Any Easy Way to Change Airport Parking Locations/Sizes like we used to with AFCAD?

Hi all,

Is there any easy way to change the parking locations and sizes within a custom scenery in MSFS without having to use the SDK and recreate an airport? I have also tried using ADS but unfortunately there is a lot of terraforming around and within the airport when I use that software and I see hills popping up and/or significant grade changes within the airport and surrounding areas. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

As far as I know AFCAD is working for MSFS.

Hello there, Thank you for your post! Your topic has been moved to a subcategory of General Discussion & Community Support. The General Discussion category is meant for discussions that fall outside of our other sub-categories.

Please check out these other categories for your future posts:

• Aircraft
    is where you discuss current or future planes coming to MSFS.
  • World
    is where you discuss scenery, airports, and weather.
  • Aviate, Navigate, Communicate
    is where you ask for help with flying.
  • Tech Talk
    is where you discuss graphics, drivers, performance, CTDs, and hardware.
  • Menus & Activities
    is where you discuss activities (landing challenges, bush trips, etc), plus anything accessed by the menus including the Marketplace, settings, logbook, cameras, etc.

I assume you mean Airport Design Editor?

The FSX AFCAD program, I can’t possibly imagine it works for MSFS, how does it create the projects and packages required and all that?

I wouldn’t call any of these tools “Easy” per se, but, once you get the hang of the process, I do it very easily now.

@BossRaccoon7630 What’s ADS?

While you can edit airports directly in Airport Design Editor, I find it easier to just do it in sim with the Scenery Editor, which I assume is what you mean by “use the SDK”. You seem to be resisting this though? How come? (not judging, just trying to understand your issues).

I’m not sure I understand your question. Why is terraforming or the surface of the earth a problem for you? You can choose to add a flatten, or even turn on the “Flatten Airport” option (though personally I suggest against that).

There is a new tool coming directly in the sim for community editing and sharing of airport edits, I’m not sure what the feature set is, though.

Thanks for your response. By ADS I meant Airport Design Editor (I thought it’s Airport Design Studio). When using the Sim SDK, my understanding is that you have to first create boundaries for the airport, etc. and it’s fairly time consuming considering my intention is to only change the parking sizes. And as soon as you change something terraforming occurs around the airport changing the default elevations?! Overall seemed a little too complicated considering what I am intending to do! Is there an easy way to do this using MSFS SDK?

1 Like

You are right, sorry I meant ADE to make changes to the parking spots, gates and so on.

1 Like

I have tried using ADE and it works for the most part! However, it changes the terrain elevation within and adjacent to the airport! For example I have tried changing the parking positions and added lighting to OISS in Iran and now the airport parking apron is hilly and there are a few hills formed up adjacent to the airport which weren’t there before using ADE! Is there a solution to that or am I doing something wrong?

1 Like

Great to hear you figured it out! You’ll be an expert in no time ;)… It’s addicting.

I’ve seen this before. Depends on the situation, but I ended up having to add a polygon to flatten the offending areas at the altitude I wanted. Simple ones work pretty well if you set the “Falloff Distance” at a good value. This basically says how steep the polygon edges are, how far out from its edges the terraform affects the surrounding terrain. The other thing that happens to me is I accidentally grab the runway vertical bar on the coordinate system thingy, and change its height, but your description sounds more like the former to me.

I highly recommend getting used to referring to the SDK documentation. I keep it open and handy.
SDK: Scenery Editor

2 Likes

Lol! Thank you! Good luck with me being expert at this though :wink:

2 Likes