Anyone try the new Intel 12th gen with a 3090?

I am currently running a intel 10700kf and a 3090 and wondering if it is worth the upgrade to the new 12th gen intel chips in VR? Of course that would mean a new motherboard too. Just curious if anyone has tried these new chips and seen a FPS or stutter improvement in VR?

Yeah, I am rocking a 12900k and a strix 3090 with DDR5 and I went up from a 9700k.

I fly with a G2 and as of lately have been getting some crazy good performance.

I think I found the problem was having 3 monitors hooked up (1 showing display) but the other two caused issues. Might be the multiple refresh rates.

I still have more tested as the last 2 days since I unplugged my 34 inch Ultra wide 144hz and the 27inch 1080 60 hz have been nice.

Is it worth it? Hard to say, for me? I waited for a long time with the 9700k for this, so I am happy!

3 Likes

Currently testing out the new Viper before it launches in the next few days.

2 Likes

Can’t wait until this is available to us all. I like the F18 so far!

Hey man, love your videos!

How big would you say your performance jump was?

Im on an OCed 8700k and 3080 and am wondering what to expect when I upgrade CPU (most likely next Gen).

2 Likes

Staying with my 9900k and 3090 GPU for at least another year. I still get decent performance out of this rig.
Probably do a new build around end of 2022 at the earliest, might even try and stretch it out one more year will see.

1 Like

Your 10700KF is better than what most folks are rocking at the moment, and you wil gain very little by going to the 12th gen if at all. With your 3090, you will still be limited by GPU, and the CPU will be sitting with frequency to spare. I have 10900K and have experimented going from stock to 5.3Ghz all core overclock and did not see a single FPS improvement in VR. If you do are using it for work, the 12th gen will be definitely worth the upgrade (rendering, video editing, ML, etc), but for flight simming, save the money. This is also a terrible time to upgrade as DDR5 modules are scarce. If it was my money, I’d wait until the 13th or 14th gen. You have one of the fastest systems for simming in VR at the moment.

Interesting point. Probably wait until a upgraded Nvidia card is released.

Soooo, I dont want to exaggerate but I absolutely love how smooth and good things are. Man when things are working, I am in heaven.

There was something just missing before, it wasnt AS smooth, same GPU 3090 but going from 9700k to the 12900k just absolutely smoothed things out.

Dont get me wrong, MSFS is still the only title in VR that can hurt this rig haha, but I love it.

2 Likes

And that’s the only reason I have considered upgrading from my 10850k…though I will probably wait until 13/14900 and pair it with a “4090”

Between the newest OpenXR, latest 497.09 driver and latest SU7 hotfix beta, things have never been better from a performance perspective for me.

I’m getting the best frame rates I’ve ever gotten, but more importantly is the frame timing seems vastly improved. To the tune of up to a 10fps increase in my %1 lows. 30fps feels really good now where it was pretty bad before and I couldn’t handle it without reprojection.

1 Like

So multiple monitors will give us issues in MSFS 2020 VR, I didn’t know that, good to know.

2 Likes

The 9700k only had 8 cores and 8 threads and all the resources was mainly going to the sim. You now have more than double the threads .9700k would have been a better cpu if it had 16threads.

2 Likes

So I have a i7-9700 now and I want to upgrade to i9-9900k would that make msfs more smoother etc?

Except for 1 or 2 FPS, you won’t notice any difference.

2 Likes

Hahaha really but will it make difference with stutters etc or the stutter is just msfs right ?

Bcs I know i7-9700 is a good cpu

The upgrade from a 7700k@5GHz to a 10850k@5.1GHz incl. 800MHz faster Ram gave me 5% Gain and a little bit more smoothness in FS last feb… Not a big deal :joy:

edit
But the upgrade was worth every penny in other applications. :wink:

1 Like

Pfff LMAOOO HAHAH

1 Like

I have a 3080TI and 12700k, it makes a difference, smooth is a good word indeed.

1 Like

1 Like

SO true! That CPU was so good, but needed a bit more threads.

1 Like