Are people too thin skinned?

Not an angry reply, just a posting to the fact to what it says.

If you took it that way or as some sort of attack it was not intended that way.

1 Like

Not a problem :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ive always been a fascist sysop. Running company/college computers ( ah the days of the great wares hunt finding all those naught users, using unix tricks to hide there booty,) bbs’s forums etc.

2 Likes

Are you asking Kanye West for his opinion or us ?

1 Like

Exactly Why I no longer post here any more.

1 Like

I entirely agree, and hopefully this is the main “take-away” from this thread.

I believe that people should be “slow to anger and quick to forgive” allowing for cultural differences.

For example, a very common woman’s name in Vietnam is a violently obscene insult in the U.S., and a very popular woman’s nickname in the U.S. is a similarly violet insult in Vietnam.

Am I going to jump up and down because you mentioned your wife’s name in a posting?  This is where tolerance and understanding become essential - all things are not created equal, and we need to understand and be aware of that.

3 Likes

Great post and one I agree with :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Good point, basically. What I would like to add is my view that people are not too thin skinned. Rather people of the more sensitive kind mostly need to defend their position more than someone who just boldly voices his or her view. The former is quite easily seen as a softy, or too woke, or the good-manners-police, the latter is more often seen as honest, trustworthy, or brave. It’s a cultural thing, sadly, in my view.
There are some people in this forum who, although they agree with what is posted, don’t like the wording and the tone with which that is done. Sometimes a flag is raised in these cases.
But thanks for the post and providing the opportunity to get different views on this matter.
Cheers!

2 Likes

That is consistent with the answer of Tamalien in the earlier topic, hiding submits is based on CoC

On most forums I attend (quite a lot) a moderator will not allow discussion about decisions, but the moderator WILL state a reason. For instance, that reason can be put into a small box, added to the hidden submit. When the decision is based on the CoC, the rule could be put my the mod and discussion will not occur

In this case, the opener and the conversation speculated about future releases of aircraft by Asobo/MS. Probably they felt the ironic observations about gossip over gossip was off topic. When a mod agrees with that, why not state the reason “off topic”, by a little standard response, citing the relevant part of the CoC ?

1 Like

The flagging and voting systems are two things that need to be removed from this forum in my opinion, just my two cents!

2 Likes

Indeed voting is a bit pointless except for bug reporting as that can easily count number of errors repetition among users. That was used during betas and it works quite well to identify priorities for instance.

But a post with many likes can be still hold a wrong concept behind. Popularity just means that others think like you, not that you all are right.

Cheers

1 Like

I have ran into this issue numerous times for obvious humor
such as a post i made in the “where are you from” thread where i said flat earth. Post kept immediately disappearing
i thought it was my phone/browser
reposted 2 more times
then bam Account Suspended. No explanation
it’s really bad here

5 Likes

Humor will not be tolerated I’ve found.

They could go a long way just by expanding from the base “heart” only response to threads.

The forum software can be added to, a sample with the possibly offensive blacked out.

qwaepro

4 Likes

Come on 

You’re having a laugh! :rofl:

1 Like

Absolutely true.

I posted in a thread about “how realistically do you fly” where everyone else was talking about the ten-digit precision of the accuracy of their procedures, so on and so forth.

I don’t really give a hoot about accuracy per se, I’m here to have fun.  Buzz the Moscow Kremlin in a WWII yakavich fighter plane and then warp to Washington DC and buzz the White House.

So, since my post was so opposite to the others, I introduced myself as an “uncircumcised heathen” - whereupon I was told that this wasn’t acceptable in no uncertain terms.  What?  I was poking fun at myself and I got smacked. :man_facepalming:

So, now I don’t make any attempt to try to lighten up a posting because I don’t know how it will be taken.

Sigh. . . .

5 Likes

Yeah, definitely, people are too thin skinned. Especially the people who get so upset their awful posts get hidden all the time they feel compelled to whine about it every chance they get.

1 Like

One thing I’ve noticed about flagged messages is that usually I see no reason for them to be flagged. Most of them simply suggest that the MSFS developers don’t know what they’re doing or they’re complaining that they haven’t gotten their money’s worth. That’s a far cry from racist or politically-driven replies that have no place in a forum like this.

But one thing’s for sure - when I see a flagged message, I click it every single time to read it to see what was said. Since it’s rarely truly inflammatory, I sometimes have to read it again to figure out what was so hurtful or insulting about it. And boom, just like that, the person who flagged that message succeeded in making me read it and pay more attention to it than the other messages in the thread.

You might want to think about that before you flag a message. (And no, I’m not talking about actual hurtful or inflammatory posts. Those should be REMOVED and never seen.)

6 Likes

That’s my whole point.

Not so much the suspension per se, but the lack of clarity and transparency in the actions.

It’s important for people to know both what and why they’re being sanctioned, and the sanctions should be administered carefully, sparingly, and humanely.

4 Likes

Try spelling dam with a n
Some of the flagging/censorship is too strong.

Funny thing with the humor
when a mod is in on it it’s fine
smh

This was posted minutes after my suspension for my joke in the same thread

3 Likes

You don’t think humor is universal, do you ? :grinning:
That being said, I certainly do understand that a reader should firstly understand one’s post before replying to it. In the context of an international forum, caution should be the master key.
Sometimes it fails, for obvious human reasons.

1 Like