Approach Transition Using SimBrief

If flights are landing to the east at KORD, ATC assigns a GIBNS (Fix/Waypoint) approach transition. If flights land to the west, a VOGLR transition is assigned. ATC also specifies which of the several possible runways to use, and the plane is guided straight-in for a nice ILS landing.

I just started using simBrief today for many reasons, including that they consider wind direction when assigning take-off and landing runways. My problem is that none of the possible routes mimic either the GIBNS or VOGLR transitions, so ATC requires that I create such an approach transition in the air. Obviously this defeats the purpose of using simBrief.

FYI, I did try to add the VOGLR/GIBNS waypoints using the Route Finder feature, but that resulted in really bizarre flight path revisions. I was hoping someone could tell me how I can create an approach transition for a straight-in ILS landing that ATC would accept? Any help you can provide will be most appreciated.

So this isn’t answering your exact question, but Navigraph said the STAR/SIDS for KORD do not work in MSFS because MSFS is missing a couple of runways in the sim.

That being said, I too, have questions on approaches when it comes to KORD, so great question

Thanks for letting me know. Now that you mention it, I do recall that the sim only has Runway 10 listed, not Runways 10R and 10L.

I’m guessing the default ATC does not read your flightplan (I’ve never used it). I see both the GIBNS and VOLGR waypoints are in direct line with an ILS approach. For GIBNS it is a SHAIN2 star. My preferred ATC program is Pilot2ATC, and I don’t have that issue as I load my flightplan into it. Simbrief also uses the current wind conditions, but you have the flexibility to change anything.

KORD is on the list of Navigraph tracked airports that have missing/incorrect runways. Asobo is the only one who can fix it.