Another big patch. LOD still terrible compared with pre Alpha 1.6.x, which looked perfect

…in your opinion

I’m perfectly happy to give Asobo the benefit of the doubt when it comes to gradually fixing bugs and adding features. Simulators are complex and every major simulator over the last 20 years has taken a few months if not longer to get to a proper stable state. But reducing graphics quality to improve performance, not being open about it, and not giving users any setting to take it back to original levels, that’s going too far and borders on deceptive marketing.

3 Likes

I was a beta tester, I know what I’m talking about. It used to be very beautiful, now it’s a horror. When the simulator was released, the visual world was adequate, then it deteriorated …

1 Like

I posted these shots in the other LOD thread, but thought it would be beneficial here too.

First shot was from Alpha days (this was a featured shot in 7-16-20 update page so NDA safe)

This shot from today 9-30-20

:frowning:

20 Likes

you right i didn’t think on VR reason, it can be an explanation
Or it can be servers problem too, in alpha with lower people theu could increase the LOD.
After the release with the server full, that lod was a no go, maybe.
Or they are downgrading for the xbox release…
As far as, i won’t buy an high end pc at this point and ill keep the mine, useless to upgrade with this lod

I’d take the first one @20fps over the second one @60fps any day!

3 Likes

they seems 2 differents games :\

This shadow hidden nerf at the graphic is really no professional, they are not doing a great job.
2 patches in a row broking the game… If they did a bad third patch it can be a record…

Horror. Really. Bit dramatic. Are you suggesting the sim is unplayable due to the graphics?

Photogrammetry areas are not affected the same way as autogen scenery.

Thanks for the post, it highlights the issue nicely.

When I was beta testing the game, it really did feel as if I was in an airplane, gazing out of the window, looking down onto the real world. Now, two “upgrades” along, and it it feels like, well, a game.

I don’t have a particularly high spec pc, but the sim was smooth with very realistic graphics, which is how it was sold to us. I have not hit rock bottom with it quite yet, but can really understand why people are getting very frustrated and agitated with it.

2 Likes

I have not had a chance to fly since the Japan-update, but I have never noticed any trees popping up close by. And to be honest, I think that the Alpha-shot looks much less realistic than the recent one. Not all trees in the world are Californian Redwood. In the new photo you get to see the area’s versatility with what appears to be a golf course and residences. The Alpha-shot is primarily trees.
Shortly after release I tried to find a house in a suburb of Dayton, Ohio that my wife used to live in, but it was impossible to see anything because all the gardens were covered in much too large trees. Maybe I should try again now.

1 Like

Tend to agree with this. This forum/community demanded that the trees be “calmed down a bit” as they were too big etc. People even developed their own mods to do it. I think the water relfections have taken a hit with this patch, but other than that, I’m not seeing a lot wrong with the second picture. I’d happily use either. As per my previous post there will be good reasons for making changes from Alpha (and I’ll reiterate that I have no reference) and trying to optimise the balance of performance v quality detail and given how much is streamed v on the host PC, I suspect this is much more complex to achieve with this sim than others.

Unfortunately this might be exactly what is happening.
They also ‘adjusted’ the water reflections and waves and downgraded it with the latest patch.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone wants a lawsuit.

We just want the product back that we bought.
It is one thing to downgrade graphics prior to release compared to trailers.
It is really another thing to downgrade graphics with each new patch after the product has been released.

2 Likes

I’m not trying to argue, but there is another perspective. They are getting feedback in lots of areas - improve the stutters - make the trees smaller - increase the LOD - water reflections are too bright - improve the performance - more realism - more accessibility for beginners etc etc. I think what we are seeing are changes being made to try to strike a balance across all these (and many more) aspects. Striking a balance almost inevitably means that no-one is entirely happy. The trick is to get to a point where everyone is the least unhappy in some ways! That might seem odd, but the alternative is that some people are very happy (their “issues” are fixed) whereas everyone else is unhappy.

This is really difficult for Asobo to navigate - especially with such conflicting feedback. Personally I hope they stay true to their principles and vision for this sim, and keep on that path. They could maybe be more open with what that is (it might help everyone to understand better what they are doing), but I do think it would be wrong to flip/flop based on conflicting feedback too much. The trees issue is a classic case in point.

2 Likes

I have never seen that one!

It’s there somewhere - related to the flatter seas making the sea look plastic. Waves seem back to normal in the latest patch, but it looks like relfections have been turned down making the night reflections look worse and daytime like the shot above

1 Like

This is getting worse and worse each patch… They’re clearly downgrading the game. We need much more screenshots like those @speedwoblz took.
It’s not just the trees! We need to be not just more vocal, it’s clear. What’s next then?? we need to swarm with shocking pictures. Mere statements like “it looked better before” is not remotely enough.

3 Likes

Good point, I agree that Asobo have a tough balancing act to manage here, and it makes sense for them to try to balance performance for a wide audience. But that could have been achieved by adding an additional graphics setting, or keeping some of the existing settings in high/ultra, instead of downgrading graphics for everyone.

4 Likes

The game, especially for a flight sim, and except for a stuttering massive drops of FPS they took care of in previous patches, was perfectly playable on day one on my I7 4790K 16gb DDR3 gtx1070 with performances I was more than happy with on almost everything to ULTRA. The optimization was already pretty remarkable IMO.

And this is not just an outdated aging system, it’s a 6 year old CPU which was top of the line in its days but is now to be considered nigh on being obsolete.

If I don’t currently owns the money to buy a new PC, someone who can certainly doesn’t have to suffer from users like me!!

I can’t buy a Ferrari for now, that doesn’t mean people who can shouldn’t have the right to use theirs to a better extent than my lesser car…

If I can’t anymore play on “ultra” but get same quality as day one on “medium” instead, so be it. I’m not gonna argue with that. Of course I’m not going to have the same performances as someone with an RTX 3080.

2 Likes