Are cloud bases in new METAR system in AGL or MSL?

I’ve just sent yet another Zendesk report with the above pictures attached, because it is so very clear in there the clouds are generated at the wrong level.

I urge everyone else to do the same: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

1 Like

OVC200 too. Looks like scattered towering cumulus to me. That is another issue. I don’t see any genuine overcast anymore.

1 Like

Yep this is an issue too as you say, all the lower clouds seem to be these horrible towering cumulus everywhere.

1 Like

Filed a zendesk report.

The clouds seems to be injected under ground level.

Zendesk Ticket number:

2 Likes

I have also filed a zen desk report about no overcast clouds. Will do one later for clouds at ground level.

1 Like

Hello everyone, no one is ignored. The team is aware of the situation (as stated by the official tag). As soon as we can share more information, details, or any kind of communication, we’ll do.

We understand the frustration behind this kind of bugs and the team is dedicated to solve these problems.

When a fix is server side, the sim doesn’t require any update from players and might be faster to deploy. Some fixes may require pushing code and, in that case, this may result in having to wait for an update.

Any update on this will be shared once available.

33 Likes

thanks for letting us know… I hope we’ll be able to enjoy this game before Christmas, because for so many who enjoyed your beautiful weather system (me) the game is a no go at present…it’s no a blackmailing intent, it’s just not as immersive and jaw dropping as it was before. Thank you.

12 Likes

Hi Ollie, Thanks for the reassurance that the team is aware. This has been a game breaking bug personally for me. I haven’t used the sim since SU7 dropped and have not made the marketplace purchases I was going to because I have lost all enjoyment in the sim right now.

Perhaps it might be worth feeding back to the team that people aren’t spending money in the marketplace because these kind of bugs make them not want to use the sim any more! Maybe they have already noticed that though already.

Anyway, thanks again for your tolerance of the users’ emotions and posts, and thanks for the update.

Cheers
Andy

10 Likes

Thank you for the update, Olie. I feel that if the fix requires pushing code then waiting until Feb. 2022 is just something that can not happen. Any fix be it server side or an update needs to be pushed as soon as it is ready. To me this is the very definition of a game breaking bug.

4 Likes

Yes same story here

4 Likes

Guys do you think this could be related to the cloud height bug:

4 Likes

What a mess

I have noticed something similar too. Sometimes if i stand on my home airport and i have set altimeter to correct baro, altimeters says, that i’m under ground level.

1 Like

Yes then I would guess that this is also linked to the overall height bug.

@OlieTsubasa443 are you able to pass this info on to the devs, seems to all be linked to the height bug: Live Weather wrong altimeter altitude - #2 by utd4life12

Yes, the whole thing is getting crazier and crazier.

I had previously pushed it to an add on scenery. But I also noticed that multiplayer planes sometimes hover and have very different altitude indications at the same places, even if only by a few feet. I don’t know if this is also somehow related to this.

Personally I have reduced my addon purchase rate since SU5 already - and to zero since SU7 despite of Black Friday offers and such - as the lowered quality in weather depiction made me think about the honesty of all the announcements (“sim for simmers” and the like), especially since very quick after the console version of the sim was out the “Reno” announcement was made and I couldn’t avoid the thought that despite all promises it might as well be a “game for gamers”.

No offence against all the XBox users, but what I took from the communication beforehand was that there would be no losses for PC users, but to the contrary there would be headroom for even more improvement. And that was - as it turned out with SU5 - not true when it comes to graphics fidelity and weather depiction!

I think MS has a very clear picture of the usage of MSFS at any given time (just think of the disclosure in one of the recent Q&A’s that they have data for every CTD happening) and thus is aware what bug is causing how much reduction in usage of the sim.
That doesn’t stop me from using my “customer-powers”, but I fear the relatively few people caring for accurate weather don’t have much impact on the business as a whole.

I’m trying to stay optimistic, but boy, do they make it hard!

9 Likes

I play on xbox series x and before the update the game was a dream! even now the terrain is even better, but the weather has been broken across both platforms… I don’t thinks it’s because of the xbox that can run the game without any issues, it doesn’t even activate the fan when playing.

1 Like

And now imagine that it was even better before on PC! I took from their announcements that the XBox launch would have no impact on the quality of the PC version, but maybe I only herad what I wanted to hear.

I noticed this last night as well. The interesting thing though is I was using REX, not live weather. My home airport elevation is around 90 ft, but after calibrating to local altimeter I was -10 or so.

So perhaps this altimeter issue is bugged in the core sim and doesn’t only appear while using live weather.

I think this would have happened anyway, from what i read here this games have had similar issues just after lunch. In my opinion when they keep adding and removing from games (these modern ones) this will always happen. I play many other games and simulator and unfortunately the story is the same…they add something and they break another…and of course when you have ti manage the game in multiple platforms it become even messier. At least MFS it’s just across xbox and pc…many games are still coming out for last gen, current gen (including Nintendo switch) and pc. I wish we weren’t here talking about the bugs but playing for hours with this gorgeous game.

1 Like