TnT Quest 2 Settings - Sharp and SMOOOOTH!

Hey VR pilots,

I’m writing this guide after almost two months of tweaking, testing and applying various setup schemes.
First of all, I would like to send out big thanks to @CptLucky8, @TheOriginalBabu and @TheFoyalais here in the forums as well as Steve Walton aka “VR Flight Sim Guy” and Jose Rick Rentas aka “theVRpilot” on Youtube. You guys are great guides and helped me (and likely many others) in getting FS rolling well in VR.

BUT WHY YET ANOTHER VR SETTINGS GUIDE?

1. My approach is partially quite different to the most common guides.
  2. I’m blown away how sharp, detailed and smooth FS finally runs on my PC. I’m finally not changing any settings anymore for more than a week, because I just know THIS IS IT.
  3. I want to share this great FS in VR experience - seriously hoping to lift as many of you there as possible!

IN A NUTSHELL FOR PROs : WHAT IS DIFFERENT TO OTHER GUIDES HERE???

• Renderscale of 60% in game. Yes, you read right - and it’s still sharp and clear, but only with the super-sampling applied as per below!
  • Clarity and great image sharpness achieved by a double super-sampling combo:
    • Oculus PC app: Render resolution 3920x1984 (reads as 1.1x at 80hz)
    • Oculus Tray Tool: Default Super Sampling at 1.7

EDIT March 26th: after all recenet Oculus, Flight Sim and Nvidia updates, I can crank up the super-sampling to 1.9 in the Spitfire / C152 / Bush Plane type of aircraft, it’s running smooth and the clarity is just WOW! For broad stability across many systems, I recommend SS of 1.7 as a “safe harbor” now.

THE ABOVE 3 SETTINGS ARE THE CORE.

• After many tests and big hopes, I finally dropped Oculus ASW image-reprojection. It has great potential, but at this stage doesn’t run sustainable and clean enough (judder/jelly artifacts & stutters)
  • Oculus Tray Tool: Mirror FOV Multiplier at 0.75 and 0.90 (big fps boost by an almost “invisible” FOV reduction) - please remember to reset and click on SAVE every time when restarting VR, even if the figures are saved, the actual setting in the runtime isn’t always persistent!

EDIT: A special chapter on the FOV (Field Of View) Settings

The right FOV-settings are very individual, depending on the face shape / forehead / how deep the eyes sit in the skull, IPD (Inter-Pupilar Distance), glasses yes/no, etc. Therefore I recommend testing the FOV reduction individually as per your vision and preference. The goal is to reduce the FOV as much as possible as it really helps on FPS performance. At the same time, we don’t want to introduce visible, straight horizontal and vertical borders to your vision as it’s very annoying to feel like looking through a square window or a cheap VR cardboard. The edges of your vision should remain round in order not to bother your brain.

This personal testing is best done in the Oculus home, looking straight forward. Please apply the above settings and roll your cursor above the Save button, but don’t press. Put on your headset, look straight and then press “Save”.

• Horizontal FOV: If you notice straight vertical display borders at the right and left edges of your vision, you have to increase the first value, let’s say from 0.75 to 0.80. Check again. If you don’t see any borders even at 0.75, try reducing further down for as long as you notice the borders. Save the lowest-possible setting where the borders are still not noticeable.

• Vertical FOV: same as above, just with regards to the second value and the boarders on top and bottom of the screen. Try reducing further as much as possible, but still without the visible “square” and save.

• Nvidia Control Panel: ALL DEFAULT SETTINGS except for Vsync=Fast and VR pre-rendered frames=2!!! AGAIN: no “high performance” power plan, no “high performance” setting for texture filtering - just keep it at “quality”, no “low latency mode” etc. etc. - it’s all causing micros-stutters because of over-tweak - keep it simple and balanced to get it smooth, trust me - just the 2 settings as per screenshot below.

• CPU Power Plan: go for “Balanced”, “AMD Ryzen Balanced” or similar. Don’t go for “highest performance”, QuickCPU, ProcessLasso’s “BitSum Highest Performance” etc. etc. - UNLESS YOU ENJOY MICRO-STUTTERS. Tweaking your PC to its limits makes it stumble! These stutters are very short, but they’re noticeable and there in almost every second - killing the immersion!

WHAT CAN I EXPECT BY APPLYING THESE SETTINGS?

