Rift S - flashing white light

Hi All,

I hope I can be of help. We all know that the FS flashes are linked to Oculus PC runtime v26, which was in Beta recently (causing flashes for those participating) and became the official v26 release two days ago - still with the same flashes in FS.

WORKAROUND: change Khronos-OpenXR runtime from Oculus-OXR to SteamVR-OXR. Tested successfully and it killed the flashes for me!

• you DON’T NEED need the Steam-Version of Flight Simulator for this to work
  • you NEED Steam-client including working SteamVR (I run on 1.16.8 in Beta mode)
  • IMPORTANT: Oculus Debug Tool / Tray Tool core settings like Super-Sampling, ASW mode/off, FOV are still working - even if running via SteamVR. Additional SteamVR resolution-settings, motion smoothing etc. are complementary - that means they come on top! Bear this in mindin order not to over-tweak your resolution (FPS!) or in case you want to switch ASW off (which I definitely recommend)

For the ones knowing how the above config works: come, see, confirm back and spread the word! For all others, instructions below:

1. How to change Khronos-OpenXR runtime in your Registry from Oculus-OXR to SteamVR-OXR?

• I’ll skip the classic regedit process, because there s a way more convenient way in SteamVR, as described by @CptLucky8 here:

2. How can I opt-in to SteamVR Beta?

1. From your computer, open the Steam app.
  2. On the left panel, click the drop-down menu and select Tools.
  3. Right-click SteamVR, and then and select Properties.
  4. Go to the Betas tab.
  5. In the Select the beta you would like to opt into drop-down list, select beta - SteamVR Beta Update.

3. How do I launch FS on Oculus using SteamVR now, after applying the changes?

1. Activate Link (Quest) / Oculus Home (Rift)
  2. If you are using Oculus Debug or Tray tool, reconfirm all your main settings now
  3. In the Oculus Home, go to apps and launch SteamVR
  4. Launch FS and wait until loaded into Main Menu
  5. Switch to SteamVR (default CTRL+TAB).
  6. Enjoy FS in VR without white flashes!

4. How do I configure Flight Simulator to run smoothly?
Please feel very much invited to my guide and the subsequent forum discussion:

4 Likes