Apparently 200% render scale in PC settings does wonders for VR performance

For yur 3080 + G2, I would do Reprojection Off, OpenXr on, no custom res so set to 100% and then MSFS VR render to 100% and then Render Scale for PC @ 200%. You should be able to pull that off.

Sounds like a reasonable assumption - I shall unlock it and try again. Thanks.
Update. unlocked Usercfg file; changed between 100 and 200, and back to 100 in PC - no change visually at any point, sadly.
100 on left, 200 on right
Screenshot (265) Screenshot (266)

I note that the only change (found with 'ExamDiff) in the Usercfg file is shown in screenshot - no other settings are being changed:

Ryzen 7 3700x 32GB 2080S - didnt do squat for me. In fact I must have been having some sort of lag even though it was smooth as I was getting quite seasick… when I reverter back to my original settings, I was fine…

Cannot believe this but for me it’s TRUE !!!
Very weird ! I can from pilots seat see all the tiny nav console numbers etc, the terrain below is also improved significantly,

Osobo should be on board with this … it’s crazy

1 Like

What I’m mostly missing in this thread is people mentioning their base resolution. My theory is that the VR quality is somehow bound with the 2D quality. Like the sim first rendering in 2D then afterwards converting that to VR 3D. Since headsets like the G2 are higher res than 1080p that would explain the improvement in quality for people with low res screens and why others (like me) who already run in 4k don’t see a difference.
I’m guessing not a lot of people have 4k screens because setting 200% render scaling on those is practically impossible, you can’t even use the menu.

This could be some error in the rendering logic where it doesn’t render in the VR headset resolution but that of the flat screen and then does some additional processing to scale it to the VR reaolution.

5 Likes

I agree, we need to get all the specs of what people are using and their settings. Including their monitor resolution.

1 Like

Eager to hear your opinion. I haven’t tried it yet but seems to have some merit. I too am in a happy place currently with oxr 50 and taa 100.

I have too wondered if monitor resolution matters in fact I am testing it now. I have a 4k monitor, running at 4k pushing render scale to 200% with a reverb G2 and I did see the clarity. But I am curious as why some dont see it.

1 Like

With my setup, everything you’ve said makes sense. Without listing everything, i9 - 10900KF, 3090, Reverb G2, 64 GB & 1920 x 1080 display.

At 200% PC Render I see an improvement in visual quality - trees at high speed are where I can always tell or at least where I think I can. Of course this is subjective & placebo may be in effect. Like you say, a render logic bug seems most likely. I can see it - once fixed there’ll be a million posts from oblivious people using 1920 x 1080 displays saying OMG wow amazing.

Wow the 200% render scale trick really does make a significant difference in visual quality and smoothness! I rarely comment on these types of threads, but this trick is the real deal. I haven’t seen the VR experience this smooth yet. I have a Reverb G2, 3080, and 10700k.

3 Likes

I don’t know but every time I load a flight everything is fine then I start taxing to the runway and sim crash’s VR pauses and then crash’s this has been happing since the last update.{ Update for Nvidia users follow kaloot800 post can be found down further in this forum. His Nvidia settings work perfect, good for MSFS I was so frustrated with stuttered VR play and crash’s however after this setting change I’m getting real time play clear and realistic. Thank you for the post Kaloot800 no stutters and every thing is clear even at busy airports with a mass cloud cover.}

No change here.

5900x/3090/64gb Pimax 8kx
nvidia 466.11
pc scale:100->200
vr scale:100
steamvr scale:50 (3332x3080)

2 Likes

What’s your monitor’s resolution?

What’s your monitor’s resolution

standard 1920x1080, game in windowed mode roughly 80% of screen

That’s kind of weird! Oh well, it was worth a shot maybe. I’ll need to check, but I’m pretty sure if I change my scaling, then these numbers change - in 2D - I don’t use VR though.

Totally agree, these people who are against informative videos need to wake up.

3 Likes

Spent the last hour or so testing this and it has no noticable change on my system. I’ve restarted, turned on and off the VR at various points. Was encouraged to see it had reset my PC render scaling to 100% at one point, but changing it after that (including restarting again) did nothing.

nVidia 2080 (466.63)
Valve Index (100% in Steam VR)
1440p desktop resolution
HAGS off

My basic in game VR settings are 100% render res with TAA. I ran it in full screen mode.

1 Like

In my case, nothing much changed FPS or smoothness-wise. But the shimmering I was getting before (and it was HORRIBLE) went away completely. I can put up with a bit of stuttering. I haven’t checked my FPS but it’s decent enough considering I’m using an AMD RX590. :slight_smile:

Ya think? :wink: Yes, this is about what we see in VR.