• A sharp and detailed picture, especially on all textures, clear cockpit instruments (even small EFIS fonts) and landscape.
  • SMOOOOTHNESS! (As long as your PC dates not too many years back from mine): FS runs stable around 40-45 fps for me, thereby finally having enough headroom and the clarity and smoothness feel awesome.
  • Disclaimer: of course things can get a bit slower in super-dense environments (e.g. NYC, the updated London, Tokyo etc.) or in heavy conditions like a storm and/or heavy air traffic or busy airports. But in an average flight, scouting in VFR or cruising in IFR, no matter where on earth - you should be able to fully enjoy the beauty of this breath-taking sim.

Once more on the core rendering settings being the “magic” of this guide: please try exactly this combination before tweaking on:
1. 60% renderscale in game, AND
2. Render resolution 3920x1984 in Oculus PC app, AND
3. Default Super Sampling at 1.7 in Oculus Tray Tool

Another Oculus “feature” and hint: you have to ensure Super Sampling in Oculus is really running at 1.7, not just showing as such in OTT as this setting also isn’t persistent. You have to (re)set it after having started Link and while in “Oculus Home” in VR. If you still use the standard Oculus home environment like me, you can easily check if it’s applied by looking in VR on the trees outside, right-hand. The distanced leaves should become very crisp and clear.

I have also tested many similar, close combinations like 70% renderscale and 1.5 ss, but they’re not as smooth and the image is not as “crisp”. There is a really special image crispiness that “clicks ON” when applying the above combination.

WHAT’S THE PRICE FOR THAT SMOOTHNESS? ANY TRADE-OFFS??

I acknowledge being blessed by a fresh and fairly strong PC, which is likely not the case for many. However, with me running now with 40-45fps, there is still plenty of headroom for other systems before you drop below the critical mark of 30fps - I hope at least! And when it comes to 3xxx users like me and others here and in FB-groups, many are still struggling a lot with poor performance - despite good hardware and because of a wrong configuration. I hope here to help this audience too.

And the trade-off?
Well, reducing render-scale in FS to 60% sounds harsh. However, the only really noticeable down-side are outlines/ contours of objects getting a bit of a “chiseled” look. One user called this precisely a “more pronounced aliasing”. You can mostly notice it on “wiry” structures like bridges, fences, antennas and also at the outlines of trees and buildings. Everything else is perfectly sharpened by the double super-sampling. Landscape textures, building textures, taxi signs, cockpit instruments - all really sharp! Believe me, it is a great deal for the overall quality and smoothness you get!

MY SPECS

• Ryzen 9 3900x
  • ASUS TUF RTX 3080
  • 32 GB DDR4 RAM @3200Mhz
  • ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming
  • 2TB M2 SSD
  • Quest 2 64GB + Elite Strap + VR Cover face cover and Elite strap back foam pad (I highly recommend the last one for long-wear comfort)
  • Logitech X56 HOTAS
  • Nvidia driver: 461.92
  • Oculus PC driver v26
  • Latest Windows build, all updates, mainboard hardware drivers all updated

I am aware that my system is ranking in the higher 20% of PCs, but due to my headroom (40-45fps) I think satisfying results can also be achieved on many 2xxx cards or other strong veterans like a 1080Ti and also many other CPUs - some “older” Intels may go very well tool!

THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT TO MAKE THIS WORK

Please don’t pick and apply some settings and disregard others, thinking they might be irrelevant or you don’t trust they help. If you want to give my solution a serious try, please apply ALL settings from my screenshots as I’m totally sure that my results are achieved by this carefully configured combination. If you’re not satisfied afterwards it’s all back to your preferences, but please give this one a diligent try.

((e.g. I experienced that only slight deviation in the 3-factor render/super-sampling combo changes the image quality and/or performance drastically. Same when changing little settings like Nvidia’s texture filtering from default “quality” to “high performance” - just to complain minutes later about Asobo programming jittery and unclean textures… ;-))

