[ANNOUNCEMENT] Panavia Tornado | IndiaFoxtEcho

Nice!!! What aspect did you work on?

It’s funny, I think my role was corporate “spy”. I’m not entirely sure why Spectrum Holobyte sent me there beyond my well-known and avid desire to be in England.

I mainly did QA, which looking back, seems like a funny thing to need to send someone abroad to do.

Upon return to the US, I’d slotted into an assistant producer role.

I flew a lot of missions, for sure!

3 Likes

That mission editor was ahead of it’s time!

Holy ____ man, I spent so much time accidentally putting Tornados into hillsides. :rofl:

2 Likes

Nice … Looking forward for a release on Xbox marketplace. …But we need the F-35 First…on Xbox. Lol

I hope they can release the F-35 for console folks. I’ve got it on the PC, and it’s a blast. All three versions too - the -A (Air Force), -B (Marine Corps / Navy, the VTOL one), and -C (Carrier capable, Navy / Marine Corps)

It’s weird to be in a cockpit with like… 4 switches lol! So cool though. I cruised around the Hawaiian Islands at like 250-300kts IAS. 35% throttle, and she burns over 6,000pph! Thankfully if you fill it up to the brim, I think it’ll hold 18,000lbs of go-go juice.

That’s me in the C-model (Marine livery, of course) - the spot is just departing after having flown over PHHN (Hana, Maui), headed around the north-east side of the island.)

I used to poo-poo combat planes in a civilian flight sim. I mean… where’s all the boom and pew-pew? I gotta say though that picking the F-35 up changed my mind. I think the India Foxtrot Echo folks did a great job with it, and man am I salivating now they announced the Panavia Tornado aka “Tonk!” (I just learned about the nickname the other day)

3 Likes

Yeah I do love their F-35. It’s still in my Top 5!

BTW have you added your faves here yet? :wink:

1 Like

Ooh for some reason I hadn’t seen that one yet. Will check it out!

1 Like

Hiya Tornado Tonka simulation fans

FYI, the “community” of Digital Integration’s classic 1993 Tornado is alive and well in 2022. The source code is bring modded by me. See here: dogsofwarvu dot com slash forum slash index dot php slash topic,5046.0.html
I also maintain a fansite of DI’s DOS 1993 Tornado simulation here: frankiekam dot com slash tornado

Feel free to contact me for any and all things Digital Integration Tornado.

We’re gonna par-tay like its 1993!
Frankie Kam
Malaysia

3 Likes

YES! :slight_smile: That is so awesome!!!

Digital Integration’s 1993 Tornado combat flight sim/game is alive and well in 2022.

I’m Frankie Kam and I maintain the retro Tornado fan website here at www dot frankiekam dot com slash tornado.
I’m also an active modder. FYI, the past 5 years’ history of improvement mods done to game’s assembly language engine code is chronicled here: dogsofwarvu dot com slash forum slash index dot php slash topic,5046.0 dot html

I am still in touch with Kevin Bezant, then lead programmer of the Tornado project. I am also a DI Tornado curater and I on a quest to collect all manner of source code, Tornado online and offline reviews, DI Tornado-related 1990s photographs, etc. If you know anyone who worked on the Tornado project with Digital Integration, do contact me. I’d me interested to hear you share about the ‘Golden Age’ of flight simulators - circa 1992-1994.

Cheers
Frankie “Durian Defense” Kam
Malaysia

3 Likes

And I just realised that I’ve already posted to the forum. Must be old age catching up on me. Anyway, nothing like repetition to drum in new knowledge and awareness.

2 Likes

Whoa that was like Groundhog Day. Or is it Warthog…

Know the feeling about old age man so don’t worry about it. Those were definitely the golden age of combat sims for me also. Maybe a slight case of rose tinted nostalgia glasses, I don’t know :wink:

I’ve no stories or anything interesting to share with you on the level of depth you desire though sadly. Love what you’re doing though - I had a look through the progress!! Dedication :smiley:

I bought Microprose F-117 2.0 on Steam the other day (summer sale for next to nothing) as a retro nostalgia hit. I seem to remember it being better but we are spoilt with the advance of technology I guess. Moves so fast!! Still a great game though but kinda didn’t feel as I remembered it. We had more imagination back then to fill in the missing frames and polygons lol

3 Likes

Well you have to remember that back then it was cutting edge. I was so blown away by Tornado after seeing it on a friend’s PC that I ended up buying a brand new 486SX computer, sound card, and analogue joystick just so I could play it . It cost me about 2 months net salary at the time (yes I was young, single and stupid back then :wink: ).

3 Likes

This and the Harrier and I’m sorted :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Aswome can’t wait to hoon around UK in one! Will this be another joint venture with milviz like the T-45?

1 Like

The Tornado is a must-have for me! One of my favorite fighter jets. When I was a kid in the 80s those things did a lot of low level flight training over Holland, when my family went camping there every weekend and during summer break. It was so loud that it scared the living daylights out of me every time, but I loved it!

1 Like

No. Sorry.

Hey it’s fine was just curious looking forward to it anyway :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

Just curious. Is this still in development?

Yes, on their discord they posted end of August:

*TORNADO *** …we have FINALLY COMPLETED the geometry of the pilot cockpit. It took way more than we planned - as we said we were not happy with the quality of the geometry we had…and we remade it basically from scratch. It looks WAY BETTER now. We still hope to have a Beta ready by the end of September, but it will take a lot of work. (edited)

2 Likes