Anybody been using MSFS since the beginning aka1980s.?

So a little about my background in the flightsim community. I started with Sublogics floppy disks way back in the 80s. My first computer was a Commodor 64. So aweful trying to fly with the keyboard and that whahahaha noise that was supposed to be a engine. My dad bought me a scenery pack for New Mexico.I think it had 8 floppy disks.
Since then I have owned every version of flight sim that has come out.
I caught pnumonia in 1998 and was homebound for 3 months. My grandma would pick up the phone and disconnect my downIoads from flightsim. I was so sick back then all I could do was sit with our dialup and hope 56k could download my planes on MSFS 95. Lol.
I still have a softspot on my hd(well now SSD) for ms2004. http://www.calclassic.com/ It still runs on my fancy ■■■ I-9 with a RTX video card.
Now we are into a whole new generation of flightsim. I love this one despite its somewhat drawbacks. If anybody is our there to share thier stories or photos id love to hear them.

24 Likes

First used Flight Sim on a BBC Micro :slight_smile:

3 Likes

FS5 for me, someone had installed it on a computer at work.
Got addicted and had every version since.

I got into FS with FS 2.0. Crop dusting fields and trying to land with keyboard controls, nearly impossible.

It’s the first game I played ‘online’ through dial-up with a friend who sat in his dad’s Doctor’s practice where they had a PC. I was on my dad’s PC which he had from work (He worked on the development of early PCs) Direct connection over 2400 Baud modem and we could see each other in the air. He in monochrome, Hercules graphics, and me in ugly 4 color CGA.

Since then I’ve always kept up with flight simulator. A new release was my time table to get a new PC or new upgrades. Consequently when Fligth simulator went on hiatus I left my PC as is (still the same) and switched to console gaming to now play FS2020 on a gaming laptop instead.

For all the good things, FS is also the game that created a deep distrust in mods in me. I’ve had horrible viruses from downloading mods next to nasty incompatibility issues and a plethora of crashes from mods. I stay away from them now.

My favorite is 2004 Century of Flight. It was great to fly all the old planes and recreate historical flights. FSX got me into helicopters and flying all around the world, which I’m doing now in exponentially more detail.

Things still missing from FS2020

One of my favorite missions from FSX

As well as one of my favorite planes from FSX

I still have the boxed versions of the older games, I bet they would run really well now. However after getting spoiled with views like this

It’s hard to go back!

17 Likes

FS2 for me.

First MS product was FS 3, and later, ATP, but several earlier sims on Spectrum amd Amstrad CPC64. It has all cost a bit since then, but worth every penny.

1 Like

My first encounter with Flight Sim was the Original version (Pre-MS) that was produced for the Sinclair ZX81 on an audio cassette tape. Now that took a while to load and ran on my 16k plug in module. The computer came with 1k of RAM some of which was mapped for BIOS info. It really started to sing with the 16k RAM module (who am I kidding, with nothing more than beeps for sound, I could hardly call it singing - Oh yes, and it was only B&W).

12 Likes

Well i also had a C64, but we were poor and i could never afford games more than 2-3 times a year. Solo Flight was one of the first “sims” i played, and the first FS i played was 5 (mid 90s i think) on either the Amiga or PC, FPS was lower than 4, cant remember that anything ran smoothly.

Eventually got FS98 which had the large ugly ground textures, then i got 2000, 2002, CoF (2004), FSX and now 2020. I’ve played lots of other sims like AFS2, XP11, DCS, F16 Combat Pilot, F18 Interceptor, Birds of Prey, Strike Force Harrier, F15 Strike Eagle, Chuck Yeagers AFT and too many more to mention.

I like to fly different things and understand how things works regardless if it’s a big or small bird.

3 Likes

Started out with the Sublogic flight simulator II for Comadore 64,. Then flight simulator series from Microsoft from version 3 all the way to FSX, moved onto P3D v2 , X-Plane 9, 10 and 11 and finally MSFS 2020. Had IBM 386, 486, Pentium, first i7 and now my i7 8086.

3 Likes

Aviator on the BBC Micro, which was 1983.

An island which you could fly around and shoot down alien flying things I remember. The aircraft was a Spitfire.

8 Likes

Sublogic FS2 on my C64 then every MSFS version after I got my Gateway 2000 DX266. Also had most of the Janes series, Falcon 3.0, and Terminal Reality Fly! For helicopters I also had Comanchee and AH64.

My first sim was SubLogic ATP on an IBM PS/1 around 1993. For those unfamiliar, it was like FS4 graphics, with only 5 airliners to fly. After couple of yrs, jumped onto MSFS5. Never stopped simming, got my PPL somewhere in the way, and my instrument rating a lot later. I keep simming as often as I can, and am not planning to stop any time soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sublogic Flight Simulator II on the Atari ST (monochrome) and Amiga (color and better sound). Later switched to the PC and FS4. And so on …

1 Like

Started with FS2 on the trusted 8088 XT with a green monochrome display. Must have been around 1985. Hooked on FS since then. Started flying for “real” in 1996. Built my first proper home cockpit in 2004.

1 Like

FS9, FSX, P3d…

FS98 and all the way to here. FS98 was the best but FSX is good as well. I am not happy with this one, time will tell. I think it caused me to pull our my last three hairs over a crash which the game caused not me.

On the FSX main folder, you can open up FS9, FS2000 and FS2004 the exe files are there. I have not tried to see if they work.

original release in 1982 on an IBM XT. Then other versions after and in Colour with a Hercules Graphics card.
Somewhere aroud here I still have the 5 1/4 inch 20 MB HDD from that machine

FS2 for me, on an Apple 2e.

3 Likes

I had FS1 and possibly FS2. I remember getting a TRS 80 for Christmas in 1982. A family member gave me a box of cassettes which included FS1. I think I got FS2 later on. I was too young to appreciate it back then even though I did “play” it with a keyboard. I got serious with FS9 and continued to the present day.

1 Like

I started with FS2 for the C64, and I’ve bought every version of MSFS except for FS95.

I also owned Sublogic’s Jet and then later on ATP. ATP was my favorite sim as it was my first “realistic” airliner sim for the PC. Once FS5.1 along with the flightshop, I was finally able to fly around the world using airliners.

I stay away from mods as well, I got burned early on with a few of them and I don’t really trust them now.