OTHER CRUCIAL THINGS TO CONSIDER

• Please trust me on all “turbos”, been through all of that: All these GPU & CPU apps, over-tweaks and other snake-oils mostly don’t help at all, but often cause bad impacts to quality and overall smoothness. You perform maybe 1-3 fps better when tested in a long-term benchmark, but the trade-off is your PC constantly stumbling over its own pace or in other words: micro-stutter.
  • Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) settings are fragile and the Quest 2 tends to revert back to defaults after sleep and/or Link restart. You have to manually re-apply them in OTT after each VR restart.
  • Changing Super-sampling to 1.7 or the FOV values only works when in “Oculus Home” - not while in VR mode in FS. Don’t trust your main OTT settings like “ASW=off”. Even if the app shows “off” at start, ASW is in fact most-likely running on “Auto”. You have to select the drop-down and re-confirm the setting each time for it to take effect.
  • Please close all browser windows, unnecessary apps and tray applications.
  • Air traffic and online players are an awesome experience, but can also heavily impact performance / stutter. If I want a perfectly smooth flight I mostly go for the compromise and switch it off, especially if flying in very busy areas like Chicago. I know this may not be an option for many of you though…
  • be mindful of real-time virus protection, it can impact performance. I use Malwarebytes and it’s not affecting FS performance, but Windows Defender and other tools may.

THE START PROCEDURE

Go in this order:

• Q2 can stay permanently connected with USB link cable, otherwise connect.
  • start Windows
  • start Oculus Tray Tool (OTT)
  • put on headset
  • confirm to activate link in your headset
  • in OTT, “re-confirm”=reset manually all settings on the main tab, also click on the save button besides the FOV values again
  • put off your Q2
  • start FS
  • once arrived in FS main menu, press CTRL+TAB to launch VR mode
  • put on the headeset
  • confirm/reset your headset position with SPACE
  • you’re all set in VR. Get ready for takeoff!:+1:

WHAT IF IT STILL RUNS SLOW?

1. In game: reduce graphics settings to medium/low. Primarily clouds, reflections, contact shadows, trees, cockpit refresh rate
  2. In OTT: Reduce super-sampling from 1.7 to 1.6 or 1.5 (remember you have to switch VR off and on in FS to take effect) - worst-case to 1.4
    • VIRTUAL DESKTOP (VD) is also a great alternative to Oculus Link if you just can’t get it smooth. Link issues are often “linked” to USB 3.0 issues (cable/port/mainboard etc.). VD delivers also great quality and I plan to publish a separate guide for VD as I also have it running well, but let’s first see how this one goes…
  3. Check out this fantastic game settings guide which describes all features and their impact on performance in great detail:
    [HOW-TO] Graphics Settings and Performance Guide (SU5 Complete Retest) (8/2/2021)

WHAT IF IT RUNS SO SMOOTH THAT YOU FEEL YOU CAN AFFORD MORE??

With the latest FS and Oculus updates, FS seems running way more stable and clean. This is not just my personal experience, many VR pilots reporting better overall performance. So, if you feel you still have some spare FPS headroom (especially on a 3090 or similar) my recommendation for best-looking higher settings are:

1. Before cranking anything else up: try increasing the Super-Sampling in OTT / ODT from 1.7 to 1.9. It works for me in certain planes like the awesome Spitfire and the image clarity looks just amazing!
  2. Try carefully increasing in-game Render Scale:
  • 60% is still my recommended setting as it’s fail-safe in any conditions and across a wide spectrum of PCs
  • 70% reduces the visible aliasing of edges, however funny-enough I find this setting overall a bit more blurry compared to the “crisp” 60%. I know it sounds crazy, but have a look yourself. And it runs noticeable slower than 60%
  • 80% I’m happy for every pilot who can afford this setting, Great looks in the distance, no aliased edges.
  • 100% welcome to FS visual heaven. And yet it still works for me sometimes, e.g. on a bush trip in the middle of nowhere, flying a simple bush plane. But it’s rather limited to work in simple conditions only…
  1. Clouds set to ULTRA look fantastic, but can get very fps-hungry, especially in heavy weather
  2. Reflections set to ULTRA look fantastic on water with just a fairly small fps-tradeoff
  3. Windshield set to ULTRA introduces nice inside-reflections on windows, but comes with a certain FPS-trade-off

COME ON - NOW ON WITH THE SLIDE SHOW!!!

Here you go. Please try to reproduce this setup fully. I cannot guarantee it will all work as good on your setup, because PCs (and VR on top) are pretty complex and often quite fragile systems.
However, I’m very hopeful this works great for you guys, crossing fingers and will try my very best to reply to your questions, comments and findings.

