Any quality B-17 news for MSFS 20?

Anyone heard anything regarding a quality B-17 (like A2A accusim one) coming to MSFS 20?

2 Likes

Well… Your best guess would be A2A and that’s more than unlikely at this point. Someone else at that level of quality is highly questionable as well.

I would love nothing more than for A2A to bring their B-17 to FS2020, or anyone at a similar quality. To put things in perspective for A2A, since they are only now working on their first plane and it’s single engine, I think we still have to be thinking in terms of years for their B-17 if at all, unfortunately.

1 Like

I know there would be a large number of people interested in it, especially once Asobo makes shared cockpit a reality.

4 Likes

Shared cockpit, shared cockpit, shared cockpit

Everybody now…

1 Like

With the announcement of FS2024, I feel it’s worth checking in on an important plane still missing from FS2020. Most of the planes at the top of my wish list have either been made, are nearing completion, or are at least in a developer’s pipeline. The one glaring exception is the B-17 Flying Fortress, preferably the F model but I’m not too picky at this point. Is there any news on this beautiful bird? I know FS2020 is complex but I’m surprised if really no one is working on the project, especially considering we now have multi-engine prop examples such as the DC-3, DC-6, and even the Hughes H-4 Hercules.

The B-17 is so special to me. I flew on one named “Aluminum Overcast” a few years ago and that really took my appreciation for the type (and aviation in general) to a whole new level! Last year, I got to visit “Memphis Belle” at the US Air Force museum and it was really impressive. Sadly, it is my understanding that all flightworthy examples are still grounded pending inspection for wing spar issues. Knowing full well that they will not be able to fly forever, I really want to see them live on virtually, especially while they are still available for detailed observation inside and out, and for high quality sound recording.

I have A2A’s B-17 for FSX, but I got it just before FS2020 released so I didn’t get to fly it nearly as much as I would have liked. I have uninstalled all my other FSX add-ons except the B-17, even though I can’t bring myself to go back to the old sim to fly it - I may have to force myself, and I’ve actually started re-reading the manual just in case. I would love, love for A2A to bring their work to FS2020, but at the rate they’re going they may not even have their first project released before FS2024 comes out.

I would be happy for now just if Aeroplane Heaven would convert their FSX B-17 so that we had something, even more so if it were upgraded to full FS2020 standards, of course. At this point, I would be grateful just to have a good visual model, ok sounds, and a flight model with the right feel and hitting in the ballpark for speed/altitude/range numbers.

Is anyone in the community working on one, or willing to do so? I found this post which mentions someone, “Elitel90”, who apparently would be happy if a skilled individual would convert her model: A2A B-17 for MSFS 2020? - #12 by MidLearner26126

3 Likes

The B-17 is maybe the most historic plane in Military History. Years ago when in USN in Scotland, I joined an Aviation Book Club and one of my free books was all about the B-17. Boy what a plane. It was instrumental in winning the air war over Europe in WW-II. Yes, losses were high, but the stakes were high then as well. I do not believe any other plane has made quite this mark on aviation.
Yes the B-52 and the C-130 as well, both well over 70 years old. The B-52 is getting huge makeover to carry it out well beyond it’s 100 birthday, and they still manufacturer the C-130, as many services use it for lots of cargo hauling into short field places.
Yes, we need to B-17 too.

There is a freeware version of the B-52 for FSX and it’s just a beast to fly and land. I have an B-47 for X-Plane 11 but never have installed it.

1 Like

A2A are VERY close to their first release and their hold back was Accusim, not the first plane. With Accusim being ready now further development may be much faster. Their B-17 has certainly been a must have in other sims so I would actually be surprised if they left this chance out in MSFS 2020 or 2024.

It’s a fair point that if they finally have Accusim working then aircraft development should be quicker, but after 3 years I’m not exactly holding my breath. Also, I know they like to work their way up. To that end, a definitive edition of the P-51D Mustang would be an excellent stepping stone and an instant seller. But it’s still a bunch of what ifs and hypotheticals. It’s not like they’ve released a roadmap of future plans (unless I’ve completely missed it).

Specifically, I am concerned that by the time A2A would release the B-17, * if * they do at all, FS2024 will be out and they might skip FS2020 altogether. I am planning to stick with FS2020 until they shut down the servers, or at least until I can afford a new computer. That’s why I wish someone would take on this project in the meantime.

I don’t think you missed a lot, there wasn’t much actually. As far as I remember however they weren’t too enthusiastic about doing the warbirds, particularily the radials. I HOPE they change their mind on this though. The AT6 was my alltime favourite from A2A and the B17 was amazing as well.

1 Like

Maybe you don’t need a new computer. FS24 will even run on Xbox S, the hardware need shouldn’t be much different from MSFS2020.

1 Like

Truthfully, I think my computer would manage ok, but I simply have no hard drive space. I barely have room for FS2020 as it is (around 50gb free space), and the only other game I have installed is FSX. In fact, I’ve already had to skip the last few world updates due to a lack of room. Having both FS2020 and 2024 installed together is obviously a no-go for me, and at this point I’m not even sure my hard drive would be big enough for FS2024 by itself.

Additionally, I am not convinced that everything I have for FS2020 will work in FS2024, for various reasons, meaning I may well have to keep 2020 installed even if I did make the jump, depending on what content doesn’t transfer over of course. That’s why I am so keen on seeing a B-17 in FS2020. It would allow me to finally uninstall FSX and save that much more space for more add-ons.

The B-17 is one of the aircraft that I really miss after leaving it behind with FSX. A revival of the A2A B-17 would be wonderful!

I hope their output acclerates and they revisit some of their warbird classics once the Comanche is out.

I exactly recall when I first started up the B-17 in FSX. It was an unbelievable experience I will never forget.

1 Like

Same here … might have to do with the fact that A2A’s Scott Gentile randomly called me on my phone to ask how I liked my purchase just when I was about to start the first engine. We had a quick little chat and then I went back to starting her up. I certainly will never forget that! :grin:

3 Likes

The first time I started up the A2A B-17 was a pure joy. This was already after I had flown on the real thing, and I must have spent an hour just going through procedures and pouring through the manual button by button. I think I finally managed to get 3 of the 4 engines running, and that truly felt like an accomplishment. I can only dream of that experience with FS2020’s visuals and immersion.

Which B-17?

1 Like

Two of the four currently airworthy B-17’s have been cleared to fly again fwiw.

1 Like

Yep, was just scrolling down before I replied. There’s an airshow at JBLM, the AFB near me in July and a B17 is supposed to be there.

If you can’t wait, the Aeroplane Heaven B-17 for FSX which is free on Orbx converts over fairly well. Most of the gauges work in the cockpit. The only issue I had with it is that you cannot cold start on the ground or the aircraft will flip out of control and the engines are massively overpowered for some reason. If you change the field “power_scalar = 0.004” to that value it makes it much more controllable.