Any blind pilots out there?

Found this at Kissimmee airport in Florida. Thought it was interesting. Might have to zoom in to see it.

4 Likes

Every once in a while I do see a news story about a real-life blind pilot successfully navigating or even landing a GA plane under the supervision of a sighted flight instructor. :smiley:

1 Like

Not sure about blind but I am willing to bet there are visually handicapped MSFS pilots around.

2 Likes

I’m sure that’s for the blind folks who, while not actually flying any planes, still need to know which room is which at an airport.

I’m by no means totally blind, but have amblyopia in my right eye. I can’t really read with that eye, but my vision has been stable since childhood. Ten years after I got my pilot’s certificate, the FAA suddenly decided my vision wasn’t good enough to fly, and they revoked my medical. To get it back I had to apply to take a special medical flight test flight with an FAA examiner. Lots of paperwork, waiting around, more paperwork, and prepping for what felt like another check ride. The actual test was easy, because I can indeed see. More paperwork and waiting. The whole process took four months.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly what is was for as other rooms were also marked in Braille. I thought it was kinda funny though for the flight planning room but I get it.

1 Like

Hi,
That reminds me whenever I was at the American Airlines flight training center at KDFW for recurrent training. All rooms in the simulator building had their entrances also marked in Braille. And we always joked about how many blind pilots worked for AA. Despite looking for them, we never met a blind pilot or instructor.
Obviously this must have had something to do with the building code there, but it still was funny.

1 Like

I had a blind passenger once on an Angel Flight.
He had flown a few times with other volunteers at that time, and was quite fascinated with GA flight.
So after a very thorough briefing and with the OK of his mom, who was going to have to sit in one of the 4 rear seats in the Saratoga I let him sit in the right seat, and then fly the airplane once we were in the air.
For a seeing VFR pilot entering IMC conditions, there is an average of 90-110 seconds, before the things get squirrelly. About thre times that, if they had some basic instrument training.
My passenger did much better than that. He maintained altitude and wings level almost to PPL standards and even managed a lazy turn to a new heading, with me calling the roll out.

So in my book he became a pilot that day.

5 Likes