Should WE find further tweaks really helping, I will of course include them in this guide. I’m just not that much into placebos and for now, I’m 100% happy with the results… :wink:

(sorry for screenshots partially in German, I hope you’ll figure it out!)
Nvidia Control Panel: ALL DEFAULT except for just 2 settings:

• Vsync=fast
  • VR pre-rendered frames=2

Gamemode=ON (not that relevant tbh)

Rather switch HAGS off - it caused micro-stutters for me

IMPORTANT: Oculus PC app, Quest 2 config, just like this:

VERY IMPORTANT (you have to re-select all settings in Oculus Home to re-enable them on every VR restart):

Important Update on the Bitrate Settings:

• For fast GPUs AND genuine / high-quality link cable & USB SS10 port with bandwidth >2MBps: set Bitrate to 500 AND in the Oculus Debug Tool set Dynamic Bitrate to OFF (awesome, flawless picture quality, looks like zero compression!!!)
  • For moderate GPUs and not the fastest link cables: set Bitrate to 250
  • For AIRLINK: you MUST set Bitrate to 0 for the sim to run in VR!

In-game settings: really thoroughly tested and carefully selected. My favorites are how contact shadows look on trees and grass, how dense trees, grass and waves look when set to “high”, I like crisp shadows. You may need to go much lower with shadow maps on older GPUs though.

Reducing the glass cockpit refresh rate to MEDIUM or LOW gives you some additional fps-boost, but I agree to multiple reports saying overall fps-smoothness suffers a bit by doing so. The sim feels a bit like “un-synced” then with tiny stutters… I therefore stick to “HIGH” for now.

33 Likes

Thanks this is awesome, I will try it soon!

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed guide, I’ll give it a try.

So far, after countless hours of testing in past weeks, I’ve found great success with these settings: 80Hz@5136x2608, Render Scale@100, SS 0 (Ryzen 3600, 16GB RAM, 3080), so I’m very curious if it can be improved even more.

Anyway, I’d recommend Texture Resolution at Ultra to get even more visual clarity for only a minor bump to performance.

2 Likes

Many thanks and yes, I’ll test ULTRA textures thoroughly again. All the graphical settings above are on purpose a bit “relaxed” in order to keep enough fps headroom for me and the wider audience when it gets tight (landing on busy airport, heavy weather etc.).
Very curious to learn from you how you’ll find this very different rendering/super-sampling approach. Based on my experience with your current settings you should be blown away by the smoothness, but let’s see…

1 Like

@TonyTazer1504

Thank you for your kind words!

You got me wondering about the NVidia Texture settings (Quality vs Perf) so I did try yesterday. I’m not sure I can see much difference in either quality or perf in the end, so I’ll keep quality from now on (and I’ll update my topic later with this)!

However, I’m wondering about the VR pre-rendered frames. On the 2070S the best (and not just FS2020) seems to be 1 for me. What difference do you get between 1 or 2 on the 3080?

@Ohmsquare

AFAIK this is only about the aircraft textures and it might even just be about the decals textures (typically the text written on different placards and windows). I’m not sure there is a visible difference between Texture Res. HIGH and ULTRA, especially with so little pixel count in the headset (it might be more dramatic a difference in 4K for example). However when using ULTRA you might be using more VRAM and there is always a tradeoff here.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to write this guide. I have also spent many weeks trying to find the perfect settings for me. I am now at a level where I am 90% satisfied, but knowing how finicky this simulator is, I’m scared to change strategy now but you seem pretty confident so I might do it.

1 Like

Hey there, pleasure and thanks again!
The VR pre-rendered frames = 2 was one of my major findings in eliminating micro-stutter.

However and this is important, this is dating back to times where I experimented a lot with Oculus ASW. I can definitely confirm with ASW on at any setting, this helps massively. I’ve also found that low latency mode = ON overrides this and keeps it at “1”. That’s also why I keep low latency mode OFF. I have to admit that I didn’t test the impacts again after ditching ASW, I just kept it as a thing that showed me massive improvement before with ASW on.

My hobby-nerd explanation for this setting supporting less stutters and I hope it makes sense is that the GPU thread can render/prepare 1 additional frame while waiting on the CPU/main thread (which is mostly the slower and limiting one).
Ultimately I’m not sure, but the results I get are really so smooth, that currently I don’t dare touching anything (except for little tweaks with in-game settings).

1 Like

Hi absolutely love these settings could i sharpen up at all cockpit clarity for the f15 by doing anything.

1 Like

Good guide, Im glad you took the time to report it like this, some good ideas to grab and test.

