An Open Letter to Microsoft

Kind of agree but one thing wouldn’t block the other. The basis for a proper simulator are there. Since the systems and AP be fixed the sim will leap.

Its not the system its attached peripherals usind Simconnect. 70fps still gives a slideshow.

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/79184-steam-installers-for-msfs-2020-can-pmdg-chime-in-to-answer-this?p=79233#post79233

1 Like

I don’t think any hardware peripherals use simconnect, but there are plenty of external software programs that do, and those will definitely cause stutters due to the current simconnect bug.

You’re right. I didn’t get selected as a tester. Just bitter!

1 Like

The more urgent thing is higher resolution mesh, also the coast lines are porked!

1 Like

Well said.

I think everyone’s expectations were a little too high for this sim to be honest, and the backlash that we are seeing is just from those people who thought this sim would be a perfect end-all product out of the box. While that was certainly what even I was hoping for, that was far from reality. Even XP didn’t launch with study level aircraft, and was more of a “platform” for future content. I definitely agree with what you said - being a part of Alpha 2 and up through Beta, I still see issues with airports that I reported months ago that never got touched.

I wish we could have seen what issues were being worked on, with a bit more of a changelog and being able to see what issues the devs consider top priority. We have that now, kinda-sorta, with the “Known Issues” page - but like you said… it’s now 6 days out of date. Personally, I think Asobo is a smaller dev team with a huge passion - but they just can’t work fast enough to keep up with the demands that the consumers are placing on them. I am here for the long haul as well, but if they needed more time (which, they did) I would rather have had a delay with a much longer Beta period than “release” into an unfinished product.

Upon doing some investigation, I noticed that the term “Public Beta” was used with the same release date of “August 18th 2020” when it was first announced. Maybe this release was first intended to launch as an early access title, but then MS nixed the terminology? Not sure. I can’t re-find the article, but if I stumble on it again I’ll edit my original post to include it.

Excited for the future of flight simming in general! Crazy times we live in, being able to escape into my digital plane is a wonderful feeling in FS2020 and I know it will just get better.

6 Likes

The main thing here is not about too high expectations, nor is it about missing features or bugs. It’s mainly and mostly about a lack af clear communication which makes a lot of us feel they are shouting in the dark.

YES, there is a issues tracker, but we all know that it’s not compete; there are issues (like the weather/wind bug, certain CTD’s that are not addressed or confirmed. It’s also unclear what their plans are regarding airliners (continuous improvements?).

I’m pretty sure that it’s going to take time but it’ll be fixed eventually. It’s mostly that it’s very unclear if they are aware of these issues in the first place, and if it’s on their backlog.
A good idea would be to share this info in some kind of form.

It’s a simple fact that you can’t please anyone. Even when they tell us everything there are going to be people having even more questions. It’s a difficult process and it takes time to fine-tune every aspect of it.

Let’s see what tomorrow’s update brings!

1 Like

Don’t have much to say. Just wanted to do my part in keeping this thread (Open Letter) near the top. I’d hate to see it get buried quickly.

3 Likes

I all I can say, and I have been saying it for about 18 years, is we need more open letters like this to Microsoft and Asobo. These letters need to reach ALL DESKS at Microsoft, Asobo, and even all the partners, and 3rd parties too; but especially the marketers, managers, and executives!

Since I truly believe the MSFS development team sincerely wants MSFS to succeed and they want all users to be happy, we NEED to tell them how UNHAPPY we are. If we don’t we will remain unhappy. The MSFS team is listening, and they are hearing people tell them the weather works fine by a few and more saying it does not work - HOW CAN THIS BE? Somebody is lying; so the question is: if the weather is fine, show me the cirrus and stratus clouds in ANY screenshot, ANYBODY! - Or has God eliminated them in 2020 and that is why we don’t see them in MSFS?

Yes there are some very welcome and wonderful aspects about MSFS - nobody can say its fully a blunder. However the omission of basics that matter can cause the whole project to be a blunder very quickly…think of yeast.

This community has proven to ALL flight simulation developers that; we will shut you down if we are not happy. We may be a small community compared to the X-Box community (yes we are separate), but our voice and actions (boycott/ignore/don’t buy/even laugh at) are swift in the extreme if provoked.

Microsoft came back, and this community as a whole welcomes them with open arms, hearts, and minds. The return and welcome were genuine, and this open letter (an initial warning sign in my view) is just as genuine. There are many other open letters like this expressed in various ways all over the net. Some bolder than others with varying levels of honor and respect, but the message is and always will be the same.

We thought that the serious simmer was being tended to first, and this has not happened, is not happening, and does not look as though it will happen.

It does not matter if PMDG, Aerosoft, and Orbx develop for MSFS. It does not matter if there is a promise of 10 year development. It does not matter if we can see our house. These things only matter if stagnation is eliminated, basic blunders are eliminated, and flight sim developers need to stop trying too hard to reach the masses by omitting essential basics that have been since decades ago.

