Any of You Who have "Great" Photogrammetry in Cities... Please Read

This is becoming my #1 issue w/ this sim. The photogrammetry and LOD is terrible… I claim it’s gotten worse patch after patch, but others say it’s fine, which is even more frustrating because it’s clearly not fine (on my RTX 2080 Ti, i9-9900k, 32gb ram machine).

In an airliner when you fly around 2k feet and look at NYC or Seattle or San Francisco, do you see this melted garbage? I have Photogrammetry on, LOD and all render settings on ultra and 200.

My internet connection is 300mb/s (fiber)… but I’m on the USA East server. I’ve tried the USA west server and no difference.

Any additional ideas? Asobo said on yesterday’s twitch they don’t know what the issue is, so I’m desperate.

I’ve also cleared my rolling cache at least 5 different times in the last 4 weeks.

11 Likes

I have the same issue, but I just thought it was cause I don’t have as powerful computer or internet speed (100mb/s). It seems that directly under the aircraft it loads fairly well, but outside maybe a 5NM radius of the aircraft it looks garbage. I enjoy the photogrammetry when it loads properly, but I rarely have that happen. Not sure if the issue is with streaming the data or if there is another setting for LOD that we haven’t adjusted yet. It’s sad when the default cities look better than the photogrammetry. The way your photos look, you might as well not even have those buildings draw if they are going to look like that. I have enjoyed playing this sim, but IMO it was released far too early. And I sure wish they would allow us, the community, to test their updates before they go public. Most of us are finding bugs within 10 minutes of playing the updates.

2 Likes

It has been intermittent for me. I have an NVDIA 1080ti , but only 16GB of RAM and an i7-8700 3.70 GHZ cpu. I just posted some good night shots of Seattle, but suddenly this is what my current view looks like on Ultra:

Like @SageLobster5901, right under the aircraft generally looks pretty good when this is occurring.

2 Likes

Yes I see the same.

It wasn’t like this in the Alphas. I could fly over LA and have buildings and trees out as far as necessary to give optical acuity, no popup scenery etc.

But something changed and now I don’t even bother flying over the cities as they currently look like a big melted sandpit, with buildings and trees only appearing when I get within two miles of them, and this is with a graphics card twice as powerful as the one I flew the alphas with.

I have made a detailed zendesk report yesterday as to some of my findings regard tree drawing distance and quality which I hope they will act on, because Sebastian Wloch keeps saying he doesn’t know what is wrong. It’s poor that with all their assembled knowledge they can’t sort this fundamental aspect of the sim out, yet I can find significant improvements after only a few hours of testing…

Unfortunately I haven’t made any progress with building drawing to date, but I keep testing.

8 Likes

Couple of screenshots I just took near San Francisco. 2000ft altitude, but I;m not sure exactly where you took your pics from to try to replictae. If you take them with the drone and not have the plane in the way, it would be easier to see where you took them.

Sorry - just realised you said in an airliner. Let me try that now. I have no cache so shouldn’t be an issue.

2 Likes

Airliner version

1 Like

10000000000000% agree.

2 Likes

Ok. So grateful it’s not just me. I knew it wasn’t just me as my LOD bug I created a couple of months back is now in top 10 of bugs but hearing Asobo say they don’t see it and to provide more examples just broke me yesterday. I’m so over this bug.

1 Like

If you’re on a 300mb/s connection, why do you have rolling cache enabled at all?

Thank you Gordon!! For record, what resolution are you using (I’m on my mobile so can’t see). I am in 1440p.

Also I’m using a livery but surely that has nothing to do with LOD or bottlenecked photogrammetry?

Finally, are you located in US? I’m now more believing it’s a US server issue.

No idea to be honest. Because it was on by default and thought it’d best so that my monthly download usage isn’t 100gb every time I fly.

do you have a data limit? In my experience if your connection is good enough, just turn off all manual and rolling cache. It will speed up loading times as well.

1 Like

I got so much hate and heat on the threads and on Reddit yesterday because I too heard Sebastian blow it off as if “it doesn’t happen and they don’t see it so just send more examples”. It really frustrated me and thought he responded poorly. Jorg on the other hand gave me some hope but I too wish Asobo would try to address this issue. Clearly something is going on.

I too didn’t have any issues during alpha.

4 Likes

I have the same problems. Sooo bad. All the black trees and buildings. I thought it was my setup… but I have a good PC, with 100mbps internet. And I see so many people with the same issues. It can even be see at airports. Go to KSMO… look around. It is all melted!

1 Like

Yep. I am actually leaning on, based on today’s posts in the forums, Asobo degraded the LOD even more, if that’s even possible, for some type of night lighting performance improvement but it just doesn’t look good. LOD has to get fixed otherwise this isnt better looking than xplane 11.

2 Likes

1440p
i9 10900K
32Gb ram
RTX 2080 super
no rolling cache
350 Mbits internet
all data turned on except multiplayer
AI traffic off
Settings all on max except render scaling (100)
I’ve left motion blur on medium, but will probably turn it off as I generally hate it in any other game
I’ve tweaked the nVidia control panel:

I don’t know if these have any impact on PG or not (I don’t see how)

Can’t believe livery has any impact. I’ve emptied my community folder for the patch update, so currently no scenery or mods installed

I’m in the UK. My server is North Europe and shows a ping of 34 right now

I woud turn off rolling cache if you have it on. I found it makes zero difference and seemed to improve FPS slightly without it

Hope this helps

2 Likes

LOD has been a sporadic thing for me. Sometimes it seems to be ok. Other times, I also see a melted mess of buildings that may or may not correct themselves when I’m right above them.

I don’t get it. I have a decently fast CPU and GPU (Ryzen 2700X with RTX2080), plenty of RAM, the game is loaded on an NVMe SSD, and I have 1 Gbit fibre internet that’s been nothing but rock solid and blazing fast. I’m pretty sure the issue isn’t on my end.

1 Like

This is what San Diego looks like to me right now.

And my settings:

Isn’t the melted building issue a well known issue related to the LOD? You can try to push your LOD beyond 2.0 from useropts config file (you can search the forum about it), it helps on improving the LOD but it makes your sim CPU bound, try it and see if it helps.

The point is that this shouldn’t be happening regardless of what our LOD setting is.

And I lost about 10 fps with this update. Not willing to do any changes that will tank that further.