An Open Letter to Microsoft

Dear Satya Nadella,

Re Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

I would like to congratulate you and your team for bringing back MSFS after so many years absence.

From the press you are getting it seems it’s been a huge success with accolades galore for the incredible visual representation of our Planet and for the undoubted marriage of several ground breaking technologies which have enabled this to happen. And your team is understandably, clearly and openly, wallowing in their success.

Many of us who participated in the Alpha and Beta were surprised to say the least, when in July it was announced that August 18th would be the release date. Many posts (subject to an NDA) highlighted this and voiced concern. We took time and effort, over 5 months, to highlight and report bugs and issues only to find almost all had not been addressed in the Beta. I thought “they” must have an RC they are holding back with most of the major stuff fixed. “They” didn’t.

This letter comes after considerable thought but the tipping point came yesterday when suddenly many users started to report stuttering, myself included, with nothing having changed on our systems. Many re-installed or even reported re-installing Windows to try to fix the issue. But the problem persists and all the while, nothing from your side to acknowledge the issue. Where was your Community Manager? Who monitors the forum for possible issues. Right now sending stuff to Zendesk is like writing to the Ether. Please read this: Stutter that has appeared in the last 24 hours

I look carefully at the posts in the Forum and can see clearly that there are many many satisfied customers who are fully or partially satisfied with what has been released. There are also many many who are downright disappointed or angry. There is no way of telling the relative proportions or who are “simmer’s” and who are “gamer’s”.

Throughout the Alpha and Beta I was a strong and staunch believer that Microsoft and Asobo would pull off the impossible and launch a simulator which would be both a game to gamer’s and a fully fledged simulator for the simming community. The Twitch Q&A covered this nicely but my conclusion now is that you have so far lost the plot.

The Forum is littered with your customers who can’t get even the basic simulator running. After 5 months in Alpha and Beta, why?

If you have someone go through the forum for you and identify the issues, it will become apparent that there are many common threads. Way too many to identify or prioritize here because doing so will upset users who have differing priorities or outstanding issues of their own. But maybe there are hundreds. So I would implore you to do the exercise and then have your people quickly work the list to get things fixed and to report to the community on progress. Jorge promising new detail areas and new “stuff” is all well and good but getting what we have, fixed up should also be on the radar and communicated at the same time.

I cannot speak for anyone other than myself so please allow me a paragraph of self indulgence.

• SimConnect breaks the program.

• No “steam gauge” airplane with DME, really important given that the Garmin 430/530 implementations are so far from complete as to be pretty much useless for this purpose because the units cannot be decoupled. I bought the top end Premium Deluxe version to get the 172 “steam” IFR that has been core to MSFS for so long. In the absence of decent specifications ahead of time, was I wrong to assume I’d get it?

• A camera system that’s neither intuitive nor easy to understand.

• Sensitivity issues with the control binding system which have been there since day one.

• Really deeply rooted basic performance issues being reported by even users with top end machines.

But core to my point here is that I’m not seeing many issues since launch which were not reported as issues during the Alpha and Beta. That in and of itself is inexcusable. Bugs on launch are to be expected but not bugs which have been reported for the past several months by committed volunteers who signed up to help you by giving their time to our community.

I don’t want my money back. What I want is the simulator to do what it says on the tin; simulate flying an airplane. I don’t expect study level but the basic stuff must be a good approximation. A Cessna 172 with enough to fly real IFR with “steam” gauges. And documentation which tells users how to fly the incomplete airplanes without discovering mid flight that some systems are INOP. So many posts start with, “Am I doing something wrong?”.

“Known Issue” posts are all well and good but for many they are way too obscure and long! And they are currently at least 6 days out of date. YouTube has many videos on How To in simulators but when you come back to MSFS, so much of the stuff is either INOP or working incorrectly.

Personally, I’m here for the long haul and hope you will do something to get this right. You rushed this to market and it shows.

Thank You.

Chris Stanley.
A Microsoft customer since cp/m on a Z80 card in an Apple //e.

119 Likes

Good to see you here. I am waiting till the B747 can do an autoland at Hong Kong…the real one not the new one. :slight_smile:
Hopefully one day the buildings in Thailand will improve but unless they start to listen a few of us may be the only ones left here to see it.
Ir is now really an ALPHA not even a Beta. If they start working it may get to be a sim in 12 months and a good one in two years. I hope so.

1 Like

Because the game is made for a gamepad and TV. The menu with large pictures proves it. Hence the target audience is fun entertainment.

And with a gamepad, kids use the outside view and are not interested in sensors with switches.

12 Likes

Beautifully written that man. I am surprised it hasn’t been clipped by the moderator???
Every time I referred to the Alpha or Beta versions in my posts they were flagged, and a gentle reminder re the NDA was posted. I am in the fortunate situation of keeping my dollars in my pocket, just waiting for the real MSFS2020 to emerge, as per the advertising campaign. I was going to invest in the Xbox game pass, but the sounds of the continuing posts outlining bugs etc I probably will just get frustrated…so I’ll be patient.

