Asobo - Regarding Ultra Graphics Preset

Asobo, for the Ultra graphics preset, can you change the Glass Cockpit Refresh Rate to High ?

FYI, as others mentioned here, using the Ultra graphics preset seems to magically fix stutters at large airports and make things smoother. If I change anything and Graphics are now Custom the stutters come. So I want to use Ultra preset but with High Cockpit Refresh Rate. I think this should be set to High for Ultra preset.

Greazer.

1 Like

Another info about Ultra Graphics Preset. If there are changes made to LOD in the User Config file, when MSFS is started with Ultra graphics already set from the last session, the LOD settings get over ridden and become set to 2.0.

It should be possible to run with Ultra Graphics Preset and LOD levels over 2.0

1 Like

not if the usercfg is set to read only and you don’t make changes to the in-game settings. The LOD will stay what you set it to and the game will take the settings from the usercfg.

1 Like

It’s Not Read Only. Did you read my post, I said it was getting over ridden to 2.0 if the last session was on Ultra preset.

1 Like

did you change it to saying ‘Preset Custom’ in the usercfg? If it still says Preset Ultra it will keep ultra settings

1 Like

You need to set the Usercfg file to read-only. That way it won’t be overwritten and LODs above 200% will stick.

My experience is different. Even with Usercfg.opt set to ‘Read Only’, if you adjust a LOD slider or change the graphics preset from Custom to Ultra, the Usercfg.opt file will be overwritten. MSFS somehow has the ability within windows to ignor file attributes
some of that windows file protection stuff I guess.

With the UserCfg.opt file set to:
Opt & Terrain LoD = anything from 3 to 9
File set to “Read Only”
FS2020 cannot change these values set in this file.

FS2020 changed the Options, General Options, Graphics
setting of “Global Rendering Quality” from “Ultra” to “Custom”.

These settings will be used as long as you do not make any changes to the Options, General Options, Graphics settings on the screen.

1. Started MSFS and confirmed Ultra Preset and Exit.

2. Opened Config file and see Ultra Preset and LOD’s 2.0 , 2.0. Changed LOD’s to 4.0

3. Started MSFS and confirm Ultra Preset and Exit.

4. Opened Config file and see Ultra Preset and LOD’s 2.0 , 2.0

This is completely Broken. The changes do not stick.

1 Like

Changes are sticking for Preset Custom only. Not Preset Ultra.

After step 2, make the file “Read Only”.
FS2020 will not change it.

Um
 that’s probably because one is actually a preset, and the other is custom. once you change anything in Ultra it’s no longer a preset, it’s custom. Also changing the file to read only does not allow the game to over write anything, it sounds like you don’t actually have it set to read only. Having the config set to Ultra but putting in any different value actually causes a frame rate drop from my experience. If you want to change anything in that file
 at all, make sure it says Custom, then save, then change to read only in the properties, then start the sim. Also change and make the actually file itself read only, if you make a shortcut to it, and then edit that, or make it read only, it will not stick.
It should read:

{Graphics
Version 1.1.0
Preset Custom

if you want to change anything at all in that file.

Also, the same as before patch, I can taxi or drone around large airports with mostly smooth graphics. But changing any setting and having Custom Preset the smoothness is lost and it’s stuttery. I use AMD 5800x and 6700xt. Other people have also reported this. I plan to stick to Ultra Preset obviously. This is a very strange “feature” of MSFS right now.

Question if you don’t mind:

With the original Config files in use my graphics card was max’ed out constantly. Upping the Terrain and Objects LoD to 5.9 and 3.9 respectively the sustained load has dropped to about 75% in the middle of Miami with 100% Real World Traffic at Ultra (with a few tweaks)

Seems a bit backwards but I don’t know enough about it to know about it.

Just some slight stuttering at these levels when panning left or right in the cockpit (I don’t do a lot of external viewing) but the sim looks incredible. Will try tweaking to see how much I can get.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Ryzen 9 5950
Nvidia RTX 3080Ti FTW3
32 GB Corsair DDR 3600

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.