Anyone have this ping issue?

I can’t for the life of me figure out how to fix this issue (see screenshot, top right). I’ve requested support on zendesk but I keep getting robotic answers like “there is now a new patch blah blah blah…”

Does anyone have the same problem, and how did you fix it if you got it fixed? My bandwidth is 950mb down and 42mb up, and my normal ping is 9ms or less. My internet provider has checked and told me the problem is not on their side.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

It’s been a while… There are some tools you can use that will give you a trace of the ping values from your location to an outside IP address. I suggest exploring it that route so that you can figure out if it is your router or a port that is wrong, or if it is a bottle-neck somewhere outside of your house.

Google: tracing my IP route.

Sorry I am not more help. Networking issues blow chunks.

Those figures are indicating that your roundtrip time to the game servers is around 596 hours if I did it right. Needless to say the game wouldn’t work :wink:
So I’m guessing you’re experiencing a cosmetic rather than a functional issue.
I would suggest testing whether your ping requests work or are blocked from your computer, router or ISP (try ping 8.8.8.8). Are you using a proxy? If so, that might be it.
You make sure you have selected the nearest region from a geo perspective and things should be okay.

Hi @DiBarkis,
Try signing out then back in while on that screen. Then exit from MSFS and relaunch.

Can also do the same for any XBOX related apps you may have installed, such as: XBOX, XBOX Console Companion, XBOX Game Bar.

I tried “ping 8.8.8.8 -t” and my results are 13ms lowest and 27ms highest.

The Xbox Console Companion app has a Network section. Shows stats for Teredo, etc. There is a button for “repair” and another for “test again”. This has helped me out on several occasions.

I’ve never done anything with Xbox, so the app must have come with Windows 10 or with the Flight Simulator installation.

Hope that helps.

Whoa! Even my sloooooooow connection speed looks good compared to that.

If you haven’t already, try logging out of everything completely, reset your equipment and reboot your PC.

Good luck.

Do this and tell us what you see:

First try gave me this:

Fixed it and now I have this:

Starting the sim to check… Will get back to you.

You’re good to go. I guess that is some visual bug as someone said above.

Ok. Now when I restart my PC it’s blocked again. I have to click the “fix it” button again. Is there a way I can make it permanent? Thanks. Also, My page still shows the ridiculous ping even with the xbox networking “fixed” does it mean I shouldn’t worry about it?

The Teredo error is normal. It only opens when MSFS is running, then it closes again when it’s not needed. This is how it works. So the “unable to qualify” is OK. If you open MSFS and go to that screen it will show Teredo active.

Teredo is an old service. It translates IPv6 into IPv4 IP addresses which should now be handled by your router and/or ISP.

Just for fun, I wanted to calculate where @DiBarkis might be playing from.

2147483647ms or a round trip time of 2147483 seconds. Halve that to get 1073742 seconds.

Assuming speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s, for 1073742 seconds, that comes out to roughly 2151 AU!

So somewhere out between the Kuiper belt, and the Oort cloud. :slight_smile:

Hopefully my Maths aren’t messed up here.

2 Likes

That’s probably the most scientific post ever made to this entire forum, respect!

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
That’s a good one. Sometimes when it’s in a good mood, it stays at 250ms but that lasts for about 5 seconds before it reverts to the 7-digit monstrosity :smile:

1 Like

At a guess I would think you might be suffering massive packet loss? You can run the following, using Powershell, to find out what IP addresses FlightSimulator.exe is currently connected to:

Get-NetTCPConnection -State Established -OwningProcess (Get-Process -Name FlightSimulator).id

You could then try pinging a few of those IP addresses, and see what you get, and whether it widely diverges from what you are seeing in the sim. Some educated guesswork here, and I’m not at my computer to check the syntax, but I believe it to be correct.

Here attached is a screenshot of my results. It seems that 3 of the 4 ip addresses have no packet losses but the 4th one lost 100%. Could that be it, and what do I need to do to fix the packet loss?

Thanks a lot!

It may mean nothing at all, but it is an interesting correlation all the same. If the client is connected, then there is clearly something running at the other end. Just because you cannot ping it, it doesn’t mean it is dead. There could be a rule at their end blocking ICMP, so a trace route might also result in packet loss.

You could try putting in a temporary firewall rule to block access to that one IP, then re-launch the sim to see if you have any change in behaviour. Make a note that you have that in place, as you would want to remove it afterwards if it makes no difference. Or even if it does, at some point things will change, and that rule may no longer be relevant.

Hi @DiBarkis,
If you haven’t done so already, send a ticket to zendesk with that first image you posted when you started this topic.

Asobo should correct that display when a timeout is happening. This has happened to other members as well and if my memory serves me correctly, this has happened prior to release of MSFS.

I’m not sure how the code works when a connection to a server is unreachable or fails to connect, but in theory, it should try another server.

Most important is submitting the zendesk ticket; same for others who have this issue.

1 Like

I agree with what @Hester40MT suggested you should do.
One of the addresses you tried to ping does not respond, that really doesn’t mean anything - that address might not accept ping requests (which is very common in cloud services). It will still respond to https services requests (as you are connected on 443).