Just make an amazing realistic flight simulator that flight simmers are pleased with (of course within reason). Bring NEW REALISTIC AVIATION features like pilot controlled lighting into the feature list. YES flight simmers understand if these advanced features are optional for the curious or beginner’s to opt out of with a UI choice. Flight simmers welcome gamers and the curious, but to appeal to them first is suicide for any flight sim…but here we are seeing it all over again.

As always, my intention and all of what I say, is for the complete success of this flight sim industry.

12 Likes

+1 one for me. No working DME/VOR is a no-go for a civilian flight sim. Sadly, the combination of “we don´t give a s… for the forum”, no reasonable communications about issues to be dealt with - as a far better example consider Eagle Dynamics, hail to Wags - and “send me UR money” is toxic… Let´s see if it gets better.

I wholeheartedly agree with this open letter.

MS/ASOBO - You guys need to read this letter and memorize it, then I suggest you adjust your course.

1 Like

?? Almost all the glass cockpit aircraft have working DMEs The G-1000 C172 has DME. The analog 172 does not, nor does the 152, though the 152 does have dual nav coms (both with glideslope capability) and an ADF, which is more than most real 152s would be equipped with.

The weekly updates are not what we are talking about here. Those are PR stunts meant for muggles. We want REAL interaction with the community, where developers come on the forum and talk to us, acknowledge problems, talk about development challenges, and also share the positive happy moments with us too. This is absolutely possible- I watched the Blizzard Overwatch team do it over the years, and that game was massively bigger than MSFS in terms of users.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t go that far. The game has some issues, but I’m not sure that has anything to do with marketing, nor should anyone be ashamed…

Well say my friend.
Game or sim?..
Get arround and see a lot (lot…) players landing in Lukla in a A320 or 747…or St Bart…
btw, im a simmers since 95, more than 10.000 Vatsim hrs.

3 Likes

Many thanks Chris for your wonderful words.

2 Likes

Another OPEN LETTER, really?

With the high expectation that Microsoft’s CEO will read it?
Don’t you think that you are overestimating your reach a bit? :wink:

When i learned here something in the last months that here is no communication with the devs.
Yeah, you can state your opinion in this holy halls.
And you can imagine that there is someone who listens.

Some great ideas have been stated here and many of em will never make it into the sim.

They are dealing with the obvious that they are seeing by themselves and the generated data sets
and yeah with the things that are cooking way to hot.

At least we have now the opportunity to self-service our needs in an own category.
Help yourself if no one else reacts… “Everything will be fine, Mr. X”
or as zendesk would declare “issue solved” :roll_eyes:

They are doing some great work, and some things are really going wrong. Maybe thats ok, it’s complex.
Nothing that cannot be repaired, if the devs will stay. Not just the first month and then fade out the major updates and switch their focus on the next “game”. There is so much potential.

Let’s imagine! :blue_heart:

2 Likes

How can “great work” and “really going wrong” be the same thing? It is not “ok”,no matter how complex it is. Making excuses as to how complex it is belongs on the INITIAL DRAWING BOARD, not AFTER it has been RELEASED!!

It is not foreign to the PC software industry, for company’s big and small to SELL (for a price) products with many limitations/bugs in conflict with the advertising. Consumers will debate about what is acceptable and what is not. But I tell all of you this: if we accept bugs and limitations on the notion of how complex something is or how much time it will take, we will suffer great loss. A company that does not have to complete a job but still get paid, will NEVER complete a job. This is what we have today- look at DTG, they make TS2019 and while 2019 still full of bugs they make TS2020. They did the same with TSW (still full of bugs) and now TSW 2. Look at P3D and X-Plane still full of bug fixes and we have many versions carrying over bugs and charging for primarily graphics upgrades and things that SHOULD have been included YEARS ago. Its like they hold back on purpose to essentially bankrupt the community…and all of us get nowhere, or take such baby steps that people start to notice…hence this topic.

Is it not better to release the best possible product with the most features possible- charge a higher price as needed for cost/value. OR if its is necessary to keep a certain price point, then MAKE IT CLEAR what is included and include everything completely.

If this kind of thing continues every thing will eventually become a “pre pre pre” alpha at double or triple the cost/value ratio, and it will be the FINAL release at the same time. Leads only to frustration for even the most forgiving and mild mannered personality.

So this topic is one of many that takes a STAND AGAINST this trend - it is unacceptable, always has been, always will be; and I’m glad greater numbers of people are finally taking courage in this matter…its been 18 LONG years for me waiting for this moment, and I have been simming since the 80’s.

6 Likes

Ever tried dialling it in? There are some VOR that do not work… esp. here in german airspace. What you see in glass cockpit is a fixed VOR that does not move…