TnT Quest 2 Settings - Sharp and SMOOOOTH!

Hi thanks for yiur reply how to you roll back.

I was under the impression that the FOV settings in the OTT only relate to what fraction of the FOV (vertically and horizontally) is reproduced on the 2D screen for monitoring purposes. Hence, it has nothing do do with the rendered FOV within the whichever VR headset you’re using. Is that not correct?

Just uncheck the option to enroll in the beta channel in the Oculus app. The app will download and install the latest official version.

Thank you. With these settings I’m having the bext experience to date with MSFS. Much appreciated.

2 Likes

It seems that it SHOULD work only for the 2D mirror but that’s not the case. It also crops the image sent to the headset. Some say this might be a bug, but for us it’s a useful one. :slight_smile: I found two older threads that go more deeply into this:

Hi All, apologies it’s been a while, but great to see how alive this thread still is!

I’m just making you aware of this little/big wonder!
It was found by Ben M. in the MSFS 2020 VR Facebook group, but shortly after also posted here. I coudn’t test it yet, but VERY curious about this one as the echo is awesome and very loud this time!

Just to be very clear what the crazy trick is here: you have to adjust the Render Scale to 200% in PC settings in MSFS - not in VR settings! You probably know that in Flight Simulator, Graphics settings are set separately for PC (2D) and VR. You can switch between both at the top of the menu. So go ahead, change your PC (2D!!!) render scale in MSFS to 200% and expect something nice to happen to your VR visuals - Asobo sorcery… :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Tony

I followed the thread about this 2D trick but as I am on holiday I didn’t have the option to test it myself. One question for you. What is your native 2D monitor resolution. There seems to be a relation to this…

I tried this setting, but for me it didn’t make any difference, I got the same FPS and stutters, no increase of smoothness unfortunately under the same test condition (landing challenge St Barthelemy), but for some it allegedly works fine (Quest2, RTX 2080 Super, latest drivers).

As I posted in the linked thread, it did work for me in a big way. I had both render scales set at 70% (1080p monitor, Quest 2). Now that I’ve set the PC scale at 200, everything works much better. At 70 VR render scale I’ve got the same smoothness as I previously had at 50, and at 90 VR render scale I now have the same smoothness as the old 70. So playing with the VR render scale I can now have either improved smoothness or improved visuals, depending on what’s important in the various flight scenarios. And in general everything is a bit smoother, so less random “stuttering”, which is subjectively much less disturbing.

I noticed this last night regarding fov, not sure why.

If you use low setting ie 0.5 and 0.5 for instance it made a difference but not at a higher setting… maybe it’s being calibrated differently…not sure when this changed as I hadn’t flown for a couple of weeks before this weekend.

Hey there … can just somebody help me with a 3090 and a Quest 2!? What are your latest settings to run smooth? Using OTT? ODT? i except hags and game mode off. Have the oculus app to 120hz and 1.7 but it stutters. OTT running on 1.0 18hz. Is there i must to create a profile to work OTT correctly? Whats your nvidia settings? May someone with a running system and this specs help me pls. Sry for crying :frowning:
Edit: iam running 30fps nearly ground at towns but it stutters. The vr flight sim guy almost has best exp. But how?

Have you tried many tweaks from the original post of this thread? If not yet, try it first and then develop your own seasoning from it.

There are a few schools of thought where to set supersampling,

The approach on this thread is to set in oculus app at 1.1 and super sample in OTT at c1.7.

Reducing fov in OTT can take workload off pc also

Render in msfs is whatever you cpu gpu can handle, mine is set at 80

As for nividia control I only change a couple of setting, refresh rate fast and pre rendered frames 3.

Try 72 hertz particularly with setting of 18 in OTT or if you get 30 FPS try 30 with 90.

120hz wouldn’t work for me

I have a 3090 also, you can start as said above to change to 72Hz. Forget about 120, we’ll never get that unless they optimize like crazy and add some DLSS/FSR.

That said, with 72Hz selected and ASW on, you’ll “only” need 36FPS to have a pretty smooth experience.

My SS in Oculus app is on 1.3 if I recall properly. 100% in game, glass cockpit Low.
I don’t use any other tool or fiddle with any other settings.

And I couldn’t help but notice that I’m slowly loosing FPS everytime they release an update.
But they’re actually working on optimization for VR (as well as flat screen) so it could go back to something more reasonable.

Long story short: 72Hz, SS 1.3, ASW on, 100% in game, glass cockpit Low, and then you can play with the settings to find what fits you best.

But let’s be honest, even with a 3090, it’s really hard to get a good experience without sacrifices.

Edit: Talking about optimization: PerformancePLUS Flighting Opportunity - Microsoft Flight Simulator

Thx mate and thanx to you all. Il try this out. But i just cant understand two weeks ago i was fine with this settings and now after something i dont know maybe the nvdia update or something nothing works again.

yes i did and this is why iam asking

Well it’s all good, but what do you do to get sharp, clear, crispy picture outside of cockpit? For example I’m using A320NX project mod and everything inside cockpit (buttons, screens, labels on overhead panel, etc.) is pretty clear, smoth, readable like in 2D. But outside picture is not, taxiway / runways labels are not readable at all. Did anyone ever get that clear?

BTW: tried with topic start settings moving it up to 100% TAA, different settings in Oculus app, from 72Hz 1.0 (Oculus debug tool SS up to 2.0) to 90Hz 1.7 (debug SS 1.0), well outside picture is beatiful overall but labels are not readable in any setting, so…

My idea is increasing screen resolution at the PC setting, Not VR setting. This certainly improves legibility on texts in VR, i.e. those in VFR map and navlog although I’m not sure it applies to the signboard text as well.

I can’t read the taxi yellow signs with a 3090 if they’re not 2m away from me. Unless I apply a full (1.7 I think) SS + 200% in game (VR settings) but it is then unplayable.
So it’s not just you.