Anisotropic Settings (nvidia or in game?)

Quick question: is there any difference between setting 16x anisotropic in the Nvidia program settings (MSFS) or in game display settings 16x anisotropic?

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

I always turn off the ingame anisotropic filtering and use the Nvidia settings 16x.
I don’t know if it makes a big deal in this game, but in GTA-V you can really tell the difference.

I have been wondering about the same topic as I have seen suggestions for both options and would like to hear from folks on their experience with this question.

I have an AMD card, but I have seen similar recommendations on some of the YouTube optimization tutorials about enabling this at the card/driver level and disabling in MSFS. If I recall correctly, it was touted to improve pixelated clouds. That all being said, I never seem to have the time and patience to actually test all of these options rigorously and come to any sort of conclusion…

1 Like

Same here,
NCP = 16X
Sim = Off

3 Likes

Well, I checked this again in AMD Adrenaline and it would seem it is not applicable as it says it’s only for DX9 applications.

Screenshot 2023-01-25 172607

I have an RTX 3090 running DirectX 11 and Reverb G2 VR and the difference to me is negligible…perhaps a slight increase in FPS (1-2fps) with nvidia at 16x than in-game, but I haven’t really tested it large v small terminal areas etc.

Similar setup. I changed midflight over St. Maarten and picked up approximately 10fps to hovering close to 60fps.

1 Like

What about using DLSS instead of anti-aliasing for same or better result and much less FPS loss … :disguised_face:

Anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering are two different things.

4 Likes

I mean TAA/FXAA etc vs DLSS …

I do use DLSS. I don’t know what the OP uses.

DLSS (Quality) with DLDSR and most settings Ultra (on an RTX 2070 Super) works extremely well with a 4k monitor, 40-55 FPS …

On a 4k screen, many visual enhancements can be disabled or set to their minimum. Please keep in mind when the began work on MSFS2020 back in 2013, who had one or more 4k screens, or the fast CPUs and video cards and gobs of RAM that many enthusiasts have today?

Their target was the “average user” in 2016, not 2020, and certainly not 2023.

I’ve tested this on my system (128 gb RAM, Arc 770LE, 4 x 50" 4096x2160 screens, and here are my optimal settings.

The current rendering window is set to 8160x2072 pixels across 2 screens (lose some screen real estate due to the title bar, etc).

These settings were tested on Bora Bora, Downtown Tokyo at under 500’, Yosemite Park at over 10,000 feet, and Central Park, New York at under 500 feet.

(hint - the best stress test for rendering performance is looking straight down at very low altitude, as this changes the most objects that are viewed per frame)

ANTI-ALIASING - OFF the only noticeable effect is some jaggies on some flight control surfaces on the external view.
VSYNC - ON
FRAME RATE LIMIT - 100% OF SCREEN REFRESH RATE
HDR10 - OFF
DIREXTX VERSION - 12
GLOBAL RENDERING QUALITY - this will automatically be set to CUSTOM when you change any preset value
TERRAIN LEVEL OF DETAIL - 100
OFF SCREEN TERRAIN PRE-CACHING - ULTRA (this is important)
TERRAIN VECTOR DATA - MEDIUM
BUILDINGS - ULTRA
TREES - LOW (even on low you’ll still see the tree trunks at 4k, so what’s the point setting it higher?)
GRASS - LOW (same rationale as trees)
VOLUMETRIC CLOUDS - HIGH
TEXTURE RESOLUTION - MEDIUM
ANSIOTROPIC FILTERING - OFF
TEXTURE SUPERSAMPLING - OFF (no point at 4k - it already looks great)
TEXTURE SYNTHESIS - MEDIUM
WATER WAVES - LOW (and they still look unrealistic - more like an oil spill riled up by wind)
SHADOW MAPS - 768 -(lowest value possible)
TERRAIN SHADOWS - OFF (you still see your aircraft’s shadow - tested at Bora Bora, as well as the shadows of higher clouds on lower clouds, etc. - tested at Yosemite Park)
CONTACT SHADOWS - MEDIUM
WINDSHIELD EFFECTS - LOW (lowest setting possible)
AMBIENT OCCLUSIONS - OFF
CUBEMAP REFLECTIONS - 96 (lowest setting possible)
RAYMARCHED REFLECTIONS - OFF
BLOOM - OFF
DEPTH OF FIELD - HIGH
MOTION BLUR - OFF
LENS CORRECTIONS - OFF
LENS FLARE - OFF (I’m not J.J. Abrams directing Star Trek here …)
GLASS COCKPIT REFRESH RATE - MEDIUM

You can try using these as a base and modifying where necessary. Enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

DLSS as well. After multiple flights, I’m going with anisotropic set in Nvidia to x16. I’m getting slightly better fps and a little better clarity at high altitudes.

It’s nearly a push but the nvidia settings works better for me than in game for anisotropic.

1 Like

and using Reverb G2 with OpenXR/Tool

1 Like

If I use DLSS (and DLDSR 2.25) on an RTX 2070 Super (4K monitor) I get significantly higher FPS and very good visual quality.

In-game off and NCP 16x. This combined with TAA and Frame Generation and Ultra settings on my 4080.

V-Sync off in-game and enabled via NCP.

When enabling 16x ansisotropic in the NCP , the change also enables something more. Which should these settings be set to? Anything else I should se or change in the NCP? I have “prefer max power” + “vsync” on. I think I get better vsync results that way. Using a Gsyn compat. screen (144hz). Not locked framerate though… I always get stuters when I do that