Any of You Who have "Great" Photogrammetry in Cities... Please Read

That’s the silliest response I’ve read so far. So we’re supposed to not use the camera view and by no means use the ZOOM, as this is a flight sim.

Ahhh got it. Thanks for making me feel so much better. pfft.

Some of our examples are showing an 80% zoom, but others that I’ve posted are when flying into a landing and Chicago isn’t rendered or San Diego isn’t rendered and you just see steeples and pyramids vs actual buildings. Has nothing to do with zoom.

1 Like

Flying the plane from outside wiev IMHO is “fun” and good for gamers I am sure.

If you are flying and wieving the plane from the outside in external wiev and want to move closer you are in fact zooming in. If you switch focus from plane to surroundings you are enlarging the picture and offcause you will reveal buildings/details not rendered as up close. You will only get a “true” picture at 50%enlargement.

The issue for MS/Asobo is the fact that they have not enabled move wievpoint closer/further away in the external wiev ( only in showcase wiev and hidden away in cockpit wiev)

Feel free to use zoom but it will bring along the same issues that plague a zoom lens, lower quality the further you zoom.

1 Like

Yes. I didn’t think of that.

Has everything to do with zoom. Some ot your fellow posters have grasped it.

If we keep continuing comparing pictures taken at 80%-50%-30% we are comparing apples and pears.

1 Like

I mean, it’s actually quite natural for games to have LOD distances.

The reason why you see triangles, is because triangles are easier to render and cost a lot less than other shapes. It’s an optimisation measure.

Sorry to say but it’s staying as is.

1 Like

Exactly, and if you wiev that picture at 50% zoom it will be alright, because you are far away and you cannot see the triangles…but if you zoom then it becomes apparent.

1 Like

There is a solution that Asobo could do, but it would require a lot of resources. When we zoom in, the far away geometry could “load” only in the frame of camera… but that is costly as user is prone to moving camera.

People seeing triangles and complaining about them - that’s literally how all games do it, except none of these games are viewed from 5000ft or more.

1 Like

Thanks, this is helpful. I remapped my mouse wheel to translate instead of zoom. All I want to simulate is “pressing my nose against the window”, and not zoom any further.

However, I do wish the level of detail were better on far away buildings. It is particularly noticeable on a 4K display.

1 Like

Lucky me (lol)only at 1080, but 3x 1080 nvidia surround so my 2070 have to move close to 6 mill. pixels

2560x1440x 3 11mill. pixels…perhaps 3090??

Nahh…too expensive

Check the antivirus and the firewall, it happened to me and I had to uninstall kaspersky and everything returned to normal

I’ve had similar issues.

I actually tested KSAN using the suggestions above (including turning off rolling cache and multiplayer) and had poor PG for KSAN. Then disabled PG and re-enabled it, and it actually looked decent (except for close to airport at ground level).

Then tried the same at KLAX - and as you can see from the pics - it’s still horrible.

On a 1gb fiber connection - so it’s not data.

Also tried manually caching the area at High-res - same results.

I have the same exact problem, I am fully maxed out on the graphics settings running a RTX 2080Ti with a i7-8700k and 32GB of RAM yet my photogrammetry looks absolutely horrendous and my internet is over 200Mbps as well. I do not get how they do not see the issue at all when we have these videos and screenshots showing them that there is clearly a problem with it.

2 Likes

We all understand that the melted buildings are just a low polygon version of the PG 3D models to save bandwidth & memory when it’s so far out and only account for a few pixels on your 50% (normal) zoom.

The issue here is zooming does not load high detailed objects into the sim. But on the other hand, loading new objects would definitely impact performance/take time and do you want your sim to lag every time you zoom?

To simulate what you may experience, you can toggle the Developer mode and teleport to any major airport with PG cities around. You will see the time it takes to build up the detailed PG buildings and then you can decide if it’s worth it for zooming

2 Likes

Here I did a few testing right at KJFK

1. Different zoom level. To me, even 80% zoom looks good. You can only see the melted objects above 90% zoom

1. Keep 100% zoom at NYC, and get closer to the subject until the PG building becomes decent. Note that it takes a significant amount of time to load even with Gigabit download (I have Verizon Fios)

1. Keep 100% zoom but moving away from NYC until the PG building melts to a small bump.

To be honest, the more I do these kinds of investigation, the more I am impressed about the scope of this game

2 Likes

Given the amount of trouble people have had downloading the game itself, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that the real-time streaming of all these things: textures, mesh, weather, traffic… is also not always working.

Totally understand the zoom issue. That is not primarily want I am speaking of.

The buildings look like steeples and trees show as pyramids. It just doesn’t look like it used to look. Here’s my “best case” scenario today from JFK where the buildings somewhat don’t look like steeples or pyramids.

Yep I can concur similar results today as well. Hoping they’ll improve the textures and PG in upcoming North America update.

I have this issues as well. At some point in the last month or so, the scenery went from looking amazing to not very good with the exact same settings enabled. I do run the sim with it completely zoomed out at all times, anyone know if this issue stems from being zoomed out or is it only zooming in that people have noticed the problem? Cheers.

This is 100% false - you just never noticed it. The main reason I never purchased the sim was because I couldn’t get over how terrible photogrammetry looked in the alpha (and how blurry ground textures looked from an airliner altitude in general). Sure enough, it still looks terrible.

And those in this thread who claim they don’t have this issue are simply flying too close to the photogrammetry. You can’t take a screenshot at 3000ft, a few nm away from the city and expect to see the problem. This is mostly an issue affecting AIRLINER SIMMERS because at 30,000ft you don’t need to “zoom” at all, it’s super obvious. The OP used barely any zoom, and you can clearly see the pyramids and obelisks.

2 Likes