Anyone else having trouble activating the AP on the Cessna Longitude since SU5?

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.

1. No
    Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it? NO

Brief description of the issue:I can’t get the Auto Pilot to engage on the Cessna Longitude…I use the AP in several other airplanes without any problems…I have watched three videos on flying the Longitude and six tutorials on the G5000 and it seems straight forward–but I hit the AP button and it lights up and then immediately goes out?? I’ve tried it VFR, IFR, with Flight Plan and without…and it just won’t engage…Also, after I try to engage it…I can’t “hand-fly” the plane…it takes full back on the yoke and highest trim up to keep the plane from going straight into the ground…

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:N/A

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered: Follow the usual steps to input a flight plan from the “welcome” screen before launching the flight. Then I use the “auto-start” option (Cntrl + E). Input climb to altitude and activate your favorite climb control (VS, CFL, VNAV, etc.) and takeoff…Garmin says that the AP can be activated as soon as the plane is 400’ AGL (I routinely hand-fly until I have the gear and flaps up–more like 1000’ AGL. Then turn on FD, set hdg bug to the current heading and activate, activate climb setting and activate and then select AP…on all my other planes the AP then takes control and you can use the heading bug to move the plane toward the plotted course, or just hit the NAV button to get shortest path to your course line. You can attend to radio, ATC, and such until the primary altitude is reached or a course correction is needed…BUT in my LONGITUDE when you press the AP button…nothing changes, until you try to input manual direction, and anything you do ends up in a steep dive into terrain…I can recover the plane by holding down the elevator trim button and pulling the yoke back against the stops…but it doesn’t last long and I eventually crash…

CyberPowerPC. Description

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:1.19.7 (or 8).0–persisted through to 1.19.9.0

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?– Store

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #? No

You’re still flying the default Longitude and not Dakfly’s mod? Best of luck to ya.

2 Likes

Have you tried to uninstall and then reinstall the Longitude from the content manager in your profile area. That could help. Before you do, remove any and all mods you’ve installed in your community manager. After you reinstall the Longitude, check if AP works. Close the sim, add your mods back in and see if the AP works or not.

1 Like

Thanks for taking time to respond…If I may, I’d like to ask you a couple of questions…

#1 when you say to "remove any and all mods " that would even include mods that don’t apply to the longitude they should still be removed??? (I have added one to the bonanza to get a turbo).
#2 I understand that you have programmed a modification package for the Longitude…whats it do (anything to help the AP or sensitivity of the flight controls???) and where can I get it! Thanks again, Tom K

To double-check - are you using either-or:

1. Dakfly’s Longitude Performance Mod (you should)

https://flightsim.to/file/3655/asobo-cessna-citation-longitude-flight-dynamics-modifications-project-version-1-0

1. Working Title’s G3000 - the Longitude’s G5000 is essentially a G3000 with two additional PIC and COP touchpads.

https://www.workingtitle.aero/packages/g3000/

Try those and see if you’re still having problems.

2 Likes

I’m flying the default Longitude without these problems.
For troubleshooting I would recommend to rename or empty the community folder.

I’ve added both of the suggested programs, and although I like them, they don’t seem to help get my A/P to engage.? I tried engaging the A/P before taking off–and have had mixed results with that. Some of it seems to depend on engaging the auto-throttle right after takeoff, or engaging the NaV rather than the Hdg control…
I chose to fly the Longitude rather than the CJ4 because the instrumentation appeared to be more similar to the King Air that I have no trouble flying. I keep thinking that there is something that I am forgetting to engage before selecting the A/P–I just haven’t found it yet. I have watched several of the longitude tutorials and demos…in all of them they just turn the A/P on and fly on like all of the other planes with A/P…I have reloaded the Longitude from the content manager, I’ve tried loading the game in “safe” mode (which should avoid anything in the “community” file. Ive restarted the game and computer multiple times…but, I can’t get the A/P to engage for more that a second or two…Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, GJTom

There might be something in your controller set that is destabilizing the AP. Maybe trims. AP shouldn’t be enabled before T/O - you’re supposed to handfly to a relative stable position following post-takeoff checks - ideally you should be able to turn on AP during climbout. But first you’d want to be cleaned up - gear up, flaps up, checked in with departure, flying the first leg of the Departure pattern if one was planned etc.

Wow! You provide the best trouble shooting I’ve seen! Congrats and thanks! I’m so glad that you mentioned “trims”–because every plane I fly now has electric trim capability…that option lulled me into forgetting that my joystick has a manual “wheel trim” and although I don’t use it …it can still screw things up…In this case, during some air battle or such on another sim, I got the trim wheel set clear forward (max down)! Once I moved that to a more moderate position, guess what: the A/P turned on and stayed on–its working again!
Just like all the crash data says “pilot error” can make a good plane look bad…Thanks for your help! Tom K

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.