I also turned ASW OFF recently. The ASW management itself consume CPU and/or GPU obviously and I saw this with my test scene. I had 38fps with ASW ON (requesting ASW ON locked to 45) GPU usage was around 90%. it was stuttering a lot. Same test scene and I reached my 45 with ASW turned OFF, and GPU usage was also around 90% (weird I know). I can reproduce this behavior, tried from yesterday 3 or 4 times with success, just to be sure as results can be really inconstant with this sim. So now I keep it off, less stutter, more fps, until devs optimize as ASW could be a good things, later…

1 Like

Yes, totally agreed! ASW is a great technology and given enough computing headroom the results can be amazing. On a good day and when everything works it can really look & feel like 80 or 90 native headset fps. But as you rightly said: it’s eating up free resources, so you need some good 10fps “spare” for it to work. And then it often suddenly comes with aftifacts and jelly-judders. I tried everyting 18fps, 30 fps, but finally gave up and hoping for ASW 2.0 to get enabled in FS… It’s out since April 2020, but needs some limited, active programming by the devs to get enabled in games (transmitting Z-axis pixel data etc.). Let’s hope and stay tuned…

1 Like

I’ve done some quick tests and found your settings to be a very good compromise between visuals and performance. And yes, it is smooth and still crisp, even with the lowered resolution. But I’ve found aliasing to be more pronounced now with reduced renderscale, however you mentioned that yourself already. And distant objects (trees and buildings) seem to be more blurry, but that might be just my imagination.

I hate to derail your thread with another alternative settings and perhaps make you question your ‘sweetspot’ findings, but since we have same GPUs I wonder what you would say about the settings I use. If you ever have time to try it, of course.

The settings highlighted in red I’ve found to be important in terms of visibility or performance and I’ve tested them thoroughly. None of it should be surprising, except perhaps the reduced Terrain and Objects LoD. While in 2D, I prefer Terrain LoD at 200 and consider 100 to be minimum, I’ve found that in VR there’s not much immediate visual difference between 70 and 100, while the performance gain is noticeable.

3 Likes

I think you’re right in that the difference between Texture Resolution on High and Ultra is noticeable mainly on aircraft textures. But I believe that, at least with Quest 2, the difference is visible on the enitre cockpit panel. In fact, what made me switch to Ultra was the increased resolution of all the steam gauges and even the GNS panel (I fly Da40 Tdi, dlx ed.).

EDIT: That might not be true actually.

You got me interested in trying! I’ve been documenting how EFIS resolution depends only on the render res, not the post-processing res, and how this forces using TAA100 for best legibility, but it didn’t occur to me texture resolution would change the EFIS rendering resolution (actually I believe I tried but didn’t find any diff). I believe I’ll have to see for myself! If this is true, this will allow changing some of my recommendations in “Balancing Visuals and Performance” chapters of “My VR Settings” topics.

I believe this depends on the headset resolution. In effect, if you’re lowering the rendering resolution (TAA scale) or the post-processing resolution (the resolution of what’s displaying in the headset), there are combinations which are lowering the effective perceived resolution to a point a lower terrain texture resolution (Terrain LOD) is not distinguishable from a slightly higher one. However there are combinations making the best of each pixel (what I’m trying to describe in “Balancing Visuals and Performance” in my topics), and in this case raising the Terrain LOD is making a visual difference even in the Index, let alone in the G2.

PS: about LODs, You might want to read this:
LOD: settings and suggestions
LOD Problems - Distances revisited

2 Likes

Thanks for the links, I am quite amazed by your thorough analysis.

I am curious whether you find any success with the increased Texture Resolution. It’s quite PITA to test, because changing that setting requires game restart.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your review and sharing your findings and settings. Fully agreed on the aliasing being more pronounced at 60% (nice wording btw), it’s also the same reason for trees and buildings looking “different”, even if I wouldn’t call it blurry, just missing an accurate term…

And yes: as it’s just this, then it is the price I’m more than happy and willing to pay for the huge fps gains. Solid world smoothness kills smooth-looking trees imho.

I was just checking your setup and have been at its core as well, also tested in multiple flights: renderscale 100%, full Oculus-app SS, no SS in OTT. I recall well how it looks and how attached I’ve been to 100% renderscale. It’s a good setup, just wouldn’t give me the steady motion/fps smoothness I’ve been looking for.

