Anyone here with fear of flying?

It may seem an absurd question on a forum filled with aviation enthusiasts, but maybe someone here has a similar story to mine…

Ever since I can remember, I have been terribly afraid of flying. The thought of being in an actual airplane disaster and living through minutes of sheer terror as I realise I will meet my end fills me with a kind of unique existential dread. For some reason, it is the worst kind of end I can imagine.

On the other hand, I really like activities where you control complex processes, equipment and machines. I am a recreational scuba diver and the enphasize on training correct procedures for a variety of scenarios reminds me a bit of aviation.

What I noticed is that getting into flight sims has dramatically helped me with my fear of flying. I think it’s because I have gained a much better understanding of how an airplane works and what is going on during the flight, and second, my fear of flying is partially overshadowed by a newfound fascination with these beautiful and complex machines.

That doesn’t mean my fear of flying is gone entirely, but I can control it now much better. I’m even considering making the jump from virtual to RL flying and doing a PPL at some point in the future!

4 Likes

I’ve been using simulators since the 80’s. I’ve always wanted to learn how to fly, but like you, I had a fear over dying in a plane crash. I think everyone at some point in their life has thought about the possibility of crashing. Personally, I think about the far greater chance of dying in a car crash.
For years I put off taking flight lessons due to in part, the fear of crashing. My brother got his PPL, my Dad got his, and now, at almost 50 years old, I obtained my PPL this September.
Each time I go up in the 172,I think for a moment that this could be the last time I come home. It’s a passing worry, as the joy and thrill of flight vastly overpowers my fear.
Plus, I take safety extremely seriously. I follow checklists to a T, I check the weather and check the airplane airworthiness as if my life depends on it…because it does.
I believe good pilots never lose the fear of what could happen and that makes us as safe as possible.
I want to watch my children grow up, watch them experience as many wonderful things this life has to offer. Obtaining my PPL has been a lifelong dream. It has risks just like any other activity.
I would suggest you take an intro lesson at your local airport. Once you are up there, my bet is you will get the bug and easily overcome your fears.

2 Likes

2 Likes

For me it’s kinda fascinating to read that people with fear of flying (airliners primarily I presume? Since the main fear is dying in an airplane disaster) eventually go get a PPL.

The chances of getting involved in an airplane disaster are very slim. However, GA crash statistics are about the same as motorcycles. So what you end up doing is much more a risk than the thing what you initially feared :smiley:

2 Likes

Absolutely! I will admit it’s not rational in any way. I guess part of it, at least for me, is being in control vs. being a passenger who can do nothing. The second scenario really amplifies the fear. I rarely think about the possibility of a deadly car crash or something going seriously wrong during SCUBA diving, although the risk for both of these activities are far higher than dying in an airliner crash!

But it is also a process. 10 years ago I would have never though about getting in an airplane as a pilot. I am simply less afraid and at the same time more fascinated then I was back then.

2 Likes

Inspiring story and great pictures. Happy (and safe) flying!

1 Like

I can sympathize with that :slight_smile: Whenever I’m up there, I never feel that unsafe despite having already had a few tight moments.

So true mate, so true. Every time I take off I have this “bubble” in my stomach…one of my instructors told me many years ago, that when you lose that feeling …don’t fly.

4 Likes

I would not say I had a fear of flying, but awareness and respect for the potential risks would sometimes lead to me feeling very nervous. I have been lucky to travel for business at times over the years, and have had some beautiful flights - Business Class in an A380 to Singapore springs to mind, but also a couple of scary moments too - a go-around and a very bumpy landing at Madeira being the worst.

I work in an aviation-related business and have been enjoying MSFS very much, and eventually booked myself an introductory hour flight at my local airstrip on the back of it, which in time I would encourage you to think about trying.
The instructor was excellent - reassuring and professional - and was interested in sim flying too. He also knew in advance exactly what bad habits I was likely to have picked up from flying a desk. He went through what was going to happen and what to expect which bbosted my confidence, although he did warn me that it was ‘quite bumpy today.’
I must say, for the first few minutes of the flight I was extremely uneasy. Part of my brain was screaming at me to get out of that situation, because it felt so alien and scary. The visceral feeling of being chucked around by the wind was far greater than I had ever experienced in an airliner.
But as we progressed up to about 3,000 feet it got a little calmer, and so did I. When I got to take the controls for the first time and perform exactly the same manoeuvres as in the MSFS training sessions - right turn, left turn, climb, descend, throttle back, maintain level flight etc., my confidence shot up and I felt way more comfortable. I had control for a good part of the flight, and my hand lightly on the stick for all of it, and the controls and responses were familiar enough from MSFS although of course the overall experience is different.
By the time we landed I was desperate for it to go on longer, and would say I have lost the irrational part of the fear through having had the experience. I retain a healthy caution and respect, but would have no hesitation in booking another 2 seat GA flight.

2 Likes

I did as a small boy … but then aged 11 I took up rock climbing and heights no longer bother me. That doesn’t mean I wasn’t extra careful with my equipment, I know all the horror stories and have lost a couple of friends to the sport.