Another collective for your consideration

I designed this a little over a year ago. At the time I was considering designing and building game controllers full time. The reality is that it wouldn’t be a fiscally responsible thing to do. So, after some reflection, I’ve decided to give back to the community that has provided me with a rich source of entertainment and fellowship for the last few decades.
There are a couple more build vids I have to make for the swappable heads. I currently have a Huey and Kiowa head. I’m not very artistic, so I lack the ability to do the curvy heads. If you are artistic and can make some heads; that would be cool.
I will be fleshing out the parts list as well. It’s mostly all there except for the board and connectors.
Happy flying everyone.

J D - YouTube
Helicopter Collective with inter-changeable heads by Thick8 - Thingiverse

3 Likes

So cool you released these for us to build. I have loved this style since I first saw it. I will be utilizing the 3D printer next week. I don’t need a complicated head. Just one button and a switch. So I’ll probably use the base parts and make some kind of head for just these two items. I like how you handle the throttle pot and friction brake though. If I design a head for this can I post it to thingiverse as a compatible head for your collective?

Sure. I’ll add a link to it on the collective page. It was actually our conversations that prompted me to re-evaluate my thinking about sharing this. I feel good about it. So, thank you.
I may do a video about the yoke too. I am amazed by the added reality it adds to flying.

1 Like

Well I will be starting the printing and building tomorrow since I found out the printer is available.
Just the base and arm though and then I’ll try to work on a Bell-47 head.

Very generous of you to share your design.
It is a very good design.

Whats a good 3D printer to buy for a beginner?
Plus have you thought about selling any of these already assembled ready to go?

Love flying Helicopters but, no experience in 3D printing, saw some at store making random objects, they look cool.

Our library has a $3000 printer I use. Just give them an .stl file and they print it. Just did the main block for this and it cost $4. Lot cheaper than buying a good printer. Of course it took 4 hours to print.

Thats cool your Library has that!!! What state are you in that has such nice resources?

How strong is that plastic after its made on 3D printer? is it brittle? I have never picked up anything built by one…

Nevada. Yes we are luck.

Very sturdy but flexible. It sands well but melts if you try to cut with a Dremel.

Thats cool. Does he have the plans for the other parts to get to do the full assembly?

The parts are all on Thingiverse. I will be doing vids of the rest of the build in the coming weeks.

1 Like

DO you have the list of other parts needed after you do the build of the 3D parts?

I got started on other projects right away and never finished the parts list. I need to do that. I keep telling myself “this week”. Then something else comes up. Maybe next week???