Anyone get a 7900XTX? If so how is the MSFS Performance?

As per the title,
If anyone git a 7900XTX lets us know how it is performing in MSFS please. I have read it is quite a beast in MSFS.

I would really rather give my money to AMD than nVidia. I’m going to be building a dedicated sim computer and I’d love to be able to get an AMD card for it, but I always end up a bit disappointed in AMD’s GPU offerings.

There’s a lot to love about the new GPUs. They have incredibly good raster performance that’s within a few percentage points of the 4080. Sometimes a bit better, sometimes a bit lower, but in the same range. You also get more VRAM in both the current 7900 variants. And they’re cheaper than the 4080 they’re competing with. All good things.

However, AMD tend to launch great hardware with half-baked drivers that lack the ability to fully utilize the hardware to its potential. In some cases, those drivers will eventually use these extra features. Other times not. Historically, performance does get better over time with new drivers - moreso than with nVidia. But their driver stability has always been and still is questionable at best.

An example currently is the 2 AI processors per CU. Yeah, great to have, only nothing actually uses it. Perhaps in the future, they’ll use that for FSR upsampling. Maybe they won’t. Maybe they’ll have some kind of fake frame generation like nVidia. Maybe they won’t. It’s hard to put value on unused / unsupported features.

And of course, their ray tracing performance is still abysmal at best. When RT is finally added to MSFS once DX12 gets polished a bit, the folks on the AMD bus are going to be rather disappointed that their frame rate is knocked to potato performance levels when enabled.

In any case, I’m happy that there’s good competition in the GPU space again. If AMD can take a nice share of the market, it’ll cause nVidia to rethink their pricing, which currently is ridiculous.

7 Likes

Full run sold out, wait for second run or partner cards.

Amen ! I think NVidia has been gouging the GPU users for some time now…
Personally, I think their pricing tactics are a perfect example of Serious Corporate Greed !
But, the buyers will still pay a gouging price and smile… amazing !

3 Likes

nVidia saw how much people were willing to pay scalpers and made that their baseline price. There’s exactly zero reason for this type of pricing. They’re sitting on an excess of GPU chips due to the crypto crash they were counting on cashing in on, but releasing them to board partners slowly to create an artificial shortage and keep prices high. All in the name of shareholder profits.

2 Likes

Have actually been having a small discussion with someone on Reddit who purchased a 6700XT to replace their GTX1080. On the GTX1080 they were GPU limited. On the 6700XT they are CPU limited but getting lower fps (same gfx settings). Now we know it’s a faster card - should be around 20% faster, but it seems that if you’re CPU limited (like many in MSFS) then the card is unable to perform. They had a fairly good CPU too, i7-12700.

I can only conclude that the drivers aren’t as efficient as nVidia.

It tallies up with my experience. I haven’t bought an AMD GPU in years. So things may have changed, but I always used to have weird driver issues and odd things happen when I used their cards. Whereas nVidia cards have always been rock solid and stable for me.

It’s like an AA meeting with some folks

Hi my name is Salem and I’m considering an AMD GPU

If I could only super Sian mega connect all four lol

3 Likes

I’ve switched to AMD 3 weeks ago and it has been an amazing experience. Smoother performance, more stable and less crashes in the sim compared to my RTX cards. No issues with VRAM running out etc.
Im not sure if I’ll ever return to nvidia because of their price gouging.

(I’ve read all the comments about AMD bad drivers on the internet and my first conclusion folks have no idea how to properly install or use AMD cards.)

Does not have the RT performance etc and all the gimmicks nvidia are pushing on their overpriced cards if you’re after raw performance hands down it beats nvidia in the midrange department.

5 Likes

I don’t think you really know anything about AMD GPUs. Going with what other folks are saying it or what you hear on the internet. The 6000series had a rocky start but they are an entire different class from their older games.

I have been using Nvidia for decades and if there is one thing AMD does better then nvidia is better rasterization on their midrange GPUs and more VRAM which this sim needs.
Rock solid experience with my rx 6800 in msfs. The sim has never ran this stable. I’m glad I bought it over the more expensive 3070ti or the 3070.

That so called graphics device error thread on the forum I’ve only had it one time with the RX6800 and multiple times on my rtx 2060s. Clearly more Nvidia uses are suffering from it.

2 Likes

I used them exclusively for over a decade. The last being an R9 270X. I’ve installed them in friends’ systems over the last couple of years from the 500 series into the 6000 series. I know a thing or two about them.

