Apparently 200% render scale in PC settings does wonders for VR performance

So, someone in the Facebook group Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Virtual Reality just brought this to everone’s attention. This actually brought significant improvement both in terms of performance and visuals for everyone that changed the setting. It doesn’t make any sense at all, try it out for yourself though! I’ve done my fair share of fiddling around with every possible setting in every possible application just like the rest of us, but this one weirdly makes a noticeable difference.

Yes, it’s just like the title says: bump up the render scale for the PC graphics (not for VR) to 200% then check it out in VR.

We would really need to bring this to Asobo’s attention.

28 Likes

A few quotes:

Okay, just tried this. Was also skeptical but it works. Made things a lot cleaner and did not affect performance

F*ck my wig , brilliant

Wow. So I just set this with my Reverb G2 + RTX 3090 and I feel like this is the CLARITY I have been WAITING FOR. (also running very smooth)

Ok…this is really weird. I usually have so much shimmering it’s painful to use after a bit of flying. I shoved the setting (for the PC side of FS 2020) to 200 and left my VR setting at 100.

In the Oculus PC app, I’m at 90 Hz on “auto” at the moment.

Started my VR flight and the shimmering is completely gone! 100% GONE! So, I turned my settings back to 120 (on the PC side of FS 2020) and went back into VR and the shimmering was still gone.

So weird, but I’ll use whatever works.

I tried it, it actually was a noticeable improvement, much clearer, much more defined, no more lack of clarity

This is weird! I see a 25% FPS increase in VR using a 1080ti. Looks smoother with flawless AA?

What sorcery is this? Just tried this myself and there is definitely a slight but noticeable improvement in the visual quality and a drastic reduction in stuttering.

2 Likes

So to be clear - 200% render scale for 2D settings? Ok gonna try this later. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

That’s correct.

Haven’t changed anything for me. It might be because of my quest settings. I am using 120hz on 1.9x, and putting 200% render on pc settings did not change any visual. :frowning:

Not sure if this makes a difference, but do you run the game in windowed or fullscreen mode?

Fullscreen.

Sometimes I come across ‘tips’ on these forums that seem so incredible and unbelievable that I dare myself to actually try them.

This tip re. setting 2D render scaling to 200 to improve performance in VR is one example of such a tip.

Well I tried it and I am blown away. I have no idea how this works or why it can work but I get the best boost in VR that I have ever seen. It is like someone has given me a new supercharged VR headset… but nope I am still using my Oculus Rift CV1 on a GTX 1060 6GB. As others have also said the shimmering is almost all but gone as well.

Some sort of strangeness going on here…but I am going to enjoy it big time for now!

Thanks for the suggestion!

13 Likes

I will try this Voodoo magic this evening in my G2. Thanks for the hint.

1 Like

Awesome!

Yes this isn’t one of those "I changed one setting in Nvidia Control Panel from 1 to 1.2 and it gave me one extra fps during landing!”. Something rather strange is going on, significant enough that Asobo would have to investigate it if they want some peace and quiet from the VR community that’s been troubled with bad and erratic performance for “so long”.

Hi everyone!

Thanks to tamalien, this thread has been brought to my attention :slight_smile: !
I’m sharing this internally for some explanations!

24 Likes

Unfortunately I’m away from the computer this week otherwise I’d definitely be giving this a go given the feedback.

Would love to know what’s going on to make this happen.

Edit - would those who have seen improvement perhaps list a few more specifics? What is the base 2D resolution you are using before adjusting render scale? Full screen or borderless?

I would love to say I saw an improvement … but I did not see any obvious change, visually or in the FPS.

(G2, RTX-3090, i9-10900K, 64GB, latest 466.63 driver)

Update (after one day):
Following advice from YouTube video (by vrPilot) I realise that maybe my change to PC rendering did not ‘stick’ and that my flight test was not at a 200 render setting. When I loaded it today I found it at 100! Reset to 200, shut down MSFS, set HAGS to off (I had left it on), then rebooted the PC.
This time my flight resolution, smoothness and FPS does appear to have improved but I find it hard to quantify by how much. Looking forward to doing more testing on this hard to explain mod!

At some point people just start trolling Asobo over their VR…

I was just biting, here my report:
fps increase - 2.459%
‘visual clarity’ increase - 3.713%

Verdict: Clearly noticable improvement!

1 Like

Didn’t see a difference either.

Oculus Rift S, 2080ti, i9 9900K

I wonder whether it has anything to do with the increased rendering matching the hmd output more closely, might be a good idea if everyone posts their screen resolution. Mine is 2560 × 1440 and the rift s is 2560×1440

Just whatever you do, make sure they don’t fix it :DDD

18 Likes

Extraordinary! Massive improvement for me in terms of visual clarity. No perceivable performance loss either. I have a 2080ti, i9 9900K and reverb G2. Normally I play pancake on 3440-1440. Normally I play VR on 70 render scale in sim, and 70 in WMR developer setttings and reprojection on automatic. This bizarre tip has given me a noteworthy uplift! This has to be witch craft!

3 Likes

Same for me. No change.

Could be a placebo, but normally i play on 80 scale in VR and 100 at PC, now 100 VR and 200PC and could notice a smoother gaming and visual experience.
But all physic basics are gone with this, because normally your GPU has more workload, when it has to render the PC picture on a higher resolution while VR gaming.

This is all very odd!

Logically, setting a high render scale makes the machine crank itself up to render the graphics at full tilt. I always thought VR settings were independent of the 2D settings, so altering 2D shouldn’t make a difference, yet does apparently.

So again, logically, 2D and VR are inter-related after all. In my case with the Quest2,the HMD is reliant to a large degree on the quality of the USB connection. In my case that’s 2.1 GB.

I’d be interested to see what anyone using VD or Airlink reports.

I’ll try it out later when I get back from my travels and see what happens.

Thanks for the somewhat revolutionary tip!