Are these new clouds in SU15 Beta?

I’m noticing some new cloud types in the beta that I haven’t ever seen before. Not sure I love them though. Sorry for the overexposure in the screenshot. I’m running HDR so I guess that’s the way it is. They are the ones that I would describe as pillow mints. You know, the kind you used to get at old steak houses and bar/restaurants with your grandparents. :slight_smile:

What is your clouds setup in your graphic preferences ?. looks like you are in Low.

Actually quite the opposite. I’m on ultra volumetric clouds, along with everything else set to ultra. I’ve only seen them a little bit. Normally, it’s the regular cumulus type clouds everywhere.

I’ve not seen these. No mention of clouds in the Beta release notes. Were you using one of the standard MS presets, live weather, custom weather, or 3rd-party addon when you saw these?

Live weather. It’s along the coast near Big Sur. We have a pretty good system coming onshore right now. Most of the clouds look pretty good, these were just some weird ones.

That’s weird then. I don’t have that issue with my clouds under the beta (from what have seen so far). One thing I am doing from time to time after an update (I’ve seen that recommendation on an extremal site) is to set your global rendering settings to Ultra (click on apply) and reconfigure your graphical settings as they were. Of course take note of your settings prior that.

1 Like

That’s a good bit of advice. I do something similar in that I just rename my UserCfg.opt file and let the sim generate a new one.

Ok, so you already did it and still not improvement ?

I’ll try again but yeah, I did it when I loaded the beta.

1 Like

Yup. Still there. I inverted my flight plan so now I’m flying northish KSBA to KMRY. FL240 at HRRNG.

And I did load ultra preset and then tweaked my settings back to what they were before.

I also tried to capture my FPS counter if that helps at all. Is it some sort of object limit?

here was mine this morning

Maybe you can also check your graphic card settings if some are not limiting the rendering, you should have an option to reset to default settings if previously you customized some.

It’s almost like it’s a chunk of a new cirrus cloud type. I’m over a cumulus layer and just under a a thinner, smoother layer.

It sure looks like there’s some new cloud types. And some of the good 'ol brown, dirty cumulus in there as well.

The game bar let me get some better captures…

This last one shows some strangeness that isn’t necessarily new to the beta but since we’re talking clouds… Check out the weird splotches (for lack of a better word) next to the arrows. It’s as if the visual layering of clouds from the perspective of the viewer vs. distance isn’t working correctly.

Only thing I’ve really customized in the Nvidia settings is to make the Shader Cache Size 10GB, instead of driver default. Maybe that’s it? I kinda doubt it since when I clear the shader cache via Windows, the most I ever see is a few 10’s to 100’s of MB.

That and Prefer Maximum Performance in the MSFS specific settings.

OK, I just started an all-live flight inc. weather, airborne above Carmel airport. Not a good place to be for GA aircraft today!

Teleported up to FL130. Not much better:

Teleported to FL240:

I can repro your clouds here. Not quite the same as yours, but close enough, IMO. Since I usually fly GA, I’m rarely at these altitudes, so don’t get to see these formations!:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty ugly up there. I did a proper ILS into KMRY and broke out around 800AGL.

Interesting that you were able to reproduce it. It is definitely similar to what I’m seeing. Thanks for the test!!

1 Like

No problem. That’s what this beta program is all about. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve seen these clouds for the past several builds. I’ve only ever noticed them at high altitudes, so I assumed they were simulating some type of cirrus or cirrocumulus clouds.

There’ve been anomalies for a while with clouds, don’t think we’re seeing anything new, and don’t think it’s intentional.

2 Likes

these clouds you guys are showing, are there since the massine downgrade in SU7. if you can try to search the forum there should be endless photos of those clouds. They are not new and definitively looks aweful

6 Likes