4 Likes

Right. Fly Tampa’s Kai Tak, Navigraph with the Kai Tak navdata and PMDG. Back on the IGS and Seventh Heaven!

Thanks for including my thread. I feel kind of defeated at the moment, but am still hopeful for the future! I had the gamepass version, but upgraded to premium because the game was actually working great and I had no installation issues, even the second time around. I’ve spent more time trying to help new simmers in discord than I have actually playing the sim, and I feel like it’s the community and volunteers in discord that are left to deal with the chit storm. Where are the community team?

6 Likes

I’m doing my best here to help but it’s a uphill battle…

1 Like

What a well written post and clearly written from the heart. If it gets pulled from the forums then I am out of here. Free speech is a right and your post is neither scathing nor disrespectful. A friend of mine had the same issue as me when buying from the MS Store, it could not proceed when it could not see what country we are in!!! I purchased mine via my mobile phone. So from the start its not a great experience. I was there from the first Alpha and hoped by release time most major issues would be sorted, I was wrong.
Oh and I have still haven’t found my house!!! (Joke)
Best regards.
John.

8 Likes

About the 'Steam Gauges"… I don’t think you can even buy a new airplanes these days that have Steam gauges… all new airplanes now are glass.

So if Asobo dropped steam gauges, it’s not really unrealistic unless they’re trying to model some old Cessna, which I don’t think they are. They’re modelling the 2020 versions.

I too had a battle to buy caused by my bank being in one country and my pc region being in another. Basic stuff. Take Care.

Re steam gauges many flying schools still use old aircraft that have them…

2 Likes

An interesting take @LeadLogarithm69. If you’re right I guess we will have to wait for A2A to bring their market leading Steamer to the MSFS platform where I’m sure it will quickly become a best seller. Many of us “old timers” learned on steamers and revel in the past when we can fly them.
Also, if you look at 172 Groups around the Internet there are thousands of examples of the old panels which have purposely not been “upgraded”.

For those who have trouble like FunkyHat with regions and banks go to live.microsoft com and in your account add a payment method. You can have several listed.

2 Likes

Good catch, will bear that in mind when other friends ring with the same issue.

The silence is certainly becoming deafening. I don’t understand why this developer can’t have a more open relationship with the community like Blizzard does, for example. Get some developers in here talking to us. Acknowledge our concerns. Talk about patches. Provide THOROUGH patch updates and changelogs.

No, I don’t think this should have been released this early, but Asobo/MS is making it far worse due to the near complete lack of communication. The continued NDA is just a slap in the face at this point.

Come on guys, do better. You claimed in an interview that you love the simming community. Prove that through ACTIONS, not just words.

17 Likes

LL, I do believe most glass cockpits still include 3 of the main analogue gauges…ie, ASI, ALT, HSI…just as a redundancy system. In fact, I think I can safely say that every GA aircraft I have flown recently, with a glass cockpit, has had those 3 gauges. However, I am sure there are exceptions. Here

the-glass-cockpit-of are a couple of examples.

You forgot broken wind and weather system and a host of other things.

Nice letter

7 Likes

Dozens of airports missing. You can forget bush flying in Quebec currently. Major cities’ airports like Beijing, Istanbul, international airports like Stuttgart, countries capitals’ airports like in Guyana, Faroer islands, Seychelles, all missing!
How can one leave such basic content to the hands of AI only? If there was a cloud cover overhead JFK, it wouldn’t be in this sim? All ICAO registrated airports have known coordinates, every corner of simple stuff like taxiways is available as data, but apparently nobody had the idea to feed that splendid AI with this data, to create airports where meager bing coverage doesn’t deliver or even support the AI wherever the coverage is outdated (which it is in many places).
It is shocking to realise that none of the devs came up with something like that, or at least that none of those who wanted to go this path, could convince the boss.

7 Likes

OMG even Beijing , i was planing to fly there tonight after work… OMG. WHY… how come…
Actually in the first post in forum i mention to the negative comment that it will be not perfect in the first time… but after 2~3 day flying ( have baby to take care) i getting more and more frustrating ., i dont have the power or passion to open the msfs.

4 Likes

Oh dear, we are at the “Open Letter” stage of forum discontent - I remember this from every patch launched for Elite Dangerous :sweat_smile:. Mind you I don’t actually disagree with anything you’ve written, but I do think the devs need more than a week to sort through the feedback and get a sensible communication strategy up and runnning for keeping us informed :slight_smile: Totally agree that the release was rushed, but I am not willing to give up on this sim quite yet as the intentions seem good.

Then again, maybe I am just an optimist, and this will actually go the same way as Elite Dangerous and turn in to a series of “just enough to meet the brief” updates that barely work. If it does that will be a sad state of affairs for the flight sim community, as a new platform is exactly what we need.

6 Likes