Are cloud bases in new METAR system in AGL or MSL?

Hello,

looks like really bug with MSL base, can confirm now at LOWS. Clouds few about 2500ft as reported, airport at 1500 ft and clouds hit the ground…

Now totally unfyable, on Vatsim definitelly…

3 Likes

They did something NOW!

Looks like some settings has changed, do tests all pls how it looks now, compare with real.

1 Like

How do you know? update?

1 Like

This is likely something that could be fixed/adjusted on the server side, rather than requiring an update of the core sim.

5 Likes

Hello,

really lucky and strange situatio. I had on LZIB on current QNH altitude about 600ft what is incorrect (as my previous post). After while (2min after my post??) it changed quickly to correct altitude and same QNH. But now same :wink: I restarted sim and load LOWS and clouds are again on ground (another problem not my mentioned with LZIB) so problem with MSL base of clouds is still here.
Really I can imagine that testers of upcomming release are mostly game players than sim related experienced users because then isn’t possible address quickly all bugs related to big expected updated systems/options, this is how I see this. Definitelly this MSL/AGL bug must be solved as soon as possible…

3 Likes

another example, leaving Luzern

Imgur

9 Likes

No. Despite it’s bugs, I enjoy flying on MSFS and think it is the way of the future.

1 Like

I observed this as well. Also I had the feeling that the Ash / Volcano type of clouds under sun light could be fixed but it still does not seem straight forward or not high priority.

I did not try DX12 as it is a draft implementation as Asobo mentioned but I wonder if it will fix this or perhaps it’s the way the clouds shapes are rendered vs light…

2 Likes

Currently at McElroy Airfield in Colorado K20V
Field elevation: 7411 ft

METAR: K20V 201415Z AUTO 18003KT 10SM SCT033 OVC070 01/M03 A3018 RMK AO2

Clouds should be at 10,700 MSL with an OVC layer at 14,400 MSL. The airport is currently 0 mi visiblity because it’s IN the clouds.

5 Likes

Clouds are incorrectly rendered in msl, but would have to be rendered in agl. otherwise the metar makes no sense, if the cloud base is, for example, below elevation of the airport. that’s why the clouds are often on or in the ground.

LSZH 201420Z VRB02KT 6000 FEW005 OVC007 03/01 Q1024 NOSIG

Few on 500 ft and overcast on 700 ft. But Airport elevation is 1416 ft. So msl makes no sense. It has to be agl! I hope, they fix that soon. Otherwise we will often have clouds in the ground.

With every update new cr*p comes in here. Life traffic has not worked for months. it won’t be fun anymore.

2 Likes

Great, now that we need to brush up our CAT III landing skills for the next few weeks, the HUD on the CRJ does not work either :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

Weather preset with clouds such as broken clouds appears ok, its just the live weather which so many of us use and enjoy is broken. This MUST be quickly fixed in a hotfix.

5 Likes

Seeing the same thing. Clouds are way too low. Hope they fix this before the next Sim Update but it sounds unlikely.

2 Likes

Hello,

shame for not weekend Vatsim flights due that AGL/MSL clouds problem in Live weather. Somehow i think about that problem can be with their info about clouds under sea level solution with this Update. Looks like they probably forget something to test…

3 Likes

Even with an airport that is practically at MSL the clouds are too low. Doing a flight from YVR with the Metar showing BKN018 the clouds were right on the runway. There is more going on here than just a mix-up between MLS/AGL.

Also, on a flight out of Heathrow last night, there were only a few clouds on the horizon when the metar showed OVC (I forget the height). The cloud depiction did not match the metar at all.

5 Likes

Pyroclastic flow over LSZH :scream:

11 Likes

Also seen ‘wrong’ clouds at airports close to sea level. Looks like they are 1500-2000ft too low…or something…

1 Like

Definitely, something is really wrong with the live weather. I can’t understand how is it possible that the “improved” weather is actually way worse than the previous one.

Clouds base is messed, they are touching the ground pretty much everywhere:

And, in general, live weather is not consistent and look chaotic, low quality and unnatural:

Clouds look awful and semi transparent most of the time, like 2d style.

Haze appears and disappears instantly and only renders like 5 miles away.

Please Asobo, don’t let us like this for the next 3 months! :frowning:

14 Likes

Sometimes they are very grainy and ash grey, but I think most of the time they are okay. But those ground touching clouds are a no-go and it would be an imposition if we had to wait for a fix until the next sim update!

1 Like

I too am experiencing clouds at ground level practically everywhere. It’s not only unrealistic, but it slows down FPS to a crawl at handcrafted airports.

5 Likes