Anti-Aliasing broken in VR after update

To me it’s not only menu but more importanly clouds. No matter what Res/Render Scaling - some clouds shimmer for me which is immersion breaking

AA ist broken in menus in VR. Exactly the same problem. But in game grafik is very good, no AA problems, only in the menus.

1 Like

That has nothing to do with my settings. My settings are the same than before the update. Before the update the graphic in VR was so clear and crisp. It is problem of the game. A lot of people have the same problem. I have select TAA and renders scale 100 % in the settings and oxr with 90 %. The same settings like in simupdate 4. With the new simupdate 5 there is a lot more shine and flicker (shimmering) than before the update. It is terrible at the moment.

3 Likes

Well then they broke the settings. The only thing that changed on my setup is that I installed the update.

Before the update things were fine on my system. After, definite visual downgrade in VR. Nothing else has changed.

3 Likes

This has nothing to do with anti-aliasing.

All the VR popup windows are “overlays” using a specific VR Overlay API which let’s you render textured quads in the 3D world. The AA is only applicable to the 3D render views.

It is actually because these overlays are rendering at your HMD super sampling resolution instead of the game render resolution (when using <100 TAA render scaling for example) that I’ve suggested the following:

[BUG/FEATURE] EFIS Screens Problems and Solutions for higher legibility

However SU5 is certainly displaying aliasing artifacts on these overlays and there could be many different reasons to this only Asobo knows.

*In addition, because they are not rendering in game, they are immune to any in-game post processing FX and they can also be rendering out-of-sync from the main render thread(s).

gtx 1080 overclocked / ryzen 5600x / 32gb ram / ssd /htc vive / steamvr

I’m not an expert on AA, but I definitely notice what I would describe as a visual “buzzing” on the landscape at any render scale lower than 100 (using TAA, obviously) that I would assume is AA related. There are also some jaggies on the menus, but I honestly couldn’t say if they were there pre-SU5.

For now, I get the best quality/performance balance with the in-game render at 100 and the Steam render at 80. Other settings are either medium or low. I suspect that this set up gives me more overhead, which means that I get far less stutter in photogrammetry and far, far, far less performance loss in glass cockpits. I can actually fly the DA62, for example, with just as good performance as the DA40 TDI. The Garmin is even somewhat readable.

However, the view out the window is definitely degraded. Before, I would describe it as blurry, but “clean,” like a just out of focus photograph. Now with the wrong lighting and distance, the landscape can at times look like something I could make in MS Paint. The trees in particular look very pixelated and horizontal lines on buildings will jump around quite noticeably. This was definitely not the case in SU4.

For me, it’s a downgrade since I prefer to fly VFR w/ steam gauges to glass in VR.

I can be patient for now, but disappointed :frowning:

5 Likes

Completely broken, really painful and totally ruins it for me. I have to squint to read the cockpit displays.
This should have been part of the hotfix. Then again I’m wondering how much testing really goes into VR at this point.

3 Likes

Came here to find the issue, seems everyone else is having it. Prior to sim update 5 the menus and everything else looked fine. HP Reverb G2 with 3080ti.

After SU5, awful jagged lines on the menus, and you can see it outside the plane and on the ground. Very apparent on things like antennas and wires.

5 Likes

Very well explained…
I have the same overall issue. I’ve attempted multiple setting adjustments, but it’s just not the experience I expected from VR. We pay a lot of money for the VR devices and we’re not getting it’s worth.
At night the lights look like white, red, yellow blurry circles.
During the day the clouds are blurry, puffy and pixelated.
This is a huge bummer, I’m thinking of returning the VR reverb G2 now…
RTX 3070, I5 10th Gen, 32GB

1 Like

I am optimistic that the AA will be a quick/easy fix for them. If I remember correctly there have been tweaks to the AA and sharpening filters with other updates.

What I am significantly more concerned about is the hideous pop in of scenery every time you move your head, as this feels like more of a fundamental and intentional engine rewrite :frowning: I hope I’m wrong

If AA is broken and needs to be fixed then why is it working on my system? If, for whatever reason, you have no AA on your headset then you need to investigate your setup and your settings for solutions because the anti-aliasing is working just fine.

You might like to check your UserCfg.opt file says this for VR:

{SSAO
Enabled 1
Quality 2
}
{AA
Enabled 1
Type 2
}

1 Like

Thanks for the insight. I have checked my user config and I have the following…
Should the quality be the same as yours? I too see jaggered edges and the overall scenery isnt sharp at all…
RTX 3070, I5 10th Gen, 32GB
Thanks Ash
}
{SSAO
Enabled 1
Quality 0
}
{AA
Enabled 1
Type 2
}

Interesting, what headset and runtime do you have?

I am using Quest 2, tried oculus and steamvr runtimes, and have definite new shimmering/aliasing on the menus (all the time) and trees and buildings (at medium/long distance). However the cockpit and aircraft (at standard external view distance, at least) look same as normal.

Yes but these are just the config values set in the game itself, but if you edit that file then it will change them in the game and vice versa. SSAO is ambient occlusion which can also help with 3d clarity.

Using Oculus Runtime. Cockpit dials and readouts and lettering are all clear and AA is working.

1 Like

I am using the HP reverb G2 and a RTX3070, I5 10th Gen and 32GB.
Crazy how poor the quality is actually… the only reason I’m motivated to keep VR is for the immersion, everything else is horrendous…
Any tips you have will be most welcome.
Currently 100 rendering in game and 80 in openxr

AA is also working fine for me everywhere except the menus. Inside the plane, outside the plane, the clouds… all look fine. But I can barely read the names of towns on my in-game map now, whereas before SU5 they were clear as day.

Not sure why you’re running the sim at 80 in OpenXR? That’ll be why your graphics look poor. I run at 100 render scale in-game and 1.0 SS on a 2060, most settings on medium, and I get good graphical quality and smooth performance most of the time. You should be able to do the same on 3070 surely?

Will try this when I get home, thanks.

Agreed - as I said the new issue we are describing, whatever it is, is apparent on further away buildings and trees (and the menus / overlays of course).

Those who do see the issue, you can vote for the devs to fix it here [BUG LOGGED] No AA Anymore On Menus in VR?

GTX 1080 overclocked / ryzen 5600x / 32gb ram / htc vive / steamvr

Just a few more observations since my post yesterday:

Even in 2D, the same shimmering happens on the horizontal lines of buildings (e.g. roofs) at mid- to long- range. Trees also have a strange contrast to them that makes them look like large pixels in certain lighting conditions; almost like they have a “glare” effect. Both effects are amplified in the headset due to screen proximity, resolution, etc. But the point is it’s not only in VR that this is happening on my rig-- but in the core graphics processing of the sim.

Additionally, in 2D I am now able to run full Ultra settings at 1080p, resolution upscaled to 110, while still maintaining 30fps with vsync enabled. This just… doesn’t make sense to me. The “ceiling” for graphics quality just shouldn’t be so low that a GTX 1080 can max all settings other than resolution.

The FACT is that something in the game is broken with this release, causing distinct image degradation for me and apparently plenty of other people in VR. I have checked all relevant settings and nothing has changed from pre-update.

I’m really glad that you don’t seem to have the issue, but please don’t assume that because you don’t that there is no issue. Whether it is AA or something else, the patch has changed something which is causing a degraded experience for some seemingly significant subset of VR users.

6 Likes