Any way to install without the XBox app?

Simple answer is we need the Xbox app because Microsoft says we need it. The Xbox brand is more than just the console, and MS is consolidating Windows + Console gaming under that brand.

Is it technically possible for MS to create an installer that doesn’t use Xbox services? Of course it is, they develop the game, they can do whatever they like. The developers can create all manner of installation types.

Is that going to happen? No it’s not. They aren’t going to take a flagship game and break it out of the Xbox brand just cause some people are upset about seeing that “console” app on their PC. The Xbox app has some nifty features as well, such as the ability to play your Xbox games via remote streaming on your PC - you can play AAA titles on a low-end laptop that way. And if you don’t have an Xbox handy, there’s a lot of games on their Cloud streaming service that you can use.

So the sooner you accept that “Xbox” is not going away, the happier you’ll be. If you are really that concerned about bloatware, I would suggest that you need to leave the Windows platform and move to Linux. Even the Mac has started loading up things with their own shift to consolidate Mac + iPad. It’s just how things are now.

Linux + XP is still an option if you are simply not going to accept the state of things today.

2 Likes

would like to like your post but talking about personality? are you ok?.. i have an example, i just today answer to the thread, but this thread i can found only in my activity lol…

Don’t waste your time Gordon, life’s too short

1 Like

I can understand the frustration felt by the OP. I’m struggling myself with my PC update even after installing this xbox thing, the update still doesnt appear. It would help if MS could publish a definitive walk through procedure including how to utilise the xbox app instead of relying on contributors to do their work for them. I’ll just put it to one side for a week after struggling with it all day and and revisit in a week and see if anything has changed.

Wow guys…

all that was said is that the current workaround is to install the app. Not tha we‘ll need the app from now on and guess what, I never installed it because I couldn‘t when I tried. My store was so screwed up for some reason that I eventually reset the store and even kicked off the gaming services from the registry, then couldn‘t reinstall them as usual and had to use a powershell command which I found in this forum. Then suddenly the update was there. Without the xbox app.

You can uninstalll the Xbox app immediately after updating MSFS.

1. Install XBox app
  2. Update MSFS
  3. Configure Xbox app to not launch at system start
  4. Profit?

I can confirm that steps 1 through 3 work. and take a few minutes to perform, and you need never see it again. This certainly doesn’t demand the drama we’ve seen in multiple threads about this.

4 Likes

If i remember correctly these services posted above, or alike

are already there in a new windows 10 install and is used by a lot if games besides mfs not executables but probably the bound libraries, or when it uses the services a local loop or maybe ipc/pipes).

There have been windows updates which included these services. If MS has decided to not push these updates anymore using win update, the xbox app will, as these will then include latest versions (for cross play for example).

That would be one part of the equation, and is quite speculative. I could be wrong there, but it’s how i remembered.

The other part is more applicable. The MS store (and it’s bound servers) had issues, not only mfs was affected. As the xbox app has it’s own bound servers and not having issues, you are able to update.

So, instead of installing the xbox app, you could also have waited. But decided not to wait has made you use the workaround, hence installing the xbox app.

I wonder if whether you’re connected to your MS account through Windows has any bearing on it?

It’s how games work. Want to play games install the client.

And how about addons? I assume you don’t use orbx, aerosoft, pmdg, etc.?

good maybe something changed because that is the way it use to be

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.