Radeon 23.4.1 drivers. This is really a boost! I get stable 10 FPS more in VR than I had with the 5800X. Works really good! 40 on the ground at a busy airport with FSLTL enabled and about 50 FPS at cruise level - with the Fenix! TLOD still at 150, OLOD at 100, OpenXR 100, Render Scaling 100, HP Reverb G2, ambient occlusion off, DX12. The rest more or less at high level. OpenXR Toolkit foveated rendering set at quality preset. I am very happy with this performance.

Some people do not get expected performance with this chip. I think the most important thing is to do a BIOS factory reset after installing the newest firmware. And installing Chipset drivers and game bar of course.

Thanks for posting back your results. I’m glad you got the improvement. It shows me a good CPU upgrade can pay dividends. I think I’ll do this before updating my GPU and then at least the CPU/motherboard side of the equation will be taken care of for the next few years.