Apparently 200% render scale in PC settings does wonders for VR performance

If it’s a bug, please say to the team to not fix it :crazy_face:! or at least, make the setting permanent on VR side settings :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Maybe 100 doesn’t mean 100? But if there is a visual improvement as well a a performance improvement, possibly not.

In any case I will check tonight. I’m pretty sure I have mine set to the default of 100. I’m not using VR, so perhaps this only applies to a VR setup for some reason?

Yes I think so. When I play pancake, my 100 render scale on PC definitely aligned to the monitor native resolution. It was just assumed the PC and VR settings were independent of one another, so had no reason to change my PC 100 up to 200, as it didnt have any logic given there is a different VR settings list.

3 Likes

ummm… works? 2080 super here… have to test more

I absolutely agree. Logically they should be entirely independent and that has always been my assumption too. I have noticed in the past that when I come out of VR (with my 70 render scale), it has amended my pc render scale to something lower than my standard 100. I assumed this was just a bug (and I manually just set back my pc render to 100 when I noticed that), but now given this tip has really worked, I am suspecting somewhere in the code is some unintended interdependency on the pc and vr render settings.

1 Like

I’m totally excited about it:

Impressive results for me as well:

fps increase +0.815% (sometimes even more)
visual clarity increase +0.4711%.

Conclusion: objectively a big step forward :rofl:

1 Like

When you mention increased clarity do you mean the 3d view or the flat pop out panels like the vfr map etc.? I have noticed a clear dependency of those to the flat screen resolution. When I’m full screen on my 4k monitor they are super crisp. If I put the sim into windowed mode and make it smaller they become blurry / distorted. Like it’s trying to scale it up from the smaller view into the full screen resolution.

In wondering if this is somehow something similar. Where people with small 1080p monitors scale up the effective resolution to 4k and everything becomes sharper. Don’t know. Will have to test it out in the evening if I see any difference.

1 Like

I tried this on my 2080 using the Reverb G2. I must say that I really couldn’t quantify any improvement. It did seem a bit clearer (it was very clear) but I’m not sure it wasn’t just my imagination, or even some confirmation bias. It was certainly no worse than before. I hope someone makes a video comparison so we can all see more objectively.

For me, it didn’t make a difference either. No noticeable difference in visual quality or performance.
5600X, 3070, 32GB, G2, latest driver.
OXR60/TAA80 Medium settings Motion reprojection on

No changes for me as well,
Do not put 200% when your base resolution is set to 4k… slideshow!!!
It’s exactly the same performance and image quality for me 1080p set at 200%

I have 5600x AMD with RTX 2080 (non TI) 32 gig ram 3200mhz. Reverb G2
Still low 20s fps. I need to find a 3080 !!!

1 Like

For those who it didn’t work for try exiting VR while in a flight and re-entering VR. I didn’t notice any difference on first try but this is what worked for me and wow what a difference! I would say a slight performance hit on my end but still very flyable and a lot clearer! Rift S, RTX2080 Super, i7 8700k. Great find, Thanks!

The fact the 2D Render Scale go down sometimes from 100 to 70 which is my value in VR happened to me also several times. Last time was after the last SU4 update.

AFAIK it’s a bug they have from day one as it happened to me pre-release. It’s a conflict in the UserCfg.opt file (mine is in directory “C:\Users<myusername>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator”) where they have 2 main caterories, one called “Graphics” and one called “GraphicsVR”.
In both those categories appear (wrongly IMHO) the sub-category called “VRScalingOptions”.
In “Graphics”, so for monitor settings, I have:
{VRScalingOptions
Enabled 0
TemporalScaling 1.000000
SpatialScaling 1.000000
}
Which math my 100% Render Scaling in 2D

In “GraphicsVR” category for VR headset I also have:
{VRScalingOptions
Enabled 1
TemporalScaling 0.700000
SpatialScaling 1.000000
}

Which match my 70% render scaling.

So my guess is they sometimes update the wrong one.

As I said this bug exist from day one and wasn’t fixed apparently. Why it could improve the VR renderer when raising the 2D Render Scaling still a mystery. I didn’t try yet, will do tonight.

5 Likes

As weird as it sounds, it certainly seems very noticeable on my machine. Outside scenery seems to be the same, however in the Pitt’s special for example I can now see writing in the cockpit that I didn’t even know was there. Before I found that moving my head closer to the dials etc wouldn’t actually make it any clearer to see, but now, I can move my head right in and read all the writing on labels and stickers very clearly. Same in the spitfire, I just assumed some of the labels were made blurry, but not it looks great. For anyone that has played Hot Dogs, Horse Shows and Hand Grenades, it’s very similar to when you pick a gun up and read all the writing on the side by moving it close to your face.

I will try and record the findings to compare when I’m done playing, but I often find the footage from OBS does not look as good as the headset does anyway.

Im running a 3070 and a Valve Index.

The usual suspect could mean it raise also the VR Render Scaling (as they have the bug I described above). But people should see a degradation in fps in that case…

1 Like

For me the most noticeable differences were in the outside scenery, for example, flying over NY looks even more detailed, sharp and in focus than before. Strangely, everything also runs more smoothly, so less FPS drops. I never measure my FPS though so this is purely subjective.

1 Like

I suppose one could check the resolutions being reported in the dev console output to see if anything odd is happening.

1 Like

That’s a fair point. I once set 200% render scaling on my 4k screen and the app became unusable. The menu was like 0.2 fps (one frame every 5 sec).
This tip could be limited to people with small screens. It is possible that the improvement is the default experience on a 4k screen with 100% render scaling.

2 Likes

For an indépendant test I got my dad to test it on my computer, he reported the same, so I remoted into my grandads PC, set the changes on his and loaded him up in the Flying Iron Spit and he immediately exclaimed how clear the details on the wing were, there certainly seems to be something to this.

2 Likes

I get no difference. I fact, whatever I set the 2D render scaling to (say, 200) is reset back to what looks like 100 when I switch to VR and then back to 2D, even though it still has my selected render scale (200) shown on the bar. VR looks exactly the same no matter what I set the 2D render scaling to. I have a 1070. I do run the Oculus debug tool… might that be interfering with what you’re all seeing?

Edit: I turned off Oculus Debug tool and it made no difference. Are you folks sure you were getting your full VR experience properly in the first place?

I’m not seeing any difference using SteamVR (WMR HMD), did benchmarks ranging from lowest (30) through to highest (200) and they’re practically identical, this is with MSF in both windowed & full screen mode.

Edit: restarted sim between each benchmark

1 Like