Any good books on how to use this sim?

I appreciate the help I’ve gotten here. But every time I sit down to try and use this sim, something else goes wrong. I sort of fixed the cockpit camera view problem, but it’s still acting weird. The autopilot in the Cessna stopped working and I can’t figure out how to get it back. I used to be able to hide the yoke, but now when I click on it, nothing happens.

It has just been one problem after another. I need a “Flight simulator 2020 for dummies” book or something similar. A printed manual that I can refer to. There has to be something out there. I’m to the point where I don’t want to even start the program. I just know I’m going to be disappointed.

There are a lot of videos, websites, and yes, books out there. A lot of it will naturally overlap with resources used for actual flight training. However, there’s only so much you’ll get from static, one-way consumption of knowledge.

As with real flying, the best help you’ll get is from live interaction with experienced people who know how to observe your simming (or at the minimum, your questions), provide examples, demonstration, and real-time feedback tailored to the limitations of the sim.

That said, my book recommendations:

• Start with the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PHAK).

• The pilots operating handbook (POH) for your aircraft and any accompanying systems. Many sim aircraft are in the 95% plus usability with real-world documentation like this.

There are a lot more down the road, like the Aviation Weather Handbook, Instrument Flying Handbook, Instrument Procedures Handbook. You get the drift. All “free” from the FAA. Just understand you will hit plateaus and maybe learn things incorrectly if it’s not accompanied by qualified instruction - this is normal, but generally good enough for sim work.

Good luck!

4 Likes

CharlieFox00, thanks for those links. (Sorry, I don’t know how to quote posts here).

But I’m mostly looking for how to use the sim. e.g. how to assign a key, joystick button, use keyboard and controller profiles, how to save/resume a flight, how to pick a new destination airport (without restarting). Controlling the camera is a major issue for me. Conflicting keyboard assignments is also an issue (depending on my camera view, I can’t control the autopilot). Would be nice to have shortcut keys for autopilot heading like the old (FS2000) sim.

1 Like

I sympathize with your problem! I doubt that there will ever be a comprehensive, up to date “Flight simulator 2020 for dummies” book - games change so rapidly nowadays that any book would be outdated by the time it was written, printed & available in physical or online bookstores.

Have you checked out the Community Guides in this forum?

Then there are innumerable YouTube videos, some good, some not so good, that can help. Perhaps others can chime in here with their recommendations…

1 Like

The “A Complete Guide to Flight Simulator” by SoFly here might be helpful. I have gotten a lot out of it. Good luck. -Redeye

1 Like

Microsoft Flight Simulator For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)) Amazon.com

1 Like

YouTube is your best bet to learn how to navigate the sim.

As far as anything else, it comes down to the aircraft you’re flying and they’re all different! Youtube is your friend here too.

1 Like