[ANNOUNCEMENT] FlyingIron F6F-5 Hellcat

Just another thought, would it be possible to select a modern military pilot to simulate a current warbird?

The base game has added modern miltary pilots (they’re at the end of the selection list) so you could choose them and opt to place the ‘default pilot’ into the warbird.

Why not look online to see what actual airshows are happening on any given weekend and fly there? Or look at the itinerary for any group to see where they are traveling.

1 Like

Holy Smokes what a babe…drooling… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

When the Hellcat entered the war, it was one of the best carrier fighters it even thwarted the A6M Zero

1 Like

I would equally love to see flyingiron make a A6M Zero as well

3 Likes

@GotGravel Any update on a release date?

Can’t give you a release date just yet, but we are in the alpha phase right now and it shouldn’t be too long until we enter beta. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thanks hopefully not to much longer then love your aircraft

Take your time, and know it will be an instant buy from me!

When the Hellcat and the Corsair came along the Zero was already obsolete in many respects considering the advances made in the rest of the World. The main difference to the European Theatre was, that the Americans where not prepared for war - both in equipment or in training. Their best fighters in 1942 were the Navy’s F4F Wildcat and the Army Air Force’s P-40 Warhawk. Both of which were barely a match for the Zero. Also the Japanese pilots at the time were better trained and had more experience and thus their inexperienced American counterparts in their slightly inferior aircraft were easy picking for the Japanese. That’s where the myth of the mighty Zero originates from.

The battle-hardened former Flying Tigers pilots then brought home the knowledge how to beat the Zeros many weaknesses.

The Zero’s party trick was manouverability. But once hit it was in flames almost immediately because it didn’t have self-sealing tanks until the A6M5 came around. To achieve the manoeuvrability it had to be very light, which means little protection for the pilot.

The F4F and P-40 were slower and less manoeuvrable but could take some damage. So the Americans learned to attack in pairs. Also the more heavy American fighters were faster in a dive and thus resorted to attacks from above.

However, at the same time the contemporary British Spitfire Mk.V or a German Bf 109F were far superior to the A6M2 Zero and most likely even to the later A6M5. Faster, thougher, better armed, more powerful, better performance at great altitudes, superior climb rate, better dive speed… The only thing the Zero always remained superior at was manouverability. And even a 1939 Bf 109E or Spitfire Mk.I clearly outclassed anything the Americans had in mid 1942.

Still I love the Zero. It’s such a beautiful sleek design.

9 Likes

We have officially entered beta! Not long now…

22 Likes

Looking forward to it! Hope we get some real war torn beat up liveries too!

1 Like

I have little doubt @pby5a will be on it, as he usually is (his warbird paints are THE standard by which all others should be judged!).

And for the FlyingIron crew, let me just say I can’t wait. :slight_smile:

1 Like

do we know about a moving and dynamic straight deck carrier under development or adaptation?

When Leroy Grumman was first shown a captured FW190 he was so impressed he based the design of the Bearcat on it. You boys do nice work ! look forward to the release of your Hellcat

any sound teasers maybe? :smirk:

1 Like

It’s Milviz. One of the two developers I trust enough not to need a teaser. Personally, I just YouTube the actual aircraft to see what a Milviz addon will look and sound like.

But yes, I too am anxious to listen to their new album/single.

This isn’t us… (just saying…) (btw, I represent Milviz)

But thanks muchly for the compliment!

1 Like

Um, what? No. It’s FlyingIron.

And their sounds for the P-38L and Spitfire are great. I have no concerns about the Hellcat on that score.

In fact, as the owner of both of the above, I am quite looking forward to the Hellcat.

4 Likes

Totally agree, excepting your mistake on where you posted this, but I can at least also add Just Flight (first party products) and SWS to this Ménage A Quatre. The bar is set high with these teams! I also blindly grab anything by Got Friends but wasn’t sure how to write “five” in French.

2 Likes