Day 3 Woke up and got started early again today. Planned a wheels up at 0700 before the winds started howling again. Today’s plan was to leave Port Hawkesbury CYPD and head for Summerside PEI CYSU for a brief stop and then to Moncton, New Brunswick CYQM for the night to see my daughter who is at the Moncton Flight College.
Weather was good 270/10kts 130OVC 2C. Nice VFR day.
Departed off RWY27 and right away the fun began…more landing gear problems. Now it won’t come up. Checked the CB’s, checked the alternate system. Reset the CB’s. Recycled the gear multiple times. Nope, nadda, won’t come up. Which is a better problem than it not coming down. I had lots of fuel so I decided to press on, plus I wasn’t gonna get it fixed back in YPD.
I decided to divert into Trenton, NS, CYTN. There is a good sized corporate flight department based out of there, and I know the folks well. Maybe one of their engineers can have a look at it. I wasn’t sure I could handle going all the way to CYQM with the gear down, I was grounding 50kts as it was. Darn wind.
The boys in YTN helped me out, they didn’t see anything too wrong, cleaned up the gear and did a regrease, couldn’t test it without putting the bird on jacks and swinging the gear. I said that’s OK, if it was still giving me issues I’d get it seriously looked at in CYQM. They didn’t want to charge me for the work, so I took them to the Irving Big Stop and bought them breakfast.
I took off again and with baited breath selected gear up…and this time it worked. I made course for YQM, via the Confederation Bridge (bridge to the island province of Prince Edward Island) Bouncing along in the ever increasing winds and bumps.
Weather in YQM was decent good ceiling 15sm in DRSN, the winds were getting up there 32022G31.
Landed on RWY29 without any problem, and taxied over to the Flight College.
I’ll get to go hang out with my daughter and her flying school mates tonight. She’s almost finished her private licence, and has another year and half to go to finish everything else up in the diploma program.
As luck would have it, I have a line on a nice Piper Seminole. I am not entirely happy with the Arrow. It’s a great airplane but not for the trip I have planned, plus 2 engines is more comforting when crossing large bodies of water. The little bit of extra speed and better autopilot will help. My daughter may get an Arrow to work on commercial with.
Oh and to heck with crossing Canada in March, I’m headed for warmer waters. Headed down the eastern seaboard. Gonna stop in Cape Hatteras for a few days of kiteboarding, a couple of other places along the way, explore Cuba and head down through the islands I know well to Panama and then up the west coast.
Stay tuned for more kids.