You’re correct. In the midrange, they’re by far the best bang for the buck with highest fps per dollar. Their rasterization performance is excellent. But rasterization isn’t all there is to a GPU.

Drivers are still their weakness even with the 6000 series. They’re much better now than they used to be back in the day, but still nowhere near what nVidia delivers in terms of stability.

That said, like I said above, I’m still considering a 7900 XT for my dedicated sim PC. Exactly because they’re the best bang for the buck.

1 Like

Agree. Although I have upgraded to a 4090, mostly for VR, the performance of my 6800XT in MSFS was equal to or better than an RTX 3080, especially in DX12, where nVidia cards were having all sorts of issues in SU11 beta. In 2D at 1440p I was getting excellent frame rates. The Radeon drivers for MSFS were very stable once Asobo had brought the sim to Xbox, as the all AMD hardware in the console meant that they worked with AMD to get the drivers right. Also the Adrenalin software is much more modern than nVidia’s clunky old school NCP, combining features of NCP, GeForce Experience and GPU Tweak (such as custom OC and fan curves) in one package.

The RX 7900 XTX, although still too expensive, is much better value for money than the fortune I had to shell out for my 4090.

2 Likes

Check out Youtube, reviews are coming out. They seem pretty disappointing so far at least for the 7900XT “Hardware Unboxed” Steve said he actually contacted the vendors and told them not to send him anymore because they aren’t worth reviewing or recommending…He said it was a boring product and not worth the price. It’s actually the most disappointed I’ve seen him in one of his reviews.

He didn’t get too much into the 7900XTX and I haven’t seen his review on it yet, except a few bits about it not performing as good as a 4080 series. Watching some other reviews It seemed to benchmark between 3090 and 4080 for the most part. Especially without the DLSS and Ray tracing.

Gamers Nexus tested the 7900xtx and said the card had serious coil whine as well. Definitely, do your homework.

I’m still running a RTX2080S guess I’ll be waiting for the RTX5000 or RX8000 Series.

Cheers

I thought that error was due to running out of VRAM? I have an RTX2060 and never had a single crash touch wood.

Don’t like their price gouging either, which is why I usually stay a generation behind and grab 2nd hand :slight_smile: I’ve been so happy with my 2060 though that I’ve seen no reason to upgrade.

Here’s the 7000 series benchmarks from Paul’s Hardware showing MSFS results at 4K, using a Ryzen 7950X CPU. The RX 7900 XTX is about on par with a 3090 Ti at 4K in the sim. Nothing to write home about unfortunately.

Things become more CPU bound at 1440p and the results get weird:

As a 6900XT owner I am slightly disappointed by the performance gains a 7900XTX would provide. Playing on 1440p, this little increase is not worth the money imho. And, yes, I admit: I would like to know more about those FSR 3.0 plans and if this needs the support by the game engine itself (e.g. would need to be implemented into MSFS first) or not and when it will probably be released. Without FSR 3.0 in MSFS I doubt that I will invest more than 1000 bucks into a novel GPU and depending on the price development, it might very much be already the case that I switch back to nVIDIA again after just one generation AMD cards. Simply because MSFS already supports DLSS 3.0…

Well, sadly AMD has also placed their GPUs above $1’000 (at least in the european market), which makes them almost as overpriced as the nVidia offerings.

1 Like

Great move, i was on a gtx 1070 and still own a Nvidia 950m laptop for my wife now. I changed to a 6700XT and no regrets very good performance at 1440p and 12 GB VRAM. Can i ask something of a different topic? I’m new here and trying to make a post regarding the 40th anniversary which won’t update over the regular version. I’m using PC game pass BTW , if anyone can give any help is super appreciate it🙂

For what AMD said FSR needs to be implemented by the devs doesn’t matter what version. Only RSR can be enabled by the AMD adrenalin software setting but quality is quite bad. Actually I was wondering if MSFS with 40th anniversary version has FSR 2.0 or 2.1 as they announced. Have you tested the latest 40th anniversary? I can’t update to this version using PC game pass :unamused:

Trust me, if you really want the best performance GPU for MSFS, its not AMD.

Although Nvidia is expensive, you will end all your headaches in MSFS with Nvidias new frame generation or even native performance.

1 Like

That’s what it’s looking like. The 4080 may have less VRAM and be only slightly faster in raster performance, but it has a lot more going for it like excellent ray tracing, DLSS3, etc.

1 Like