Terrain LOD is yet another, long story. I would love to run it at 200 in VR as I love mountains and only then they start getting these interesting, real shapes, especially in distance. Unfortunately 200 is quite a performance hit and does work sometimes (e.g. on bush trips), but not in all conditions. And almost any value inbetween 100 and 200 causes LOD polygon pop-up motions which I don’t like. 100 does them only rarely. I didn’t dare going below 100 yet as I thought this would already be a hard compromise, but I’ll try…

2 Likes

One piece of info that I would like to have along with your settings is the render resolution that is printed out while in VR MSFS2020 (plus the res info that is printed out with the FPS printout in Dev mode). I just don’t think I am getting the same result as you are (I get a much reduced clarity in the Q2 and not really smoother). I have a 9700K@4.8Ghz + RTX2070

2 Likes

Hey man, nice work! I just tried your settings to the letter, oh so smooth.

My trouble is that I’m used to flying with:
Oculus - 72hz 1.3 (4704 x 2384)
Tray Tool - 1.6
FS2020 - TAA 80 (sorry folks I said 100 by mistake!)
ASW - off

So your settings seem really burry for me by comparison

I fly a lot around Florida, with all its photogrammetry around Miami and Orlando, plus Keywest Int addon by FS Dream Team. I also fly a lot from EGGD Bristol UK2000 addon, being my childhood home. All these places I’m buttery smooth with the aforementioned settings.

But now London is killing my FPS after this update, and Heathrow is also giving me issues.

So I guess I’m just sharing my thoughts for discussion… this is the trouble with VR, I have seen the beauty of what I could have, and it works so much of the time, but then I get slapped down again whenever I venture close to the big PG areas or hand crafted airports! Darnit…

I’m getting closer to my sweet spot, everyone’s is different with their individual rigs of course…

Oh FYI my spec is:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair 3200 MHz
Storage (OS): 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2
Storage (FS2020): Sabrent Q 1TB NVME M.2
MoBo: Asus X570 Tuf Gaming Plus
Cooler: Corsair H100x
PSU: Corsair RM750x
Case: NZXT H510
Monitor: 1080p 60hz HDMI Benq
VR: Quest 2 64GB

Oh, and a seperate thought on the FOV:

I wear glasses, so have the spacer fitted in my Quest 2.

0.8 x 0.8 FOV is perfect for me, I can’t see the edges at all.

The Quest 2’s native FOV is so good, and i see a lot of people narrowing it down in various ratios to gain FPS, which is totally worth it.

BUT, with your settings, I tried both 0.75 x 0.9 and 0.8 x 0.8, and the performance was the same. I enjoy 0.8 better because it’s as good as 1 x 1 for me.

Plus anything less than 0.8 H or V means the black edges are visible and any momentary lag when turning my head is really distracting.

Anyways… enough rambling, hope that’s good food for thought. I wonder if people who don’t wear glasses might find it worth putting the spacer in, just so the FOV can be reduced but you’re getting “goggle vision” edges rather than seeing the edge of the rendered FOV.

1 Like

You my friend are a wizard!
im serious… ive tried guide after guide , sunk whole days tweaking stuff but nothing comes even remotely close to your suggestions. The image is as crisp as 1.3 in Oculus Software and 100 TAA in the Sim, but it runs soooooo much smoother. Its like voodoo magic, and i cant even express how thankful i am (and yes im still dead serious!) Thanks - you just made it so much more enjoyable for me.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I have a G2, so much of your careful numbers related to resolution settings don’t apply. But I did learn something useful anyway. Given your findings, I decided to stray from my self-imposed requirement to keep in-game render scaling at 100%. I felt that it was better to lower the resolution outside the game (as necessary to give FPS and smoothness) and keep it at 100% in the game to have the best cockpit instrument clarity. However, in trying your ideas, I discovered that increasing the resolution in OpenXR (kind of the G2 equivalent of OTT) while reducing it in the game gave BETTER cockpit instrument clarity. By quite a bit, actually, with approximately the same overall resolution (as shown on the slider in the game). The Garmin text was not any better, I don’t think, but the other instruments are much better this way for me. However, interestingly, the FPS dropped for a given resolution when achieving it with a higher setting outside the game and lower setting in the game. But the clarity is worth it, I think.

The other thing I was motivated to try was seeing what resolution I really need in my headset. I finally decided/saw/proved to myself that the G2 is dang good for cockpit clarity (my #1 priority) with “just” it’s native resolution of around 2160x2160. I’ve set my overall resolution at this now by setting OpenXR to 100% and in-game render scaling to 70% instead of the other way around.

I’ve also gotten encouragement from your post to try (again) to run the latest 461.40 drivers with my RTX 3090. We’ll see how it goes this time. I also took your advice on the Nvidia control panel settings. I may try only 1 pre-rendered frame if I experience much stuttering or tearing.

1 Like