Any Paraglider/Hangglider pilots here?

I’m a rated paraglider pilot from the PNW. Anyone else here fly gliders?

It would be cool to connect with other glider pilots that fly on MSFS!

I’m not, but I wish I had taken it up when I was younger. And I have seen a few in my travels here. @Theduck38, for example, has a paraglider in his profile picture.

Edit: For the benefit of those paraglider pilots here, I am going to repost this YouTube video that still blows me away after countless re-watches

2 Likes

Epic! Tom de Dorlodot and Horacio Llorens are absolute mad men in the paragliding world! Gavin McClurg is one of my favorite pilots.

This is also a great video to watch if you like paragliding!

Short Version:

Full Video:

3 Likes

Paraglider pilot form the UK here. Not sure if I can link here (admins, remove if not allowed). You can see my MSFS pictures and paraglider pictures on Insta…

@Paraglidecass and @Flightsimcass

3 Likes

I flew hang gliders from 1985 to 1993 in Mexico. Logged almost 1.000h, even flew competitions.
These were the days…

Epic, you probably familiar with Flybubble then? I’d love to fly the UK!

Your nearly a pioneer! I’ve always wanted to fly hangies but feared my neck would cramp after a few minutes.

Dumb question: How do you launch in the UK? Much of the southern part is flat like in your photo right? Are you flying off low hills and then scratching your way up there, or?

Very familiar, bought a few items from them and also watched a lot of their YouTube vid’s.

UK is fun if the weather is good. If themic, the flatland areas can work, but I do like the Malverns, Wales (around Crickhowell etc) and the Lake District. This year the weather hasn’t been great, but still managed 150 hours + …I have a very understanding boss :rofl:

We have a few hills like Westbury, Combe and Pewsey that are low compared to most, but good enough to launch from. If it is summer and thermic you can launch into a thermal and go straight up :slight_smile: At least if you end up at the bottom the walk up isn’t so bad with smaller hills :rofl:

1 Like

yep, flew giders and tried paragliding for a year and a half.

Flat land thermailing is something I haven’t done yet. Here where I am, it’s all 4,000asl+ mountains. It’s great on sleder days, but thermilic conditions are super unpredictable. Makes for a fun ride if you dare to fly mid day!

1 Like

Awesome! I’m thinking of starting glider training soon. Thet have rentals around here for nearly $50 a day!

1 Like

certainly worth it!
I liked gliders over paragliding, but in my opinion paragliding is the purest form of flying.
become a member of a gliderclub and annual fees can be reduced to a minimum. Especially if you need to help with maintenance during winterstop, field duties or barshifts at the clubhouse.
Best part of all will be your first solo-flight and of course the stories from the good old past, from your local ex-military flightinstructor that will take you for a unexpected aerobatic adventure during your lessons.

2 Likes

Hello,

I am indeed a paraglider pilot, or used to be, as I stopped 2 years ago (after 27 years and about 1000 flights) to save time for eMTB and mountain hiking…
I will surely come back to paragliding in the future as it has been part of my life for quite a long time.

Most of my flights were in French alps, but I also went many times to Tenerife (my profile “big” picture was taken there) during winters. I have a tandem licence (but no tandem wing !) and about a hundred smiles from my passengers :smiley:

PICT0008-me 2005-01-12_222337-me

2 Likes

Fantastic, and thanks for sharing the photos! The Alps is the top on my bucket list, followed by Himalayas and Argentina!

So far, I’ve just been to a handful of sites on the West coast USA. My home launch is Woodrat Mountain in Southern Oregon. But I will reach to other parts before retiring. :wink:

I had an intermediate Hangglider licence for about 8 years, about 15 years ago. I flew at many, many sites up and down the east coast of Australia. Best thing in this world, unfortunately Iife just refused me the time to do it, and I haven’t gone back…too old now.

Paraglider pilot for 10 years, from Corsica, Ajaccio.

4 Likes

Hi I’m HG pilot from Italy… It would be nice if there was a chance to fly a hang glider with msfs, even for xbox gamers

3 Likes

I am a PG pilot/ instructor. I really want to find a quality paraglider aircraft to use with msfs 2024. hmm.