Anyone using NeoFly v4?

NeoFly 4 has released:

NeoFly 4 is out !

3 Likes

I figured I’d download it. I have used NeoFly 3 off-and-on with some generally positive feedback. It was fun having some structure to my flying. I never went all-in with NeoFly 3 because I knew eventually 4 would be out, and your progress in 3 does not transfer to 4.

Anyway, flew one simple mission in the C152 and had fun. I think I’ll give 4 a chance and fly a few more missions to see if it’s something I’ll keep in regular rotation.

1 Like

I had this same experience. I am a recent convert from Xbox to PC and had picked up NF3, but when I saw NF4 was in beta, I quit flying 3 for the same reason.

I dabbled in the NF4 beta, but have really poured it on in the last couple of days and have been having some fun with it. It’s painfully slow earning money and I’m dying to upgrade to a bigger aircraft, but at least I have my beloved C170B as my starter plane. Things could be much worse!

Gonna struggle along with the C152 for as long as I can. I see that you can increase your proficiency in the qualifications section to get XP multipliers. I think I’ll be needing that ASAP.

Does it work with the JPL/WB mod?

EDIT: Scratch that, I see you can tick “Show 3rd party adons starter aircraft” and then you can pick it…

It appears to load in thousands of third party planes/liveries if you select that option during install, but I didn’t see that as a default option. Entirely possible I just missed it or didn’t properly learn how to import it.

Edit: I just missed it :slight_smile:

I might sell my default C152 and switch!

Tough choice!! :smiley: For 3rd party I have:

• Aerolite 103 (no)
  • JF Warrior (maybe this, get some use before A2A comes out!)
  • JPL C152 trike OR taildragger (tempted)
  • Sting S4 (ooohhh)
  • Van’s RV14 (fast!)
  • Wilga (really?!)
  • FlyInside Bell 47G (yeah, right!! :stuck_out_tongue: )
  • GF Mini 500 (haha, don’t think so)

Became a Second Officer today. You’re all invited to my promotion party. Stand by for details.

There are still some quirks I’m figuring out in NF4. Starting a mission on the runway can cause various issues like cargo not loading (because engine is already running) or getting a taxi speed violation because it might have missed your taxi segment.

I’m also not sure if I like enabling the manual mission trigger or not. It seems like if you forget, or do it too late in your power down, some triggers are missed.

This could all be down to pilot error, but I haven’t had anything too serious happen. Maybe missed out on a few XP here and there.

So far, so good.

I did pick the US Southwest as my starting region. Arizona/New Mexico/Eastern California. The winds and occasional 10,000 ft terrain really make the 152 pretty tough to fly. Lots of stall warnings on a couple missions, and nearly one deadly stall on final into Kern Valley.

2 Likes

I installed v4 to give it a try and to see how “solid” it is. Well, my first flight/job did not go well. I should have started with a VFR Sectional handy. I chose a job with the most $$$ and shortest distance. I launched into the night towards my destination. When I was about halfway there I started planning my arrival. I quickly learned that I screwed up. My destination is a seaport, not an airport. And the 152 doesn’t float very well. I really wanted the $$$ so I came up with a plan. I decided to fly over the water runway (invisible at night) to a small strip of land very close to the shore big enough for the 152. My landing was pretty good all things considered. I found a dock-like object to taxi on as close as possible to the water runway. I got close enough to complete the job and get the $$$.

Since this was the first time using v4, I had no idea what would happen next. I figured I could take off to my starting airport using the same tiny landing strip without getting wet. When I returned, I discovered that all the new job listings originated and the seaport I just left. No problem! I’ll just put some floats on the 152. Except there are no 152s with floats. Maybe I could start from that little strip I used before. No, not close enough. I have to start at the seaport.

When I selected a job, v4 tried to send me and my 152 to one of the water runways. But then MSFS displayed a warning message questioning my pilot skills trying to takeoff using a water runway for a 152 and refused to let me sink my plane.

Almost literally, I’m sunk! I have to use a water runway for takeoff for any jobs. Which I can’t do in a 152. I can’t upgrade because I only finished one job and have very little $$$. I guess I could quit and call my boss to pick up the 152. How could v4 allow me to schedule something that won’t work?

I stopped using it for a few days and when I returned, I was going to find out how to fix my problem. I eventually found the Neofly “magic” that moves planes and pilots to new places but not for free. I picked a suitable airport nearby to move to but it cost a lot! I actually lost money taking that job. I’ve put it away figuring any pilot losing money on flying jobs isn’t going to be an employed pilot for very long.

4 Likes

Part of the fun with NeoFly is the unexpected places it takes you. It’s my favourite way to explore the world. That said, you could simply have taken off from the small strip of land and fly to the nearest airport, no need to have a job running. NeoFly would then offer you new jobs based on the “proper” airport you landed on.

I’m a newbie, never used Neofly before. I’ve been done some flights, but I’ve never received works to back to my base. The only way I’ve found it’s buy some goods demanded in my original base or back in a empty plane.

Is it a way to create routes from/to a specific hub or base?

I had something similar happen. There is a filter on the jobs screen where you can exclude jobs with water runways (and other things).

As a first time user, I didn’t know about filters but probably should have before I started.

Apparently they are close to releasing a more formal manual.

As a brief NeoFly 3 user, I’m somewhat familiar with the foibles and peculiarities of the program, but there is still some trial and error to becoming fully familiar with it. I’m still learning and occasionally making mistakes.

But it’s been fun, and something new to keep me interested in MSFS.

All of that was supposed to have been addressed. I know I reported on their Discord that aircraft such as the H4 were appearing as options for purchase at land-based airfields.

They had noted a fix for the water vs. land-based aircraft in recent release notes.

If you’re on Discord, it might be a good idea to report your experience to them, so they can check it out.

I need to pop up to the Discord to report this… I’m loving V4, but after buying a C140 with floats to replace my uninsured Piper Arrow that crashed on a third-party scenery glitch, I realized the delivery airport for the (non-amphibious!) float C140 was a runway airport. Tried to see if I could scrape along the runway but nope, wouldn’t move.

Luckily I was able to move my pilot and the plane to a very nearby water runway for a few hundred bucks…

You might be able to use “slew” to get up in the air. It might not log a takeoff. Just a guess.

Just sorta skimmed over this, but for those who say earning money is really slow, all you gotta do is go get the treasure once a day. When it spawns, buy a cheap plane near it that will do the job, pay to transfer your pilot, and easy money.

There’s a treasure hunt?

Yes, it pops up once a day. It should alert you when you start the program giving you the time to complete it. It looks like a purple flag somewhere in the world. Then you just have to figure out how to get to it. The tough ones are the middle of the ocean. I’ve got 2 or 3 Big Radials Geese and a G44 so far here and there :slight_smile:

1 Like