Any way to reduce the incessant Haze (its bad in VR)?

I haven’t seen much color in VR for a couple of releases now. I used to be able to see the horizon and actual color and trees into the distance, now its just a washed out glow. Doesn’t matter what weather / date / time… its either hazy white or full on bright bloom.

Is there a way to reduce the washed out Haze that has now permeated this sim?

Have you tried searching for a solution? There are several threads on the topic.
Short answer is: no

2 Likes

Saw loads of posts and tbh, search results can leave you with a sea of irrelevant posts so thanks for summarising.

FWIW. I turned ColorGradient down from 1 to 0 and this “helped” to a minor degree. (Saw this on a recent Varjo Aero video)

3 Likes

The haze is really bad IMHO. It looks like one is always flying towards a fog bank…Not normal at all especially on a sunny day…

The haze is terrible and needs to go somewhere else.

The only “solution” I know of is flying with preset weather instead of live weather. Obviously not ideal and I do hope Asobo puts some effort into improving the VR experience in upcoming updates. The sim looked pretty amazing in VR prior to SU5

How do you adjust the color gradient…I’m using Reverb G2?

I did recently find a fix for this in VR. I recently implemented the NIS scaler and the haze has been reduced significantly. Have you tried that? See here for more info. So not only did I get a performance improvement and a sharper image, but the haze has been greatly improved as well.

Its in the UserOpt.cfg file “ColorGradient” (from memory). This did definately improve it. Obviously I changed it for the VR section.

BTW, I never use Live Weather so thats not the issue. Flight sims love their excessive Haze. Had same issues in DCS (fixed via mod), X-Plane and now MSFS.

Will check it out…just making sure not referring to the natural smog around some cities. If you turn off live weather it defaults to clear…I find that to be very clear.

So there is the nis_scaler and then there is the UserOpt.cfg
file “ColorGradient”, what’s the difference between the 2. From what I read the nis_scaler is an .exe installer and the UserOpt.cfg is just a small edit [what’s the value changed to btw]?

I changed it to 0. I don’t use the NIS open_xr plugin because none of those upscaling technologies (NIS, FSR) do anything for my VR visuals except degrade them. I wasn’t aware the NIS scaler changed anything to do with ColorGradient anyway so I just changed the config file.

I saw this suggested by someone in a video about the Varjo Aero as he also stated the bloom/ bright haze on the horizon was ridiculously bad in the latest release and he may have to change the ColorGradient in the UserOpt file to 0. So I tried it and it helped. As with most things in life (and this title in particular) ymmv.

Tried changing
EyeAdaptation
ColorGrading
Sharpen
to 0, it looked less color rich so I changed it back to 1.

I’m not sure you’re talking about the same thing, the NIS Scaler makes absolutely no difference to the weather haze as it has nothing to do with the weather.

The haze I’m talking about is the bright white areas in the sky mostly centered wherever the sun is but also exists across the entire sky to a lesser degree. If that’s the haze everyone is talking about then give the NIS scaler a try and see if it has any impact. It’s easy enough to remove if it has no effect for you. After implementing it I have my blue skies back and I’m happy for that.

I already use the NIS Scaler, can’t say I’ve noticed any difference with what you’re referring too (could depend on hmd used).

Well I can’t think of anything else that changed on my end. The haze has been so over-powering. I got to the point where I would only fly in a direction opposite the sun and I had turned bloom and light shafts off to try and minimize the haze. But to no avail. The haze still was ever-present.

But today I was flying towards the sun! Bloom and light shafts are re-enabled. So if it wasn’t the NIS scaler then I’m stumped.

I have a reverb G2 with an AMD 6900 xt graphics card. I’m using windows OpenXR with it set at 100% render scale and the game at 100% render scaler. I set the NIS at 75% with 60% sharpening.

aahh you’re talking about “saturation” and “over exposure” not Haze (which is a weather term) :slight_smile:

I now get what you’re saying, but again I fail to see how the NIS Scaler can help with this when this option isn’t in the NIS Scaler (yet, it’s coming). I too use a G2 and this effect makes no difference to the over exposure for me. It’s still far too “bleached” out compared to monitor use, but each to their own so if it’s better for you then great.

I’m talking about the “haze” as described by the original post. Here’s how the original post describes the issue.

I’m only suggesting others try the NIS scaler because for me the haze is much better now. I’m not claiming it’s a permanent solution. I’m just giving a suggestion to give it a try. If it works for you then great. If not then nothing is lost.

1 Like

I dont get it too much in preset weather. After all it is hazy in the distance in real world. But last time I tried live wx it was too heavy and had to quit.